A99 Video Short Film Deja Who? Shot at ISO 6400

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
thednalife
Acolyte

A99 Video Short Film Deja Who? Shot at ISO 6400

Unread post by thednalife »

I'm back with a brand new short film made with the Sony A99v and CZ2470 2.8 combo. The last short video I did I primarily shot at 1600 with only a few scenes going above that, but this time I shot 98% of the video at ISO 6400. Even though I didn't have to do that, I really wanted to do a solid field test and get a feel for what this camera can produce straight out of the AVCHD file. Without further ado...take a look for yourself.

http://www.blog.thednalife.net/2013/05/ ... -film.html

Inside of the Bathroom Scene is shot at ISO 640, but the rest of the video is at 6400.

Feel free to C&C.

Thanks for looking!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A99 Video Short Film Deja Who? Shot at ISO 6400

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Both your short films are great, good use of what the camera can do freehand in existing light. We don't see much like this. Canon has introduced a new picture look for all EOS cameras, which does exactly what is said (they announced it a couple of days ago); it's their X-video look. to make DSLRs produce something close to the pre-graded shot from the pro series.

A trick you might like to try is "Kodachrome B - Hollywood style" shooting. Since the classic movie stocks (negative or reversal) were deliberately balanced for Type B tungsten (big movie light colour) all daylight scenes were taken using an 85B or 85C filter - brown, similar to D to A. Night and moonlight FX were produced by removing the filter, not adding a blue filter, which also helped in low light. I'd love to see what kind of general colour was produced by setting the camera to 3200K tungsten balance, and using a D to A filter over the lens. It is supposed to make a significant difference to skin tones, just as it did with film. The Hollywood trick was also very popular with fashion and portrait still photographers, who would shoot Kodachrome A, Ektachrome 64T or Vericolor Type L by studio flash but using an 85C filter.

Super-8 users will remember that their films were the same - tungsten balanced film, shot with a permanent D to A filter in the camera, removed for artificial light.

David