SLT or Mirrorless and Tilt effect

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

SLT or Mirrorless and Tilt effect

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I didn't know where exactly to point this question, so decided to put it here as it is related more to SLT/Mirrorless than anything else.

Since SLT/Mirrorless have peeking ability and WYSIWYG, then using a Tilt-shift lens would give you an immediate result in your EVF/LCD (what a dumb question :roll: )... But what is actually happening with a T-S lens? (no need to explain)...

What I am getting at, is it possible to have a tilt effect with the sensor (shift is not possible, I guess)? That is, what if we could control a slight angle deviation of the sensor from its initial plane, regarding the optical axis. And you could obviously visualize it in your EVF. :roll:

Just thinking...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: SLT or Mirrorless and Tilt effect

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I would imagine Doc that tilting the sensor would just make part of the image oof, maybe even all of it, the uncorrected perspective coming from a lens would remain as it was except now it would be oof as well. (that's my guess)
Greg
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Dr. Harout wrote:Since SLT/Mirrorless have peeking ability and WYSIWYG, then using a Tilt-shift lens would give you an immediate result in your EVF/LCD (what a dumb question :roll: )... But what is actually happening with a T-S lens? (no need to explain)...
Yes. You can see the effect and the peeking will show you exactly where the sharpest area is -well, exactly... there is some depth of field involved...
Dr. Harout wrote:What I am getting at, is it possible to have a tilt effect with the sensor (shift is not possible, I guess)? That is, what if we could control a slight angle deviation of the sensor from its initial plane, regarding the optical axis. And you could obviously visualize it in your EVF. :roll:
I believe you don't have enough room (or, phrase it in a different way, you'll need much more room) in order to tilt/shift the sensor in a fashion that you get the effect -and not just a "misaligned sensor" image.
Keep in mind that on a field camera you can pivot front (lens) and back (film) in order to get the miniature effect, or the straight lines everybody dreams about.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Doc, yes, it would work. Same effect as tilting the lens except that it doesn't require the lens to have an extended view-angle.

Greg, you tilt the lens or back (sensor) to compensate for tilted subjects ie tall buildings and such.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

As Pako says - tilting the film plane was how this effect started on Large format etc. DK has a great article about this in the latest issue of CameraCraft. (Perhaps this is what started you thinking, Doc?)

I've read more reviews of the new Samyang 24 TS lens. Seems to be ok once you stop down to f/8, but overall not up to the same level as the Canon equivalent. It is several times cheaper of course! Not convinced that I want this lens yet :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Dr. Harout wrote: What I am getting at, is it possible to have a tilt effect with the sensor (shift is not possible, I guess)? That is, what if we could control a slight angle deviation of the sensor from its initial plane, regarding the optical axis. And you could obviously visualize it in your EVF. :roll:
don't Pentax already have something like this (that's how their astro-tracker works)?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Doc,

Tilting or shifting the sensor would be the same thing as doing it to the back of a view camera.

Find some old articles on view cameras and look at all the illustrations on how that effects the final photo. It's really just the same thing with a sensor, except that your tile is digital and not physical (or as good)! STILL can't beat a good view camera!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I still don’t think it would be a marvelous plan, a view camera doesn’t have an SLT mirror in between the lens and the film/sensor. (it would be interesting to find out though)
Greg