SLT A99 firmware update problems

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sqarehole
Acolyte

SLT A99 firmware update problems

Unread post by sqarehole »

Just got my new SLT A99. Happy Face.
Register and check for firmware updates...yep. But, it crashes twice when doing this, then on third attempt it just goes off, dead, won't turn back on. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way of switching it back on again?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: SLT A99 firmware update problems

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

sqarehole wrote:Just got my new SLT A99. Happy Face.
Register and check for firmware updates...yep. But, it crashes twice when doing this, then on third attempt it just goes off, dead, won't turn back on. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way of switching it back on again?
In all the threads I’ve seen about firmware upgrade troubles I’ve never heard of a camera ‘crashing’ twice before and then end up dead, that I can remember.
I think it’s time to call the place where you bought it from and see what they suggest you do…seriously. I would suggest not messing with it any further until you are given directions as to exactly what to do.
Greg
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Greg Beetham wrote: think it’s time to call the place where you bought it from and see what they suggest you do…seriously. I would suggest not messing with it any further until you are given directions as to exactly what to do.
I completely agree. Did you purchase from a local dealer ? This is where paying a few dollars more can come in useful. If necessary ask the dealer to do the upgrade for you.
sqarehole
Acolyte

Unread post by sqarehole »

Guys
We have an answer....MAC OS X mavericks is the problem. Trawling through other forums I found a link to several folks who'd had exactly this problem, but with NEX cameras. The solution is to download the update to a Windows PC, connect the "bricked" camera, and start the update. I have now done this, and it's all working perfectly, and I'm on V1.02. Sorted, but I won't be doing that on my Mac again.
Cheers