SLT technology now

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: SLT technology now

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You can suggest SLT has sold better, but I'm not sure I believe it.
I've never seen a Sony stick to 1 or 2 spot in the Amazon top sellers in DSLR's since the A200 (and it stuck like glue to that spot), that was probably their biggest seller and I've seen quite a few out and about in people's hands, a large number around on ebay second hand so I can only assume it did sell well.

Since then nothing stands out from Sony as wow big seller. I very much doubt the current line up is doing much damage to the top 2 (forget Samsung they're nowhere in cameras, bar the odd crazy low price blow out) A58 might shift a few as it's cheap, but it's hard to see Canikon users dribbling over the ok but somewhat dated A77's and A65 models. Ditto on the A99, no real reason to look at that when you have more affordable FF models on both rival mounts.

The flash, at least with the A57 and Metz I use has not caused any problems, it's quite consistent and I've had very few issues. But I'm using Metz and not Sony so can't comment on how the OEM units perform.

Peterottaway, with respect you can complain it's the same old suspects, and same old arguments. Yes it is, but did you ever consider the points as being pretty valid?

It's 2014 and the same old stuff is still banding around
- No timely updates to models (ditto A700 era all over again), some models discontinued without proper replacements (A57)
- Lack of firmware support
- Same old ho hum jpegs we've come to expect from Sony (this is so old now it's not even funny)
- Lens range and flash development is going nowhere (long arguments about this and very valid too)

Mix in a hot shoe change (sigh) and uncertain future (we heard about the A77MkII being delayed for a big wow update..not is seems it's not such a massive step forward at least SAR suggest this) No signs of anything else happening body or lens wise on A mount. It's all been about E mount

Be honest, are you entirely surprised people are bringing up these points?
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I've spent too long doing that as have others. I only really care if I have something to shoot with. And if Sony pull the rug on A mount, eventually I'll wander off elsewhere and so will many others.

So no just an A77 MkII this year won't do anything to reduce fears of an E mount only strategy, you can't run a system with one body update (and a bit late at that)
Another overpriced FF A99 won't do anything either. Yes it's tiresome, same arguments same debates. But not as tiresome as watching Sony mess up what should have been a damn good camera system, wandering from one experiment to the next (first SLT, then hot shoe changes, then E mount, then FE) random shotgun blasts in the desperate attempt to hit something.

I'm not convinced, even if you were willing to go with FE mount, you'd probably still have the same frustrations down the road (bad firmware support, patchy release schedules, questionable lens choices) People have long memories in the camera industry, if Sony does the dirt on A mount it will have far bigger consequences for their rep than most can imagine.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

B Fitzgerald
You can suggest SLT has sold better, but I'm not sure I believe it.
I wonder who suggested that? Not me. I referred to SLT & mirroless versus staying with DSLR only. I think I am right but cannot be proved as the "staying with DSLR" scenario was not played out.
Perhaps it is the time for someone with a good memory to list all the faults with Pentax & Canicon DSLRs that have occurred over the last few years with the need for recalls and firmware updates to sort numerous problems. One of the reasons Sony have not had a lot of firmware updates is because their cameras have not been as prone to teething problems as some of the competition. With all the Sony equipment I have owned, I have only had one problem with the 24mm E lens - sorted by Sony within a week. Personally I have been very pleased with the reliability of my Sony equipment and my son inherited my old A700 with tens of thousands of pictures taken. Never a problem.
bfitzgerald

I've not had a Sony body failure (yet) but give it time!
I'm of the view that moving to SLT has made absolutely no difference to Sony's performance in the DSLR sector. Nobody will know for sure unless we have sales information, which none of us have.

What matters more than SLT or OVF (but I'm still of the view higher end models users are far less likely to want EVF over an OVF) is what products you have (are they attractive, competitive with rivals, and priced appropriately) in some cases I would have to argue Sony have not done a good job here. The reason I bought an A57 was that is was a relatively good combination of what I was looking for (ie sensor wise, spec etc) and at a pretty good price. Despite the fact it's an SLT and I prefer an OVF

But good old Sony do what they do best..killing of that model and what probably was one of their better selling models at the time.
I'm not sure I grasp the logic of this strategy, they had a competitive model v Canikon at that price and they discontinue it.

If I were being a sceptic I would say someone is lacking competence in the "we make choices camera department"
Not the first time this has happened, Sony did an awful hatchet job with the A230 and subsequent models too. It's about making informed choices and putting out products that are attractive to new AND current users. Sony are pretty lousy at doing that.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I remember as a Oly 4/3 user for many years, hearing a statement by Olympus as the new M/4/3 OND was looming on the horizon. "We will continue to support all 4/3 users". Ah we all thought, may be a new mirrorless 4/3 body with EVF or even a new body with OVF, and so we all waited in anticipation as many guesses and suggestions flowed on the 4/3 forums.

Then, during the launch of the new OMD EM-5 they quietly sneaked in an adaptor from M/4/3 to 4/3 as an added bonus when you bought the new OMD.EM-5 but kept stony silent that this was all the support they were offering for the 4/3 users. [I guess technically, they kept their promise, but what a cop out] This offer never lasted that long and as a stand alone adaptor it was pretty expensive. So much for looking after the thousands of 4/3 users round the world. Have you seen a Zuiko 300mm lens on an OMD body, the balance is awful and it looks stupid. Olympus lost many faithfull users to other brands because of this, me for one. Are Sony going to do an 'Olympus' on us?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A bit premature to announce the death of A mount with a new A77 just over a week away and a full frame rumoured for later in the year.

Now, these may not be the A mount bodies you want, fair enough. I'm not sure well see another 3 or 5 series A mount, but who knows.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Well that's the point Birma. If we don't see a 5 or 6 series body this year, then that only strengthens the fear it's on a slow wind down.
Can you imagine Canon discontinuing the 700d or Nikon dropping the D5300?

They are critical sellers for both makers
Sony might roll out a few more bodies, they are not going to give out a press release saying that E mount is the priority and A mount is being phased out.
I said before I didn't think Sony would drop A mount, but that's before SAR said the 6 series wasn't being updated - that is a very worrying sign indeed

You can't have a camera system with 2 updated more expensive bodies, the a58 isn't strong enough to be the only lower priced body.
Anyway all the indications from SAR are that the A77 isn't going to be any great shakes 11fps (most won't need that) a few new bits and a $1200 (£1100 odd) body I can't see how that's going to change much for A mount.

Even if it's a bit better than expected, how many A mount users want to buy a £1000 body with modest updates?
And who'd be brave enough to start buying into A mount right now...lashing out on pricey glass?

Maybe I'm horribly wrong, but if there isn't any action 5/6 series wise then that's a very strong sign something is wrong. A £330 camera then a £1100 one..rather large price gap I think. Clearly the A77 is being phased out, and the A65 isn't going to be around that much longer.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Living a life of fear is no way to live, IMO. Be done with it and move on seems to be the best course.

In Kas, Turkey now.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I thought that Sony had already hinted at the fact that A mount was going to focus on the high end and that E mount would cater for entry level? (I don't remember the details, but I think it was an interview with one of the execs. sometime ago.). It is my assumption this means no more 3 or 5 series. This is not the same thing as a wind down IMHO.

What is the problem with a minor update? Isn't this the exact same approach that every maker takes in their systems? 500, 550, 600, 650, 700 etc.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

How can you have only high end products for a DSLR system?
If you don't get new users in then you won't have many people to sell the higher end stuff to.

No SLR maker has only high end products
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

An update to an existing model to fix things that were not so hot with the previous model is one of the things that many have complained about Sony not doing in the past, instead they tended to try to ‘do something different’ so it will be a refreshing change if for once Sony stays on track.
On that basis I’d say an A77 MkII is a good idea if it appears, at least that will keep the SLT people happy, or it should.
It might disappoint the mirrorless A-mount hopefuls but them’s the breaks.
Greg
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Yes, the nomenclature changes thing a bit. However, I still wish Sony to make more solid performer in each of intended user group like those from Nikon and Canon rather than producing large amount of different products into lower level.
bfitzgerald

Well here you go more confirmation that there won't be an A65 update.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony ... successor/
That leaves Sony with a £330 camera, a £1000 one and a £1700 one

You could drive a truck through those price gaps, and it is sure to signal the "winding down" plan is underway (to some)
Of course something might turn up later this year, they would want to put a lot more effort in at the lower end and in the FF area.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

:mrgreen: A77 II shows improvement in noise department, changes hotshoe, harbours a faster aF engine
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Thanks guys for the Sony Rumours info. As Barry said, the differentials between each model, spec gaps and price does not make sense. It could be we are seeing the early stages of Sony's future strategy. If you are still a big Sony fan, hang on to your cameras and keep using them. If you see a a second hand one in good condition with low mileage and its your favourite model, get it.
My recent purchase of a second hand Canon 550D and 18-55 ST STM kit lens has proved to be a good move and the IQ is fantastic [both Jpeg and RAW], the Sony IQ is also excellect but not quite as good as the Canon IMO. At the moment I have a foot in each camp and will stay that way to see where Sony are going.
bfitzgerald

A58 might get replaced at some point sooner rather than later I would think. Still I'm not fussed much because such a model is of no interest to me. It would be nice to get a non crippled 5 series model back though, even the A57 lacked a few things I had on the Dynax 5d (DMF for one, ability to set exp comp to ambient only)

A77 II I looked quite closed at image samples even playing in raw and I think the IQ differences are very minor. DxO is a fun game to play but it's not really very useful for the real world.

Never hurts to play with other makers I do use Canon from time to time (70d, 5dMkII etc) Also a good idea to keep your options open ie not sell off everything you have until you are sure it's the right move for you.