Latest from SAR re A-mount future releases

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Latest from SAR re A-mount future releases

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-what ... le-lenses/
While E-mount news and rumors are pretty reliable and stable the A-mount future is quite more…unpredictable. The last couple of weeks I got in contact with as many as source as possible to try to gather some reliable info. And this is what I got:

1) A-mount is certain to continue.
2) Sony E-mount success caught Sony a bit “unprepared”. Therefore many A-mount product released have been “delayed” to focus resources and production on E-mount. This because that system needs to be broadened as soon as possible before the competition catches up. Editor’s note: This could be a reason why some of the rumored A-mount lenses planed for 2014 haven’t been released yet
3) Release cycle of A-mount products is getting longer.
4) New A-mount cameras will focus on a more high end market (likely no cheap entry level A-mount camera to come anymore?).
So hang on to your current A-mount cameras for a while yet, particularly if you don't fancy paying for the Pro stuff. I for one will not part with my A58 now.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Latest from SAR re A-mount future releases

Unread post by Dusty »

I saw this yesterday. Sad. Having no entry-level camera is a sure way to end the line.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You can't not have an entry model that's commercial suicide for any camera company so I very much doubt that is the case at all (SAR can be very wrong in their predictions)

However I don't doubt that the release of A mount stuff is slowing down and has done for a while. Personally it's not a big deal to me at this moment, I'm not in the market for much buying wise right now at least the A77II came out (and I've used one for a bit as a friend bought one pretty good overall, though for me not an essential update over the A77 as I don't do much action/sports/wildlife stuff)

I suppose next year will be more revealing the A58 will be due replacement (we'll see if one turns up) and they have to do an update to the A99 as well as show something lenses wise. If that happens only time will tell. I've no idea how well E mount is going for them, I still have very little interest in E mount it's not my cup of tea at all
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Another lowly rated rumour on SAR, which could be true bearing in mind the current Sony thinking.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-only ... ns-coming/
Rumors from Russia disclose some possible scenario for the future A-mount development. A source who claimed to be in contact with Sony said:

1) A-mount will be developed in parallel with the E-mount.
2) Development is only in the direction of expensive high-quality optics.
3) The A-mount development will be limited to the A7x and A9x line (possibly A9x FF cameras will be more).
4) Sony plans to release 2 A-mount lenses, one of them tilt-shift.

Of course I cannot trust those kind of rumors from unkown sources. But it’s not the first time I keep receiving that exact kind of info and there is a fair chance the rumor may be true!
Maybe I should think of buying another A58 as back-up for my current one although I rarely use Amount now, preferring NEX and RX100.
I wonder if there is a sufficient quantity of A900/850 and A99 users out there to justify Tilt/Shift as there is already a Samyang T/S lens available.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'd love a good quality 24 T/S from Sony.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.