A77 II has landed!

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A77 II has landed!

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Ran across some more samples jpeg only..but with NR turned down to the lowest

http://www.optyczne.pl/6962-news-_Sony_ ... 99cia.html

Whilst I'd wait until raw stuff turns to make a final call on it, have to say there is surprising level of chroma noise (even for a jpeg with NR at the lowest) The shot of the girl at ISO 800 shows some odd colour blotching. As do other higher ISO settings. It might not offer much of an improvement on the A77 for low light shooting that some were expecting.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I'll take a77ii on Wednesday for a quick short test and probably do a compare with a57 and I hope with Canon 6D and Nikon d610. I'm need new camera and I have a big concerned about a high ISO noise.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

The would be interesting to see Valery.
The 6d should be the best for high ISO by some margin, but not DR.

Now A77ii v A57 would be a good test (FF is obviously going to thump APS-C at very high ISO)

Still all angst and grumbles aside I suppose at least they did come out with another A Mount camera, better than nothing at all!
In a year or so the A77ii will be cheap enough.

And amazingly they kept the A77 grip which is a first I think for Sony ;-)
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

As predicted by some (don't remember names) I see a Sony release pattern evolving. Alpha 99 and now 77II. Retain A58 (for good or bad and for how long?). No A65 replacement. No other A mount cameras lower down the "food chain". New A6000 and 5000 series and now no less than three A7 versions. It would appear that Sony plan a continued presence in A mount but really at the upper end only. They will continue with some A mount lenses for the A77/99 segment but focus on the NEX successor segment and even more so on the FF E mount and the fancy Cypershots such as RX cameras. Does not bother me as I am already well equipped with RX100, NEX-6 and 5N and like the small but still capable new offerings. I think they have given up on the idea of becoming No. 2 as a volume aspiration and instead focusing on selling innovative niche products and making some money in the process. Not to Barry's liking but I think this is the emerging pattern. Trying to become more like Apple perhaps.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

It was me unless some one else also predicted the A mount line up for the future.

Entry level - A-58
Mid level/enthusiast - A7711
High end/semi Pro, A-99

I fear this may be all we have in A mount for the forseeable future, I would like to be proved wrong and see more A mount variety, but there doesn't seem to be any hint [yet] from Sony at the moment.
bfitzgerald

That is probably correct, but it is possible something "more mid level" will turn up, it might not but it's an option for Sony.
I can't predict the future, nor can anyone but being a 5 series buyer for some time in A mount I will say the A58 is really a 3/4 series model.

The gap is pretty big, not just in price but in terms of what's on offer. If Sony don't bring out a 6 series I think it's the slow wind down strategy. Worst case scenario is we have bodies for at least a few years, and quite a large s/h selection. Lenses is the other indicator if nothing happens on A mount there, then that's a sign of the slow death too.

I can't say how it's going to pan out right now..and to be honest I've spent too many hours worrying about it. If Sony think A mount buyers will all migrate to E mount, I don't feel that's likely to happen. They will have to address numerous issues, and after reading DK's review on the A7 I'm not convinced it's ready to the big time. I suppose all we can do is keep taking photos and keep and eye on what happens. I don't fancy trying to offload all the A mount stuff I've built up..I'm not ready to change mounts again after 2 bad experiences. The only viable alternative for me is Fuji, so I will also keep an eye on them.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I would agree that a three model A mount appears likely from what happened to both the A mount and E mount cameras. Anyone who has been looking at the declining numbers of cameras sold by all companies would not be surprised at such a strategy.nThree bodies would enable Sony to better control their costs and with cameras like the A77 and A99 are likely to be profitable over a two to three year production run.We haven't seen the A77.2 in the flesh but it would seem that Sony is reusing much of the camera body and sub assembly with the electronic bits being changed.

But looking at what Sony is trying out with the A7 family, it is possible that Sony may try as similar strategy with the A99 as a way of reusing almost everything but the sensor but appealing to different users. Even if they intend to move everything to the E mount in the medium to long term. Without building a body like the D4s that way Sony can with a single body offer its version of what Nikon is offering over the Df, D800 and D800E and the D4s. Nikon may have made much of the supposed retro intentions with the Df but I would regard it as an attempt to offer an alternative to what is now a very slow selling D4 without actually having to say so publicly.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Well I've done it, I'm now running a Canon along side my A37/57 [A cheap used 550D] as a trial and to see how it pans out operationally and for building a system from the vast used Canon market.
So far I can report that the Canon Jpegs are excellent and are much more flexible in PP.
bfitzgerald

Well give it a bash and see how it pans out. There is no shortage of stuff available on Canon new and s/h, tons of bodies and lenses. Some real bargain s/h bodies too. You can buy a 60d on ebay brand new for £429, 30/40d's are almost given away for next to nothing (remember these cost over £1000 at launch) If are being smart you could build up a decent system for a very reasonable cost. Lenses wise I think Minolta have the market for bargain AF glass, not as much of it..but it's exceptional priced some of it (usual suspects beercan, 50mm's and the old but good range 35-70mm, 28-85mm)

This guy uses fairly modest stuff (60d, 40d etc) He posted on DPR once and upset a few gear nuts who didn't like his non pro camera concept ;-)
http://www.riverridgephoto.com/

Canikon jpegs are pretty good, has to be said least from my experience with them
Let us know how it pans out..
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

classiccameras wrote:It was me unless some one else also predicted the A mount line up for the future.

Entry level - A-58
Mid level/enthusiast - A7711
High end/semi Pro, A-99

I fear this may be all we have in A mount for the forseeable future, I would like to be proved wrong and see more A mount variety, but there doesn't seem to be any hint [yet] from Sony at the moment.
I believe the A77II is a High end (not Pro, and Sony always avoid the "pro" label on the Alpha cameras) APS camera.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classiccameras
Viceroy

Pako, my figure of speech, its interesting where you have pigeon holed the new 7711. I guess with Canikon having a strangle hold on the pro market, it would be to presumptuous for Sony to use the word Pro for any of their cameras.

Barry, thanks for taking an interest in my Canon experiment. I got the latest 18-55 TSM kit lens as a seperate purchase, its very good optically but I would say the Sony DT SAM 18-55 [ the last model just before the series 11 came out ] is better optically but not as good a build quality.
I now need to get a better standard zoom but the Canon 17-50 F/2.8 is out of the question even second hand and Ken Rockwell said it was no better than the 18-55 STM, might look at used Sigma.

I must admit the Canon Jpegs manipulate very well in PP, actually better than Sony and not a great deal more is gained from using RAW.

The A-57 is superior in many areas to the Canon least of all the excellent Fn guide in the EVF and very easy menu. Sony focussing is better as is action photography, however, after using an EVF for the last 2 years, the OVF is an absolute pleasure to use.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I meant to say STM
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

a77ii - very good camera.
Last edited by ValeryD on Thu May 08, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in the life unusual!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

classiccameras wrote:Pako, my figure of speech, its interesting where you have pigeon holed the new 7711. I guess with Canikon having a strangle hold on the pro market, it would be to presumptuous for Sony to use the word Pro for any of their cameras.
Sony do have a Pro line in the video world -so they know what Pro means. I guess Sony doesn't want to invest their selves yet into the customer service, replacement equipment, and other services Pro equipment deserves. Even then, many pros are using Sony cameras, A-mount and E-mount. So, if they don't build "Pro" Alpha cameras (A or E mount) is because they don't want to do it (yet)

The A77(II) and A99 are at the same level, that we can call "Advanced Amateur". Nikon stop offering Advanced APS cameras (the D300s was the last one) and I'm not sure Canon really have a semi-Pro APS camera -I don't really know Canon's offer.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Well I've done it, I'm now running a Canon along side my A37/57 [A cheap used 550D] as a trial and to see how it pans out operationally and for building a system from the vast used Canon market.
So far I can report that the Canon Jpegs are excellent and are much more flexible in PP.
You might check out the Canon 60D if you end up going with Canon. I had 3 Canon DSLRs, 2 Sonys, and 1 KM and the 60D was the best. No IBIS though and for me that was important. I think you would like the 60D much more than the 550D. I created a thread about the 60D:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =21&t=4730