The a mount is going mirrorless according to SAR

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: The a mount is going mirrorless according to SAR

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Where are Sony on a roll? 4k will benefit Samsung's margins more than Sony's (they sell a lot more TV's than Sony do) But don't expect 4k to break sales records.
Actually I'm glad you mentioned PC's because they are a great example of technology, and market over saturation. Average Joe gets more out of their pc now hence update less frequently, it's "good enough", so the same is applied to HD TV's which are "good enough" for most too.

Maybe I'm one of the few around here to be "eyes wide open" Kubrick style. Makers are desperate for more profits in the ever declining margins on electronic consumer goods. There is always the tech junkie who has to have the best of everything and they pay well for it too. Everyone else just waits for prices to nosedive.

4k isn't that interesting for still photographers, not unless you're a video die hard who (again) predicts that they'll be no stills photographers around as they can pull their 4k footage and get prints from them. Few years ago we were all told 3D TV was the future, that spluttered out of fuel before it even took off. Now they're shoving 4k around trying to find another angle to wallet dent folks on ;-)

On the day we find out Apple are shifting billions of Dollars around Ireland (which is basically broke right now) and pays less than 2% tax (if they actually made a return in the last few years), you'd have to admit the big corporations are not exactly the consumer friendly pals we thought they were! I'm off for a Starbucks now..oops they skipped paying tax too, damn and the wonder why some of us are sceptics :mrgreen:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here in Japan a few weeks ago there was an documentary/news program on TV about Sony. There was lots of stuff about 4k and 8k TV. Also, about Alpha, NEX, etc. Interviews with engineers, managers, inside labs and factories, etc. It was interesting, but more like an infomercial for Sony. Yes, Sony and the others are always pushing the next new thing to get people to throw away the stuff they bought a year or two ago and buy the new stuff. Sometimes people follow along and sometimes they don't. Kodak and the camera companies tried to do the same with 110, APS, etc.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Just on a different note for the moment, my Local camera shop has a used A580 in mint condition for £385, should I get it and is there a way of finding out how many actuations it has done. Also are there any points I should look for. they are offering a 6 Month warrenty, tempting.
Pete
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Somebody at Dyxum has found a way to read shutter actuation count from EXIF - http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/image-shutt ... 97614.html.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

classiccameras wrote:Just on a different note for the moment, my Local camera shop has a used A580 in mint condition for £385, should I get it and is there a way of finding out how many actuations it has done. Also are there any points I should look for. they are offering a 6 Month warrenty, tempting.
Pete
Don't know how to check the activations, but YES, I would buy.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Where are Sony on a roll?
Barry Fitzgerald above.
Maybe here and other such inventions leap frogging competitors like Apple with MS and then Google also MS (double whammy) because Gates missed the switch to the Internet by a year or two. What a mistake.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-new- ... ike-rx100/
May be wrong but is plausible. Maybe I could use one of these in a couple of years for Alamy technical quality when my RX100 is exhausted. Who can predict the future?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

agorabasta wrote:Somebody at Dyxum has found a way to read shutter actuation count from EXIF - http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/image-shutt ... 97614.html.
According to that Dyxum info the SLT (and NEX I’d imagine) has an extra shutter actuation per image (but only in the default live view mode), so if you don’t want to wear the shutter out twice as fast, turn Live View OFF… :lol: :lol:
Greg
bfitzgerald

There is an A580 here with a 12 month warranty on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-ALPHA-A5 ... 20d3279e7a

As for the shutter count electronic first curtain is basically mandatory I would think, I've no idea if Sony's 100/150k or other shutter ratings are for the double action shutter or the electronic one.
I have no interest in pricey cell/mobile phones, last one fell down the toilet by accident a costly mistake! A 2/3" sensor isn't APS-C so in my books it's not really that interesting. But if I were to buy a 2/3" sensor camera I'd get a Fuji X20 it has "real controls" and a proper viewfinder.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Barry
That's cheaper than my local dealer who is selling one for £385 + 6 Months warranty. I had a close look today and it is in showroom condition, the mirror looks spotles and at F-22 there are a couple of dust specs which need cleaning off. That would have to be done before I bought it. I'm not a huge fan of Ebay mainly because you can't see what your getting befor you lay out the money.

I have the Fuji X10, I bought it as a holiday camera and to be honest, to my eyes any way it produces some of the nicest pictures I have seen and is an absolute pleasure to use. I don't care its not an APS-C sensor, the 2/3 sensor does a fine job and probably the best Jpegs in the business, it leaves my D5100 standing for colours.
Pete
bfitzgerald

SRS are safe enough bigger company, though as you say hands on can't be beaten for any camera product condition wise.
I ran across this today on SAR, not sure what that means for A mount. I'm not entirely convinced the new CEO's strategy was the right one to pull A mount bodies this year (bar the A58)

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-mir ... ered-zoom/
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Barry Fitzgerald above
I ran across this today on SAR, not sure what that means for A mount. I'm not entirely convinced the new CEO's strategy was the right one to pull A mount bodies this year (bar the A58)

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-mir ... ered-zoom/
Read that too and really not surprised. More or less as discussed above.
SAR opinionates
Note: A-mount will become mirrorless too. That’s why (I guess) they didn’t talk about the DSLR system cameras
So future E & A mount cameras will become mirrorless with presumably phase and contrast detect sensors and more professional versions will have 4K video. Goodbye to DSLR and OVF. Long live EVF - needed for these sensors that can record "beyond the visible light spectrum".
At the same time, Sony is also developing technologies that further expand the range of sensor applications, including sensors capable of sensing beyond the visible light spectrum, and sensors capable of detecting and categorizing different types of information.
A & E mount probably secure in one form or another, but
for those wedded to DSLR & OVF it is time to consider their position (or grab an A580 if you can find one).
bfitzgerald

Tried that twice with mount changes it's expensive and a real pain if it doesn't work out! I was a bit concerned reading about "smaller bodies" in that SAR article. NEX is already really small body wise, A mount well if they're going to do A37's sizes again that's not a good sign.

I think we've gone beyond the OVF debate, clearly Sony will not listen on that one so anyone hoping an OVF will turn up is likely to be wishing for a long time. I think that's a shame, and a serious mistake esp considering some of their target market simply will not entertain the EVF at all (esp full frame) I still hold the view that I prefer an OVF. If that means I try Canon eventually then we shall see not decided yet what direction to take. Either that or do a Walt on DPR and go on a buying spree with ebay s/h OVF bodies. Sony never really will listen to users so any CEO dabbling is basically playing at the edges, rather than actually doing hands on respond to users.

I've felt for a while Sony just don't have the right people in place. They mess around with gimmicks like panoramic features and smile shutters, yet can't even design a proper jpeg engine. I just don't think the Alpha team has photographers present, it's just usual Sony we offer this and to hell if you don't want it. I pretty much found them the same customer support wise, just not in touch with the customer at all on any level.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Has any body tried telling Sony [UK/Europe] that we are not impressed with what they are doing or more to the point what they are not doing, and lay out the salient points to them.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

classiccameras wrote:Has any body tried telling Sony [UK/Europe] that we are not impressed with what they are doing or more to the point what they are not doing, and lay out the salient points to them.
Yes. I had an exchange with a Sony UK representative a couple of years ago, when OVF cameras were being discontinued, and got nothing but "politicians" answers. I got the official party line, and no actual answers to what I was asking.

It should be noted that, as far as I am aware, Sony has never officially announced the end of DSLR development or production.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

bfitzgerald wrote:... They mess around with gimmicks like panoramic features and smile shutters, yet can't even design a proper jpeg engine ...
One person's 'gimmick' is another person's USP. Sweep panorama, face detect (and all its add-ons), focus peaking, MF assist, floppy-flappy rear screen, GPS, etc. are all improvements for me.
classiccameras wrote:Has any body tried telling Sony [UK/Europe] that we are not impressed with what they are doing or more to the point what they are not doing, and lay out the salient points to them.
Depends who the "we" is. The Sony Fan Boys here, such as myself, are impressed, and say "Sony, bring it on!" . More technical wizardry for me please. ;)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.