What to do next?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: What to do next?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

DF is an odd camera a cash cow for retro fans. Honestly the reports of Nikon's mediocre AF on this body are enough to send me running out the building screaming. It's using a similar AF system to the D7000, in other words you might get one in 4 shots in focus. And it will still miss the side of a white barn with a 2 foot black cross painted on it!
bfitzgerald

After much wrangling and indecision I decided that the £599 price on the A77 was good enough to try (it's cheaper than I paid for a D7000 in 2012) So I have ordered one from park cameras.

Even though I have some doubts about the low light and don't need 24mp I'll give it a try. I did use an A77 a few years back only very briefly a quick play. I'll give you my honest feedback on that when it turns up. I will be keeping the A57 (and I might add another one later on s/h) just to cement the A mount good for years strategy (whatever Sony plan to do)

I don't fancy the Sony grip price so if anyone has any third party grip suggestions fire away. Stand by for my usual white knuckle/no punches pulled hands on when it turns up.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Although I'm not going to replace my a580 until it dies, I'm looking forward to your no b.s. hands-on review (pardon my English).

Good luck!

Mark
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I'm going to be very careful what I say about my a580. Last time I said I was keeping it until it died, it did!

I'd bought a new SD card, and it caused the camera to lock up, wouldn't even switch off! It was a PNY 16Gb, for anyone who wants to avoid buying one.

It's fine now, with an old Fuji 8Gb SD in it.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
mvanrheenen

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:I'm going to be very careful what I say about my a580. Last time I said I was keeping it until it died, it did!
I take it back!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm going on holiday for 3,5 weeks tomorrow, please don't die on me a580!!!
bfitzgerald

I assume you can still get the A580 fixed by Sony?
The s/h market seems almost non existent for bodies it's quite rare to find one for sale
mvanrheenen

bfitzgerald wrote:I assume you can still get the A580 fixed by Sony?
The s/h market seems almost non existent for bodies it's quite rare to find one for sale
Sony will still fix it, but probably at premium prices I imagine. And yes, it is quite rare on the second hand market.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:I'm going to be very careful what I say about my a580. Last time I said I was keeping it until it died, it did!

I'd bought a new SD card, and it caused the camera to lock up, wouldn't even switch off! It was a PNY 16Gb, for anyone who wants to avoid buying one.

A good friend of mine also had problems with several PNY cards. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

mikeriach wrote:

A good friend of mine also had problems with several PNY cards. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Mike
This was the first I'd ever tried, and only bought it because I was on a limited budget (too far from payday), and it was all my local Currys had in my price range.
I have since replaced it with a 16Gb Sandisk Ultra, which did exactly what it is supposed to do.

Back to the subject of S/H a580's, Ebay UK had two when I looked on Friday, one "buy now" for £500, including kit lens and accessories, and the other on auction, body only, with a highest bid of £200. IF they were in good condition, they might be worth a bid, as long as the money doesn't get ridiculous, but personally, if I was looking for one, I'd ask someone like Ffordes to find me a VGC++ one, as I trust them with my money.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

bfitzgerald

Hmm £400 odd is still a lot for a s/h camera that's 4 years old. Looking at the 3 reviews there it seems it wasn't exactly a great seller for Sony either.
Bit of a shame really, I think all the marketing went into the SLT models and not that one.

I still intend to purchase a s/h body later on that is an OVF when the right deal comes along..there are times an OVF is the best solution and I don't always need the latest tech. I'm not paying a price premium though for a small pentamirror OVF though so they can keep them at those prices!

Reason I am not going for the A77II
I'm not convinced the IQ is significantly improved, no point paying £1000 for a body when you can buy it for loads less later on. I don't need the wifi/nfc, tons of AF points are not that useful for weddings and portrait work. buffer isn't usually an issue for me either (A57 has a big buffer if I need it) I was ok with the D7000 buffer and that was less than the A77 is. I do need the AF assist light, GPS could be useful for me both of these are stupidly missing on the new model. I'm not entirely sure the mark II is going to be a huge seller for current A77 users (will temp action/nature shooters maybe), though I do feel sorry for those who lumped out £1100 for the camera when it came out first. Whilst £999 is doable for me I like bargains and if I get on ok with it and the A57 I won't really need another body for a while, bar something breaking.

We'll see how it stacks up when I test it..anyway if I don't like it Greg will probably buy it off me :mrgreen:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I still think the A-57 was a significant model in the SLT range and it was one of those cameras you see from a manufacturer that excells. It is a one-off camera in my opinion and a very collectable one, at the right price of course.
A similar thing happened to Nikon with the D90 and Canon with the 60D.
Its not often you see a camera that stands out amongst its own line up and its rivals.
bfitzgerald

You can still get one on ebay from the far east brand new, but if it's worth it by the time you pay for VAT and duty is another question.
I've still no idea why Sony dropped that model, it was arguably the most attractive bang per buck one they had.

I expect they will run a 3 model line up from now on, but the gap is far too big between the A58 and the A77 II (we can be certain they will run out of A77 stock shortly)
They should really have a more capable entry model to make it work...or do a Nikon and keep a few older models around at discounted price, that can work quite well. They still have the D7000 around at a decent price, not that I would recommend anyone torture themselves with the AF..still it does offer people the chance to get an older but still "better" model at a good price

A58 only works for me as a Canon EOS 1100d rival, it's a no hoper at over £300. Sort of model you'd discount to death just to get people in the system. Trust me it works I see tons of them around, Canon snag people early on with deals like that old or not people buy it. Sony have never really worked out how to compete (bar the A200 which did sell well and was cheap) the answer is slapping them in the face.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

There is an A580 at Cameraworld in the UK for £192
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/used-sony- ... -70mm.html

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

That's more acceptable price wise. Though I have to reign in my spending a bit I would likely get one at some point