Firmware v04 for Sony Alpha 700

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Magnusvb
Acolyte

Re: Firmware v04 for Sony Alpha 700

Unread post by Magnusvb »

Hello
This is good news :) And seems very popular because yesterday evening it was impossible (for me) to download the Mac-version. And now it is gone :(

But I found the Windows version at Dyxum. Can it be used? Just put the exe-file on a card and follow David's instructions?

Regards, Magnus
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

Although I am an Alpha 100 user at the moment who is waiting 'the A900' to make her final decisions of purchase either camera or lens wise, I am one of the most pleased to hear of this news of improved firmware. It's a pity some sweet upgrade was not introduced for A100 as I am not planning selling it even if I get an A700 or an A900 additionally in the future. The improvements detected by the expert users came as a relief opening an unimpeded string of thoughts for me. Now I can go for the A700 happily without the lingering complaint messages that were posted over the last months by the active A700 users.

I was also very impressed by Sony's 500% market growth in the last 5 consecutive years in Turkey as is mentioned in one very recent PhotoClubAlpha home page articles. That's a mighty and promising growth stating the people's tendencies towards a certain brand. :D

Well, with hopes for more to come then.....in all aspects.

Yildiz

ps.Editted a misspelling by one extra letter that changed the whole meaning of a sentence.
claptonian

Unread post by claptonian »

As at 9.25am today all links for this firmware appear to have been removed from Sony's website. There are no equivalent links on Sony UK which leads me to conclude that it is either an unofficial release, a teaser, or a beta. I've seen it before in another context - there a 24-hour link was created in order to generate interest and press speculation.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have placed a ZIP archive of the firmware with a link through our original post, in place of the old Sony links. This should extract equally well on Mac or PC. I do not know why they use a .exe file for PC as so many systems have anti-virus software installed which rejects .exe files!

The new link is:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/DSCA700v04.zip

Let me know if for any reason this does not work perfectly well on PC and Mac alike.

David
Beakydave
Initiate

Unread post by Beakydave »

There seems to be some growing concern on dpreview about the wisdom of installing this unofficial firmware - voiding warranty, inability to 'reinstall' if the official version is different. Patience is a virtue (so I'm told) but are any of those concerns valid? If so, perhaps DK should have been a little more cautious in making the file available.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Probably they want to put it on all Sony sites (we know that this firmware was only uploadable from the Japan site).
I hope... :|
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I'm sure the file is fine. it came off a sony web site. and they wouldn't void your warranty. if it was a 3rd party firmware then they would be under no obligation to fix a bricked camera even if this was a beta firmware the final would still install over it. and it just being a 4.00 vesion tells you it's probably not a beta otherwise it would be 3.01 or 3.5 depending on how they work over there.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I installed V4 yesterday on a french A700 with english language and german operator, no problems!

The new noise structure is much better! I did some before/after shots at ISO 1600-6400 and the blobs are gone. Also, the new pics clean up much nicer, be it in ACR or the camera JPGs. ISO 1600 gets a new life! Too bad I didn't shot any ISO 200-800 before/after pics, I think some at dpr report this is improved as well.

Exposure times are the same, I'd say. I was shooting at 1/20 1/40 1/80 at ISO 1600/3200/6400 in A-mode at F4, before and after the upgrade.
Dr. Harout

I think the new firmware ameliorated the accentuation of Creative styles, or is it just me? :?

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

It may be just the reduction or rather method change of the noise reduction that makes the pictures look punchier. I'd like to see if there was an increase in DR with this V4
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I downloaded the firmware V4, but I haven't installed it yet. I seem to remember Sony releasing a firmware update that bricked a bunch of PS3s, so I'm waiting until either an official release of this firmware or, perhaps, until after this one has been in circulation for a bit. I examined some high ISO photos that I took last night, and I can tell you, the wait will feel like an eternity.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
KevinBarrett

Perhaps they didn't want a700 owners to feel as if they just got brand new camera again for free. The a900's NR adjustability can sell a few cameras before the same ability is granted to the a700.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
KevinBarrett

No wonder you're so giddy!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

After installing firmware 4.0, I've changed my settings from "Vivid" to "Standard".
Last edited by Dr. Harout on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flickr
moire2
Acolyte

Unread post by moire2 »

Dr. Harout wrote:After installing firmware 4.0, I've changed my settings om "Vivid" to "Standard".

Oh ? Why ? are basic settings more saturated?

I havent installed the fm just yet.