Mirrorless rumours

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Mirrorless rumours

Unread post by alphaomega »

Barry Fitzgerald wrote
The camera business isn't quite like that (I don't expect any maker to sell below cost), but I think many of us can see an opportunity for Sony to grab a decent slice of market share with competitive and lower cost bodies.
I have been in both sales/production and general management for decades and the trick is simply to fill your production capacity with the highest unit price possible to maximise profits over the period. Nobody knows if Sony managed to fill their production capacity without reducing prices excessively. If you have no capacity left there is no point in reducing prices. I have seen cases of profitable companies hastily increasing production and losing money on the marginal production increase. Not a good way of doing business unless in the longer term that additional production capacity will actually provide extra jam. If additional demand for lenses are produced from sale of camera bodies there is no guarantee that Sony's production capability can actually deliver the increased demand. There is a balancing issue here and how to maximise profits short and long term.