A57 v A77 Image quality

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: A57 v A77 Image quality

Unread post by classiccameras »

Yes, as I initially said, we are now seeing diminishing returns for your money from all the manufacturers. The 57 in my view stands out amongst the crowd as an iconic model, possibly never to be repeated again at that price level.
In a way Sony dropped a gooly on that camera not realising how good it really was and subsequently never even tried to capitalise on its success, twats is my response, they always seem to have their eye 'off' the ball, a bit like the British motor cycle industry.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think Sony's problem was the line up was not spread out enough, the A57 was too close to the A65, or rather the A65 didn't in my view offer enough differences to justify the price difference (GPS, better EVF nothing handling or body control wise) so most people probably went for the A57. which also had a bigger buffer

What Sony should have done is made a new 6 series body that was half way between the 57 and 77. Instead they killed the A57 (a mistake in my view)
I don't like the current line up much either once the 65/77 (mkI) stock is gone you have only 3 models

A too basic A58, then a massive price jump to the A77 II, then another big jump to a FF Body.
Maybe they will add another model to the line up..maybe not. I think Sony really need to re-think this one. A newer A57 mkII would fill this gap well.
It is possible to have a 3 model line up..but you really need an upper entry model that's more competitive. You can't really have a £600 gap you miss many customers
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Have to agree with you Barry.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw an A57 + 18-55mm in excellent or even better condition yesterday for US$300 at a shop. I have no idea what the going rate is for these, but it struck me as an excellent deal.
bfitzgerald

That it a pretty good deal. I still use my A57 along side the A77 and I am happy enough with both. You might think I'd always go for the A77, that's not the case as the IQ is close and the A57 can be a more compact take with you body. I do like the dual dials and mag alloy body..they compliment each other pretty well.

The A57 hit a nice spot between not too entry level and not horribly cut down. The EVF is a bit lower contrast but usable..the LCD is quite good and the buffer is large for a camera in that price range. There isn't a lot to not like bar the reduced controls on the body..again they're accepable for what it is. It was one of the more intersting models Sony produced I think it's worth a look for a second body
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Thanks to Barry for doing this comprehensive comparison. Sold my A580 and bought an A58 a couple of years ago. Lighter weight and I like the 20Mp sensor. I think I thought at the time that A hybrid with that 20Mp sensor in the A57 body would be just swell, but again Sony downgraded the body to go with a better sensor. I remember the grief when Sony brought out the A350. I bought one because of the larger sensor and live view, but decried the reduction in features from the A700 including a reduced buffer. A really missed opportunity to provide a premium product with which to beat CAN/NIK.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I think most people agree, the A-58 is a poor replacement for the 57/37, both better in my opinion, however the consensus is, the 20mp sensor delivers more detail resolution but really are you going to notice that unless you pixel peep. I higher quality prime on the old 57/37 could possibly even things out a bit.
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

As I've said before, I really regret selling my Minolta 7D.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
bfitzgerald

Just to update this old thread but real world using both I've found little reason to not use the A57 for many jobs bar the times I find GPS useful to have if I'm out in a remote location. I suspect the A57 has a lighter AA filter (moire seems more an issue a few times) than the A77 that may explain some differences, perhaps newer models might be a little better (aka A77II or A68). I still find 24 or even 16mp overkill for some jobs (ie shots to web) so I usually compress to lossy DNG to save disc space..even for serious printing it's not shown any obvious differences.

You also cannot really tell how ISO performance pans out because the actual exposure varies as this test showed..hence you'd have to have the camera there with you using it reading a review online isn't going to tell the full story. Coupled with the A77's very conservative metering hence it's reputation as a poor low light performer. The D7000 I had was a bit better (not hugely but no light sucking mirror) both cameras are usable to 3200 and possibly 6400 you have to really nail it at 6400 you'll be in for a hell of a pp ride if you underexpose it significantly at very high ISO. With fast lenses even in horrible light both are up to the job if you want better you'll have to splash out for full frame where there is an obvious advantage. Though if they could improve the high ISO a stop on crop cameras that would be nice

KM5D was aggressive with low light metering similar to the Nikon I had. Many of the Sony models were not thus the reason they got a bad rep A200 being one again exposure a full stop off the KM5D at times that makes a massive difference for low light shooting. Though the 6mp CCD was quite good for that it did outperform the 10mp CCD a bit