A77 II has landed!

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A77 II has landed!

Unread post by Birma »

Mega pixels are easy to get used to! I miss the 24 mp from the A99 when I use the Nex 6. I'm sure in 5 years time I'll be saying I can't live without my 512 mp MF mirrorless 3d 8k video Nex 1,000,000! :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Those Fuji "polaroid" clones are a bit of a hit evidently people just like the instant print fun factor.
I wish makers like Sony and Nikon as well as Pentax would get a grip on the pixel problem and allow smaller raw files like Canon does.
It's a complete waste of time shooting 24mp images (or higher) in raw, low light situations.

So no I don't need or want 24mp, but sadly Sony never put a 16mp sensor in the A700 (or the A77)
And the A900 whilst it's coming down in price is not really a must have s/h buy for me

A s/h A700 should sell for 40d prices yet they seem to want more for some reason.
And finding an A580 seems rare enough nowadays.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Note to Barry Fitzgerald on this. Owners (like me) don't want to sell this camera at present.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yep they sure don’t want to sell the A580, here’s a new one for $2123.31 at least it comes with a kit lens so that’s something. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
Do I detect a slight case of price gouging?
Greg
bfitzgerald

Cough..well frankly that's absurd much as I'm not into the EVF take (I can use it..grinds teeth at times esp bright light)
I'm def not into the "Seven" movie scene... Bradd Pitt "bending over desk, quoting "this is us"

I doubt anyone is dumb enough to pay that price, I find it quite offensive somebody would even dare to ask for it.
I'll keep my eyes open for something in the next few weeks or so
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

alphaomega wrote:
Note to Barry Fitzgerald on this. Owners (like me) don't want to sell this camera at present.
And me. :P
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Barry,
Sony A-580 + 17-80 kit lens £399.99 on LCE, Bristol Broadmead.
Personally, I wouldn't pay more than £199 for the body [only], they can keep the lens which was not one of the best Sony kit lenses.

CC
classiccameras
Viceroy

Sorry, meant to say 18-70 kit lens.
bfitzgerald

I still think that's expensive for a second hand body (it was selling for that new near the end of it's life)
I have a good 18-70mm so don't need another one, not that it gets used with the other lenses I have it's no match for the 17-50mm but if you have a decent copy it's not bad either.

Simple fact is cameras get older and are worth less, even higher end bodies that are second hand drop value quickly.
I'm def not paying premium prices for old cameras on the second hand market, weird as the SLT aspect is I'll have to put up with it.

The worst offenders are German Ebay sellers who think they can charge stupid prices for s/h cameras. I even saw one Sony body listed as "new" and then they said it had 6.5k shutter actuations..so right that's new is it? Or trying to sell A700's for near and over £400, it's a 7 year old camera and it's not worth that price even boxed mint as new.

Reason I didn't sell the 5d's I have simple... they're worth next to nothing on the used market, waste of time selling them.
There are decent deals out there it's just a case of finding them
classiccameras
Viceroy

That's why I don't bother to sell my 2 Olympus cameras, E-510 and E-450, they are worth next to nothing yet still take nice pictures. My Zuiko ZD 14-54 F/2.8 is worth more than both bodies put together.

I'm busy at the moment looking at the vast number of used Canon lenses on the market including LCE web site.
After quite a bit of market research and review hopping, I've discovered that Canon made an awful lot of very mediocre lenses and even some 'L' series don't live up to their name and are beaten on occasions by Sigma/Tamron/Tokina at a lot less money.
Lens for lens I think Sony are better.
bfitzgerald

Funny I was chatting to a friend the other day who said the same thing..cameras are good but some of the lenses are not as good as you expect, and he's fairly heavily invested in Canon stuff. They do have some decent lenses, there are a few turkeys out there too (avoid the 17-85mm a CA, distortion monster) 50mm f1.4 is ok but nothing special (for all the complaints about the A Mount f1.4 it's optically above that offering) the cheapo 50mm f1.8 is surprisingly good optics wise (ho hum bokeh but not bad sharpness)

24-105mm f4 L much used..much loved but nothing special really if owners are honest (it's decent but robin hood wide end, ok for the range it covers but it's not a killer lens at all, people buy it because it's got a red ring on it and it's relatively affordable for L glass)

Mixed bag really..70-200mm f4 (non IS) optics are quite decent on the one I tried it's no beercan killer though (as DK has shown)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes, most review sites seem to think the same. One site saying Canon were a bit suspect making a decent zoom but were excellent at primes.
The new range of STM kit lenses are an inprovement at last, and in my opinion equal to other 'better' kit lenses price for price. Ken Rockwell said with the new 18-55 STM kit lens, its so good don't waste your money on the 17-50 F/2.8L. I'm looking now to build a small budget lens collection for my 550D from offerings on the used market of Tamron, Sigma and Tokina.
bfitzgerald

I've used the new STM lens it is good optics wise better than the last one. Well KR forgets lens speed if you're not doing low light then he's right..but tele end 2 stops is fairly significant speed wise.

The original non IS Canon kit was AWFUL in every respect a joke lens. If you scraped out some marmalade from a jar and mounted that you would probably have got sharper shots!

Back to Sony it will be interesting where the price goes, and how others respond Nikon D7100 has a tiny tiny buffer (way smaller than the A77) and got a lot of stick for it, the D7000 and D90 I had were bigger buffer wise (acceptable for my needs). I'd wager a D7200 will turn up this year..maybe 99 AF points?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Mixed bag really..70-200mm f4 (non IS) optics are quite decent on the one I tried it's no beercan killer though (as DK has shown)
My recollection is that David used his very, very, very cherry picked beercan to compare to someone's used Canon. I recall that sometime in the past David posted about over the last few decades he has bought and sold many (maybe half a dozen or more?) beercans. He said he tested the new one against the current one he owned and then kept the best one and sold the inferior one. I have never used the Canon, but with the same careful multi-decade quest to get the best of the best of the best Canon then who really knows what the result would be in a comparison?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:The original non IS Canon kit was AWFUL in every respect a joke lens. If you scraped out some marmalade from a jar and mounted that you would probably have got sharper shots!
I had the original Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 non-IS kit lens that I got when I bought the 6mp Canon 300D in 2003. I thought it wasn't bad. On a 6mp DSLR it could do okay, but probably not on 10mp or 18mp.