Anyone for a still camera?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Anyone for a still camera?

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

There is a camera that Sony could sell me, but they won’t build it, I want a KM5D with the same layout in buttons and switches but with a 16 or 18MP full frame (plain) sensor, (no focus or exposure pixels) or alternatively sensor similar in design to the new Canon one.
If they include a mirror lockup function and live view on the rear screen that can tilt it would be a bonus, but I don’t want or need a video button anywhere on it, just the mirror lockup Live View button that would be extra over what the KM5D had. The only proviso being that the mirror stays where you put it when you take the shot. (if you put the mirror up it stays up until you put it down)
I know such a camera is rather Spartan by comparison with today’s cameras but that’s all I need in a camera, actually by comparison with my previous camera before the KM5D (the X-700), it’s overflowing with features and functions.
My main requirement in such a camera is that it actually works without glitches, uses very little power (like the KM5D) and works properly without adaptors with the accessories I already have.
I have a right angle (OEM) viewer so I don’t really need a tilting screen either but perhaps one would come in handy for composition if I wanted to lift the camera up on a pod using a cable release or down low near the ground.
I don’t need a 3inch screen a 2.5inch (high res) is plenty of screen to zoom in on a focus review check.
I could get by quite happily without focus peaking as long as when using MF the selected focus point lights up when focus is achieved in normal config.
The only failure I can see with that system is there would be no focus confirmation when using rear screen Live View, thus the only possibility for focus confirmation without any image degradation is a sensor design similar to the aforementioned Canon one, but unfortunately Sony has already embarked on a different tangent and might not be able to emulate the Canon design without infringing patent rights.
I know lots of people like the front and back dials. I can get by quite ok with just the front one, the rear one is handy of course but it adds to the cost and is prone to being ‘adjusted’ accidentally, but I’ll take twin dials if plenty of people want to make it more A700-ish. That would mean moving the most important button on the camera (apart from the shutter button), the AEL button, to some other less handy spot, like where it is on the A700.
Sony could add the so called Auto ISO in M mode if they want (menu selectable perhaps or an extra M+ mode on the control dial and ditch one of the feature modes, don’t care which) because it should have been done in the digital age anyway beginning with the KM7D.
Some would like an intervalometer built in and I guess that would be handy too, I think that could be added in as an extension to the existing modes on screen brought up by the drive mode button, the A700 doesn’t have a drive mode button, just a more limited and fiddly selector switch.
Anyone can add things they like to my camera here EXCEPT video, as soon as you add video you open a never ending can of worms, AF in video, digital zoom control, video compliant lenses with IS and step-less f-stop exposure control, sound, sound control, frame rates, codecs etc. on and on and on so I don’t want video getting into my still camera.
I wasn’t thinking of creating a one camera suits all wonder cam, just an alternative solid reliable low maintenance not expensive still only camera model added to the range that still shooters might like for general use or weddings or in the studio, location portraiture, glamour, whatever.
And I wasn’t necessarily thinking of an expensive sports or high performance for BIF and other high speed action cam but if that is what the majority would like then I’ll go with the flow, the only thing is when you start raising the bar with frame rates and accurate high speed AF follow focus you also are going out on cloud nine with the price.
Put it this way, it’s a model no longer available…anywhere. :roll:
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Anyone for a still camera?

Unread post by Dusty »

I want one, too!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Where do I place my order?

I was just thinking today, much as I love my a580, I do miss my a100. They had it right, there, a few tweeks, and that would still be a great camera.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Sign me up! I never ever use more than the most basic functions, although I do rely on bursting, PD-AF and reasonable ISO performance up to ISO3200 a lot for my birding.

I'm very pleased with my a580 in the above mentioned areas. If you could slip in a few changes in the basic design of the a580 Greg, I would be a happy camper for a long, long time! :)

- no video or more annoying: video button in all the wrong places
- more dedicated control buttons for changing metering-, AF-, drive modes etc.
- brighter OVF with more coverage
- body like the A700: bigger and better build
- Weather sealing for body and VG

I'm still thinking about investing in a second DSLR, another a580 or perhaps a700 would do nicely!

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I can't help thinking there is a market for this kind of camera. It would need a Seagull or Samyang to do it. The problem is which mount would you chose? I'm not sure there is a big enough market in a single mount, but I bet there is across the mounts. Some sort of universal or interchangeable mount fitting is required.

Some time ago I remember someone postulating (DK or Pako?) that Seagull could make a MD mount (manual focus) dslr.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Good point Andy.

I'm pretty pleased with the A-mount lineup I stuck with after a roundtrip through a lot of different lenses in various mounts. A-mount suits me fine personally. The A-mount cameras are another case for me though. I don't need all the bells and whistles on the new models. I also don't want EVF, it works against me in the areas I photograph most. Also, I'm quite attached to reasonally fast AF and longer focal ranges, something not all makers or systems can deliver.

The MD mount camera sounds great as long as it has some kind of focus confirmation system. I really loved the MD lenses I used to have on my NEX body.

Mark
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The KM5d was mostly right design wise. By modern comparisons it's quite a basic camera, but it has the stuff you need such as MLU, wireless flash, and HSS.
Fast forward to 2013 and both of Nikon's entry models have none of that.

Anyway the only niggle is I would have swapped the drive and ISO button locations. Apart from that it's pretty solid handling wise, and I still like it very much. So much so I bought one from a guy down under for a second body.
I'm ok with one dial, 95% of the time, don't need 95 AF points either, don't really care for these modern gimmicks much either sweep pano and stuff like that doesn't impress me much (maybe I'm not good at it but I think it sucks on the A57!)

A basic KM5d type design might work quite well for a budget FF model. Don't get me wrong I love my film 7's fab camera almost design perfection. The 5 series traditionally had 90% of what you wanted at a fraction of the price. And that's enough for some folks.
Nobody has really nailed the "really affordable full frame" body, nor attempted to.

Yes I would prefer an OVF too, been using the flim 7's quite a bit, no EVF competes with such a big clear viewfinder (it's actually better than the 5dMkII Canon OVF bar coverage, bigger and brighter) Sony will never make such a camera though
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

A little bit of engineering, a lot of firmware development, and you can have it in an interchangeable mount.

Imagine a "bayonet mount bayonet mount", where the main camera body's mount is, itself a large bayonet mount that accepts a mount for the desired lens mount. Kind of a Tamron Adaptall for cameras, not lenses.

You'd have to engineer in coupling the various motor drives to the mount, or eschew screw drive for SSM, etc. Of course every mount would have it's own chip to interface between the camera and lensmount, and to tell the firmware what type of lens you're using, but that's just programming details.

The real hard part will be to select a body type that is acceptable across the board. Do we start with a basic Sony model, use the Nikon controls layout? Canon, Pentax? Maybe a combinations of various ones? Who's battery do we use? Who gives us the best price/performance on batteries? After all, no use re-inventing the wheel!

It would be neat to put in 5 axis sensor based stabilization, ala Olympus, but what about a flash system? Maybe make that selectable, too? That could be pretty sweet!

Maybe make 12, 16, and 20 MP versions in APS-C, and 16, 24 and 36 MP versions in FF? How about a 40+ MP square FF sensor? That would kill MF for most things.

Maybe we can crowdsource the startup funds.

Send you pledge (and cash) to Dusty's Designs, P.O. box 362, Lagos, Nigeria.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks guys, I think a model like that should remain in the lineup that’s all, and I’ve got a feeling if it’s glitch free and reliable it should sell well. (Revisiting territory already covered before in various models should enable glitch removal one would think)
The initial model might even sell so well (no compromises with video) they could have to think about making a follow on high performance version, or a high MP version perhaps.
There is only one slight problem, Sony’s promotional ability is about as handy as a hip pocket in a singlet, so they might have to solve that problem first.
I was just using the KM5D yesterday and realized again why I like it so much ergonomically speaking, everything you want is at hand and you aren’t overloaded with things to check and make sure you haven’t changed the setting of previously and forgotten.
It’s not that it doesn’t have things I want fixed in the MkII FF version though: the focus is slow by A700 standards, (but accurate) the rear screen is low resolution (but has a glass face), sync speed is 1/160sec (but the flash is reliable up to a point, it still can be fooled on occasion though, WL bounce now and then for example, it depends on the ambient level), the VF could be bigger and would be in a FF version (big VF’s don’t come cheap though, so the larger it’s desired the larger is the price).
When I move the AF switch to MF and back to AF it has the annoying habit of screwing up the focus by setting the lens to infinity, I would like the position to stay put…sometimes.
There is/was no power grip option for the KM5D, I have one for the A700 which I don’t use much but it’s handy to have just the same, a decent camera should have that available if desired.
It should also have the quiet high speed cycle time shutter the A700 has, lovely shutter in that camera.
I think the camera manufacturers have carried competiveness to a level that has done each of them serious damage, the amount of money they have spent on R&D in order to bring video into a dedicated still camera system is ridiculous, they have just made a rod for their own backs and pleased few with the results (with video). And they have done it at a time when the world is in recession, a double whammy in effect.
The first to break from that trend will reap the rewards.
They don’t have to stop making still cameras with video, but they should at least offer a dedicated still camera, one that can be developed to a higher level than the dual type because it’s not hamstrung, and that’s the key selling point or points, improved still capture performance, wider DR, better high ISO performance, zero lag, no flash glitches, clean uncontaminated sensors, faster processing etc. and above all, not as expensive for them to make and for their customers to buy as compared to the dual video still cameras.
Greg
Ps the Nigerian base should attract plenty of interest Dusty. :lol:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

EISA have just awarded the A-99 Best advanced camera.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

classiccameras wrote:EISA have just awarded the A-99 Best advanced camera.

I wouldn't worry about them, they gave the
EUROPEAN SLR CAMERA 2013-2014 to the uncomfortable Canon EOS 100D

Worse...
EUROPEAN PHOTO INNOVATION 2013-2014: Samsung GALAXY NX

The A99 might be a nice enough camera, but it's no more than Sony flicking dried peas at the passing elite Panzer divisions of Canikon. It's far too expensive for what it is, and has done nothing for A mount full frame bar a small number of users. Sony got it so wrong with this model. I'd put money down they lost more users than they gained with the A99.

Oh and SAR said it would be on a discount due to sales targets being hit, well the price dropped to £1950 from £2000...wow, just wow... :roll:
Anyway what matter now is where Sony go next, if SAR are right they're saying the next batch of camera are "expensive"

If so expect hard times ahead with Sony