Organic Seonsors Galore

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Organic Seonsors Galore

Unread post by alphaomega »

I have found the perfect excuse for not buying a new camera until 2015
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/also-son ... nsor-tech/
Today Fuji announced the X-M1 (fulls pecs and price at Amazon, news and reviews on MirrorlessRumors). Fuji is becoming a serious competitor in the mirrorless world and now offers a wide range of cameras (the X-M1 is their first entry-mid level camera).

Also on the sensor front they promised quite some innovations: Two weeks ago Panasonic and Fuji (Source: Fujifilm) unveiled the new organic sensor tech that in theory allows doubles the dynamic range of the current best sensor Sony 36 megapixel sensor used by the Nikon D800 (Source: Adorama). The Sony sensor has 15.3 EV while the new Fuji-Panasonic sensor achieves a theoretical result of 29.2 EV.

But as reported prevails on SAR also Sony is working on the same tech. And Egami just spot a brand new Sony patent describing the organic sensor design. And the new Fuji-Panasonic sensor is expect to hit the market in 2015 only. I believe that by then also Sony’s organic sensor will be ready for mass production.
By then I will probably need a replacement for one or more of my cameras and the wider EV is just the improvement that could get me to pull up my wallet.
The combination of Pana and Fuji is potentially dangerous for Sony if they come first with such a ground breaking sensor.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Organic Seonsors Galore

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Fuji have a history of trying new things and I for once enjoy having an EXR camera, and I'd happily add an X-Trans CMOS II at some point too!
So I'm not at all shocked they are working on a new type of sensor this time with Panasonic.

Sony not sure what they are up to probably something too as I think it's become clear that Bayer has run out of steam and can only go so far in a number of areas.
Question is what are Canon up to? Because they surely have something to show years with the same CMOS sensors they must be doing something, else risk getting left behind even more.

Anyway I would like to see actual products with these new organic sensors, and as before my take is to avoid spending too much on what will be shortly outdated technology, ie don't outlay big cash on a body.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

I picked up a Fuji X-E1 kit last week, there was a local promotion including a free EF-X20 flash and 32GB SD card which also coincided with a bit of a price drop. I couldn't resist. :roll:

It's a lovely piece of kit. The OOC jpegs are about as close to my old KM 5D as I've seen from another camera. I've already installed two(!) firmware updates to add lens compatibility and additional functionality/improvements (stock 1.03. -> 1.05, and then 1.06 came out yesterday), with another major update coming at the end of July (hello focus peaking).

Now if only the weather would improve, I've barely seen daylight since I bought it! :lol:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm very tempted by Fuji, in all honesty, I have not seen better Jpegs from any camera except some early CCD cameras such as the KM5D, Olympus E-500.
The EXR processing is superb.
I read on one rumour site that Sony are working with Olympus on sensor R+D and lens design. Odd bed fellows indeed, but I think we are in for some exciting times, mind you Sony are the largest share holder in Olympus!

As Barry said, I wonder what Canon are up to, they are staying very quiet. Canon I suspect are a big enough company not to be relying on collaborative projects especially in the sensor department. Canon for a long time have worked on the assumption that if it aint broke, don't fix it, which is probably why they have stayed at 18mp for so long. However, I think we will be in for a surprise sooner or later.