Sony page:http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-gb/p ... index.html
Mixed initial feelings from me
Body style is very close the the A77 (for once Sony decide not to change things) - wonder if the A77 grip fits?
- That new AF system looks good, lots of AF points but the f2.8 central AF point is the most interesting feature (you don't need 79 AF points though, way OTT)
- AF range control
- 24mp sensor says "gap-less" and with offset micro lenses...interesting we shall see how that stacks up
- Higher res rear LCD 1.23m dots and the newer type
- You now have the MR settings on individual places on the mode dial
- 14bit raw (I had this on previous cameras and found 0 difference!)
- Big buffer evidently 60jpegs not sure about raw I heard it was about 24 (which is good)
- Quick nav "pro" and FEL
Scratching my head thoughts:
- The AF assist light is gone! Even if the AF is super magic, I really can't see a good reason to take it out. My film 7's have it (and the double cross f2.8 central AF point) but still it is very useful to have that..very strange move
- GPS is "out" strange move. I would have little use for wifi and NFC (only interesting aspect could be tethered control via phone/tablet) How about all 3?
- Still single slot card, not that it bothers me but I did like the dual cards on the D7k
- As expected the silly new Sony hot shoe makes an appearance
- 2.4M dot OLED viewfinder, it probably is improved over the older one, but I expected the resolution to increase didn't happen
- Battery life is "worse" than the A77, surprising as new tech tends to be more power efficient
Price is pretty much in line with expectations. I suppose it comes down to AF performance and the new sensor.
Interesting..Sony give and Sony take