Sony A3500

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Sony A3500

Unread post by classiccameras »

Sony launch the Alpha 3500 to the Australian market only, fitted with a new 18-50 lens. Early reports says it pretty basic and nothing to get excited about.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony A3500

Unread post by Dusty »

classiccameras wrote:Sony launch the Alpha 3500 to the Australian market only, fitted with a new 18-50 lens. Early reports says it pretty basic and nothing to get excited about.
What? I was expecting something 10x better than my A350! :mrgreen:

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Dusty wrote: What? I was expecting something 10x better than my A350! :mrgreen:

Dusty
:lol: :lol: :lol:
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I bet Greg is on his way to the shops right now to buy one!
We'll have to send someone to lock his front door to stop him ;-0

The only exciting thing is if you are spending the asking price on a compact camera (or near there) you could basically buy the sensor (because that's what it is appeal wise) for not a lot more. As a system camera it's doomed to fail, as an alternative purchase it has some legs.
But few people would buy lenses esp as E mount has so little on offer
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hnnmpf huh wassat kaf kaf, oh it's an A3500 thingy, yeah wow just let me at it, gotta get me one of them. :lol:
Greg
ps I wonder if that's true, just the Australian market? why would that be? :roll:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Greg I thought it strange, only Aussie to start with, read it in DPReview
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Both of them are something a college kid might want maybe, just for horsing around, I don't think a serious photographer is the target market, but who knows what Sony is aiming them at for sure.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I have seen an A3000 in the flesh so to speak (PC World) and I had such low expectations that I came thinking it wasn't so bad :) . Especially compared to all of the similarly priced offerings sitting all around it. No idea what the A3500 is about, especially the reduced spec. kit lens. Par for the course I'd say. Who remembers the A230 ? :)

I think the E mount has a very tidy selection of lenses now. It certainly has everything your typical A3500 user may want to splash out on. I have 16 through 210 stabilised for my Nex 6 in two small lenses - just right for a small carry around kit.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

classiccameras wrote:Greg I thought it strange, only Aussie to start with, read it in DPReview
Nobody else wants a joke camera... :twisted:

Unless it squirts water, that is.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bfitzgerald

The A3000 made the A58 look really good, that scared the hell out of me!
I don't care how cheap a product is the LCD and EVF are junky compared to even modest priced bridge cameras

Sometimes you can cut too far, and like I said it's done nothing to stop the EOS1100d fly off the shelves, just like the A58 did nothing to stop that either.
Sony need to sit down and think about where they are heading it's just not working for them
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I have seen an A3000 in the flesh so to speak (PC World) and I had such low expectations that I came thinking it wasn't so bad :) . Especially compared to all of the similarly priced offerings sitting all around it. No idea what the A3500 is about, especially the reduced spec. kit lens. Par for the course I'd say. Who remembers the A230 ? :)
Rather than retype it you can look at what I wrote last year about the A3000 after I had played with it for a few minutes:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 425#p85425

The A3500 from the specs seems to be pretty much the same. Maybe when it is out we will find that it has been changed or improved in some ways. The new kit lens sure seems to be strange though. No IS? Really? In 2014?
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Why only Australia, because we love to pay top $$ for third rate products :)
bfitzgerald

Some folks have low expectations! The EVF is horrible, it's just about usable low res.. the XS-1 EVF blows it apart. Build is cheap and tatty low quality plastics and it creaks too.
Poor res LCD screen it sucks even 2008 cameras had better screens. Mix in the retarded NEX Menus and it's less than fun for shooting
The only good thing is the price (cheap ish) and the sensor (for the price)

I'm no snob it takes photos and that's great, but it's hugely worrying to see junk like this thrown out there. If you can't enjoy using something you won't want to use it.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Took a walk down to Sony Central (melbourne) not a single Alpha mount body on display. David are the e-mount's Ok for product shots? i.e jewellery.

don't know what I'll get if my A550 dies :(
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

There is a very reasonably priced 30mm macro in e mount which is well reviewed. You also get great live view and focus aids with all of the e mount cameras. You can of course use any other longer lenses with an adapter on e mount.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.