A77 first thoughts and impressions

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A77 first thoughts and impressions

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

This was the new Sandisk Ultra + 80MB/s card.
Camera was in sleep mode (talking to someone) power up on half press shutter LCD was alive and VF..nothing

Will monitor is this happens again, didn't happen when I was burst shooting.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A77 first thoughts and impressions

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Quick update, no further lock up issues experienced, purchase is quite satisfactory for the price (though I advise to hide bank statements and documents as I got a grilling on "yet another camera" purchase..even though I explained my expenditure is fairly modest compared to some!)

Real world I'm still not finding much difference A57 to A77 image wise, some slight exposure variations, WB can differ a little (firmware got updated on the A77 so it might have had a few tweaks) GPS doesn't appear to massively hit the battery life, though it's not something I'd have turned on all the time it has proved fairly useful to nailing down obscure locations I've been to.

My own take is at the price I paid well worth a look, at initial release price I wouldn't have paid the £1100 odd tag. So far I've found there isn't a lot of differences image quality wise between the A57 and A77 so don't bother if it's purely on pixels very minor difference even with prime lenses. Handling wise quite good with some quirks (that ever pointless ? button!) But being able to map the exp comp to the rear dial (I'm in aperture priority most times) is useful on it's own. Quite a comfy body but mostly worth a look if you want more controls and the option to fit a grip, if that doesn't matter much I'd suggest hunting down an A57 (some still for sale and some s/h) because it's a capable machine in most ways and offers excellent bang per buck as well as a big buffer.

I have so far not needed any AF adjustments, which is a good sign. On the Sony's I have had there can be a tendency to lock behind faces at times (not to a huge degree could be AF point location for quick shots) either way both bodies are quite consistent with AF in most ways (both dump all over the D7000's I had hugely for AF)

I tested the A57 v A77 with the AF assist light off, the A77 could lock slightly better in lower light, not much of a difference though quite small. Speed wise both are pretty close no way to really tell a difference.