I'm thinking of going down the a 3000 route

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Re: I'm thinking of going down the a 3000 route

Unread post by Mark K »

After reading DxO review, I called many local dealers ...that A3000 is selling at only 400 USD
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Down to £229 inc VAT new UK stock - with kit lens - that's £191 or $308....

I was going to sell mine, but with new ones at such a low price, I've decided it's not worth selling it at all. Also, I realise that I do not have anything larger than a 16 megapixel sensor for E-mount APS-C if I sell it, but if I keep it, I have that excellent 20 megapixel sensor.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Yes, I noticed a £229 offer with 18-55 lens on ebay (UK stock), but

Photography Blog
The A3000's backplate is a pared-down affair, the majority of it taken up by the 3-inch widescreen ratio LCD screen. This is one of the areas where Sony have cut costs, with the low resolution of 230,400 dots resulting in a rather coarse display. Similarly, the electronic viewfinder is both small (0.5cm) and low in resolution (201,600 dots), although it does at least offer 100% scene coverage, something that a no comparably priced DSLR offers.
That puts me off even contemplating buying this camera although the 20Mp sensor is a real temptation. Looks like a move back towards the R1 in quality compared with my NEX-6. What I desire is this sensor and an A7 type EVF in a NEX-6 type body. Thanks in advance Sony.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Today for the first time I held an A3000 + 18-55mm lens and played around with it for several minutes. From what I had read I was expecting for it to be terrible. Well, it was sort of okay. When I judge things I consider price. It is selling for $348 now for the body + lens and for that price with an APS-C sensor then it seems to not be so bad. Yeah, it is rather light and hollow feeling, but the EVF wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Not a good EVF compared to my Olympus E-M5 and certainly not as good as the newer, better one in the Olympus E-M1, but I wasn't expecting that. It is sort of like the EVF you would find in digicams not long ago. It did the job and I was able to adjust the diopter to get a reasonably sharp view. Maybe it wouldn't work so well for MF though. AF was leisurely and nothing like the very fast AF of my E-M5 or my Panasonic G3. About like the AF of many digicams. The lens was small and appeared to have a metallic cover (must be plastic underneath) with smooth zoom. For $348 it gives someone a large sensor and the ability to use various E-mount lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Depends how you view it, cheapest I've seen is £230 odd which yes is cheap
If you are a potential compact buyer you can grab one for the price of a small sensor camera and probably be happy enough.

I just view it as a cynical move by Sony to cost cut. Not being funny but as a system camera it's a dead end/poor choice simply because A Mount has a lot of lenses for it and E mount does not. I can get people who have either the adaptors or currently shooting NEX and wanting a cheap body to add to that.

As an A mount users it's a non starter for obvious reasons. If you are looking for a near disposable camera with a good sensor and can overlook everything else it could be viewed as a bargain. I can't really let the nasty EVF slip, Henry the normal digicam EVF's are rubbish and I cringe every time I look in one, but by far the biggest blunder is the lack of eye sensor it's incredibly annoying to have to press the button to switch from the LCD to the viewfinder.

I hope we don't see more of this type of product. Yes it's cheap but then so was the A200 (not as cheap but not far off it) Why not resurrect that body and put a 20mp sensor in it. Sony might actually have an entry level body that's worth buying.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I still cannot get over the fact that Sony would release this A3000 with their best APS-C sensor and worst EVF and charge peanuts. That sensor should have been in the NEX-6.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Today at Ephesus I saw a man with an A3000. First time to see one in the wild.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Ephesus sounds like a good place to camera and people watch, Henry :)

I'm in a tourist hot spot on the Isle of Skye at the moment (not in the same league numbers wise as Ephesus I'm sure) and I've been surprised how many compact cameras I've been seeing used. Not quite killed off yet by the mobile phone it would seem. I have seen one tablet being used again - always strikes me as odd, but hey, why not! :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

Birma wrote:I'm in a tourist hot spot on the Isle of Skye at the moment (not in the same league numbers wise as Ephesus I'm sure) and I've been surprised how many compact cameras I've been seeing used. Not quite killed off yet by the mobile phone it would seem. I have seen one tablet being used again - always strikes me as odd, but hey, why not! :D
When I first saw tourists using tablets to take holiday snaps my first question was 'why?' rather than 'why not?', as they're bulkier than a compact or smartphone. I suppose that if you've already got one in your backpack it makes sense - you can view your images on a decent screen even if you haven't worked out how to transfer them!

Emjoy Skye! I hope the weather is working for you. Personally, my favourite part of Skye is the Sleat Peninsula, but Elgol, Loch Coriusk, Sligachan and Trotternish are all special.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Birma wrote:Ephesus sounds like a good place to camera and people watch, Henry :)

I'm in a tourist hot spot on the Isle of Skye at the moment (not in the same league numbers wise as Ephesus I'm sure) and I've been surprised how many compact cameras I've been seeing used. Not quite killed off yet by the mobile phone it would seem. I have seen one tablet being used again - always strikes me as odd, but hey, why not! :D
You lucky man....
70-400 at the ready for the eagles?

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Mike - it is ready but only one sighting so far and that was too far away even for the 70-400. Our consolation is the weather; glorious sunshine today and set fair for the next few days.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Glad to hear we fixed the weather for you ;)
It has been fantastic here on the east coast as well.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:Today at Ephesus I saw a man with an A3000. First time to see one in the wild.
Just got back from a mini-vacation in Ohio and KY. Plenty of Canon and Nikon, cell phones and tablets as cameras, not a Sony to be seen except mine!

Dusty

Edit: Forgot, my sister was there with her a850, so there were 2 Sony shooters!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Dusty wrote:
bakubo wrote:Today at Ephesus I saw a man with an A3000. First time to see one in the wild.
Just got back from a mini-vacation in Ohio and KY. Plenty of Canon and Nikon, cell phones and tablets as cameras, not a Sony to be seen except mine!

Dusty

Edit: Forgot, my sister was there with her a850, so there were 2 Sony shooters!

Dusty
At airport fences, I'm regularly the only Sony shooter. Vast majority are Canon with a few Nikon.
Yet I think I have the best long zoom glass in the 70-400G. It's very good on the A77 and excellent on the A99.

Mike
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I did see a Sony one time..
American tourists in Dingle!
DSCF3647.jpg
(459.06 KiB) Downloaded 3124 times
DSCF3651.jpg
(344.73 KiB) Downloaded 3124 times
I only had the F70 Fuji on me at the time but sure looks like an A77 to me.
Bar a few years back when I saw a few A200/350's and a few A700's

Not seeing a lot of Sony cameras around. Mostly Canon (by far) then Nikon..the odd Panasonic FZ too