Mirrorless rumours

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Rodney Brown
Acolyte

Mirrorless rumours

Unread post by Rodney Brown »

If the rumour about Sony abandoning all but mirrorless is correct - there's one positive outcome. The brilliant A99 will drop in price and be within reach of more of us Alpha mount/Zeiss devotees.
Let's face it - the only reason we joined this community and use A-mount in the first place was because we are loyal to the Zeiss (and maybe Minolta) lenses. Nobody seems to be a fan of Sony itself. I was using a Contax with Zeiss 50mm Planar all through the 80s and 90s and nothing could touch it (according to reviews) apart from medium format and Leica.
The bottom line is - as long as A-mount survives we have grounds to be content.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Mirrorless rumours

Unread post by Dusty »

Rodney Brown wrote: The bottom line is - as long as A-mount survives we have grounds to be content.
No, as long as the A-mount System survives. A camera is more than the sum of it's parts.

Regrettably, the A-mount system no longer lives. It has no OVF camera, the flash system has been fragmented, and possibly, with the new mirror-less system, older lenses may no longer work. That's just another disaster in the making for Sony.

They want to beat Canikon, but they don't want to play by the rules, and then complain that nobody wants to play with them. Even KD has dumped his a99 for an a900, and Shirley now sports a D600 around her neck. If you keep losing such die-hards as them, what future do you have?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Last I read DK said they got shot of the D600, not sure why that is I suppose he can fill in the blanks on that one.
I keep seeing all this SAR stuff lately, something about Sony predict a 50% increase in lens sales in 2014, alarm bells instantly went off for many folks esp in relation to the screw driven lenses many of us currently have.

Truth is we don't know what Sony are up to, but I think it's quite unlikely they will do any kind of OVF camera in the future, despite demand from users and the general buying market. Either you can meet your needs with s/h ebay purchases for OVF's or it's time to look around at alternatives. Having moved mounts twice before my options are a lot less now. Being realistic Canon might offer some safety in this regard, or it's time to take stock of your needs and maybe something entirely different (micro 4/3 or Fuji X spring to mind)

I'm pretty nervous right now and if Sony do decide to dump screw drive AF, that means all but one of my lenses won't AF on newer bodies. That's not good, of course Sony might follow Nikon and dump screw drive for lower end bodies and keep it for higher ones. But overall right now I think A mount is in turmoil, without a clear direction. Lots of talk about blowing away Canikon in 2014, but the reality is Sony have neither the lens range, nor the flash system, nor the consistency to mount any kind of assault on Canon's iron like grip of the "Pro" market. I'm really not sure what is going on, all we know is Sony's 2013 line up consists of one plastic mount budget SLT model, and a hot shoe change. I don't mind grabbing the parachute again and jumping, but I'm not sure where to land!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

See other thread under this title :-) Explains why we parted with the D600. In June, an Olympus OM-D kit arrives with me (it's actually coming to me to be sold, as Richard owed me money for the D800E, but when he sold his Leica he took the OM-D in part-ex, equal in value to the D800E). However, I regret to say I've had raw files from it, and it's absolute rubbish compared to the most humble NEX-5; just soft and noisy despite Leica lens or whatever. Maybe with some setting adjustments it will perform better for me.

David
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

With all this recent conjecture about the future of 'A' mount, I even considered going back to my first digital system a Olympus E-510 2 lens kit plus a 14-54 high end zoom. I bought these in 2007 and still treasure them, superb metering, superb AF and the best Jpegs in the business, However, going back to a now defunct 4thirds system after using Sony A mount would be a retrograde step in many ways, or in other words, I have been spoilt by Sony.
I would not consider going over to M4thirds no matter how good they say the E-M5 is. [but now all the hype and euphoria has worn off its not as good as some people would have you think for the money]. I had a Panny G3 for a while, nice camera, good lenses, reasonable prices after a year, but awful colours, and very evident over processing on the Jpegs, so I sold it.
Barry mentioned a parachute, I can only think of one, possibly 2 brands back yard to land in, Canon or Pentax. 60D or K511. Pentax would be my first choice purely on the fact that it had in body IS [and a superb 100% OVF]. which like Sony makes the lenses more compact and a tad lighter. There is some excellent third party glass available as well if you don't like Pentax lenses. Another good move by Pentax was to stick to the tried and tested 16MP Sony sensor and they haven't fallen into the crazy Pixel race being promoted by Nikon and Sony.
I wouldn't jump ship just yet as we don't really know yet where Sony is going and I would hate to jump ship and later wished I hadn't.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

If you wait long enough Classiccameras, you will be able to get Sony cameras with new and improved sensors behind Olympus designed and manufactured lenses.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/its-offi ... -for-sony/
The cameras will be mirrorless, but that should not be a problem for you.
Looks like an interesting marriage between Sony sensors and Olympus lens technology.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Personally I cannot understand the constant urge to change camera provider. Maybe I was fortunately in acquiring an A550 and then also A580 before it was too late. Add my NEX-6 and NEX-5N as well as my jewel of an RX100 and really Sony will need to come up with something quite extraordinary to get my wallet pulled up for a new camera. With the prospect of Olympus developed lenses on top of Zeiss it is becoming easier to hang on to Sony equipment in the longer term. With Nikon an uneasy partner Sony will be desperate to increase their own camera offering and help Olympus as well to guarantee sufficient sensor demand.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Wow, thats an interesting prospect, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Sony are the largest share holder in Olympus. The Oly E-M5 already uses a Sony sensor.

It would not surprise me one bit if there is a partial joining at the hip by both companies. The can only do each other good and possibly by pooling what they are best at may see a future for them both in what ever guise that takes.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I get the impression from news articles that Olympus will be only supplying lenses for Compacts & NEX cameras, and not for the Alpha mount.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
classiccameras
Viceroy

That figures now that Olympus have put all their eggs in the Micro 4thirds basket.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

classiccameras wrote: It would not surprise me one bit if there is a partial joining at the hip by both companies. The can only do each other good and possibly by pooling what they are best at may see a future for them both in what ever guise that takes.
Isn't that what they said about Konica and Minolta?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald

alphaomega wrote:Personally I cannot understand the constant urge to change camera provider. Maybe I was fortunately in acquiring an A550 and then also A580 before it was too late. Add my NEX-6 and NEX-5N as well as my jewel of an RX100 and really Sony will need to come up with something quite extraordinary to get my wallet pulled up for a new camera. With the prospect of Olympus developed lenses on top of Zeiss it is becoming easier to hang on to Sony equipment in the longer term. With Nikon an uneasy partner Sony will be desperate to increase their own camera offering and help Olympus as well to guarantee sufficient sensor demand.

I don't think there is a constant urge to change mounts (I would not recommend it myself until you have thought about it very strongly and had some hands on time with xyz brand you are looking at)

I suspect it's more "concern" about Sony's direction. They seem quite oblivious to user suggestions and needs, and this year is basically a wipe out for them. One boring entry model which they cut down too much, one FF one that's too expensive by a long margin..and 2 bodies coming up for 2 years old. That's not exactly strong competition even the most die hard A mount fan would admit that. Sure I can hit ebay and pick up a few bodies, but question is why don't Sony have new bodies you actually want to buy? And with the grumbles about lens gaps, they come up with a 50mm f1.4 Zeiss that came out of nowhere and costs a ton.

Has to be said Sony do some weird things at times. Users are concerned that they have no coherent strategy or longer term plan. Sony clearly have the potential and resources to inflict major damage on the top makers. However they are stuck with Emmanuel de Grouchy, when they desperately need the tactical brilliance of Napoleon. A company that cannot think on it's feet is like an army with no effective leader you can't get where you want or achieve your goals, if you have not laid them down in the first place. This lack of clear leadership and understanding of the market and users, is ultimately what will hold Sony back however many resources or tech they throw at A mount.

I think it's a huge shame myself, but unless you have the right people in place, it's simply not going to happen for Sony. And so far nothing indicates to me that Sony have actually taken stock of the battlefield (or market) and I don't think they have a logical plan either. Continued growth or survival in this market relies on the tactical cunning and brilliance that Sony just don't have. I bet they never even sat down with a paper pad and a bunch of other makers stuff and said "why do people buy this" They just don't really get it, not even slightly.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:
alphaomega wrote:Personally I cannot understand the constant urge to change camera provider. Maybe I was fortunately in acquiring an A550 and then also A580 before it was too late. Add my NEX-6 and NEX-5N as well as my jewel of an RX100 and really Sony will need to come up with something quite extraordinary to get my wallet pulled up for a new camera. With the prospect of Olympus developed lenses on top of Zeiss it is becoming easier to hang on to Sony equipment in the longer term. With Nikon an uneasy partner Sony will be desperate to increase their own camera offering and help Olympus as well to guarantee sufficient sensor demand.

I don't think there is a constant urge to change mounts (I would not recommend it myself until you have thought about it very strongly and had some hands on time with xyz brand you are looking at)
Barry:
You live in that "concern" since you bought your first A-mount DSRL, and you went away and you are back (Welcome back BTW, it's never too late)
I remember ppl on the forums been more than concerned: been desolated and selling all their fine Minolta stuff when Sony took over -they just hate Sony for whatever reasons. Fair enough -then they became trolls "showing how CaNikon (that they use to mock all the time) were better at everything.
People decide who to suffer in life. I believe once you pic a system -and unless you are left behind, like Olympus and the 4/3 system, better to stick on it and try to get the best equipment you can -and now you can get a decent A900 or A850 for a really low price and wait a couple of years and see what's the best option.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

It might be an option down the road, currently A850/900 prices are a bit high s/h for me, but the A700 is selling for a lot less I might look at that.
I just hope Sony start to take note and get on top of the lens gaps, sort the flash system out and resist the temptation to do any in body AF motor removals!

I am quite interested in the Fuji X system, but it's too early to jump on that ship right now. It does have potential though.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: I am quite interested in the Fuji X system, but it's too early to jump on that ship right now. It does have potential though.
They need to improve AF...
Your friend Thom had review all the lenses available for Fuji X, I'm not impressed...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;