Sony Alpha 7 II with Olympus 5-axis IBIS

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Sony Alpha 7 II with Olympus 5-axis IBIS

Unread post by bakubo »

Announced and available here in Japan on December 5th:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/589300 ... -5-axis-is

Hardly any more point to A-mount, I think.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony Alpha 7 II with Olympus 5-axis IBIS

Unread post by bakubo »

Fortunately, there are adapters to use A-mount lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Interesting that solves one problem (ie losing IBIS with lenses) now they have to solve the adapter issues (make something more affordable and less bulky)
On the other hand subject to pricing (which is unknown right now) I'd be fairly annoyed if I'd bought the A7

Maybe they should have done this from day 1 E mount bodies with IBIS that way they could have skipped the IS lenses (which would have helped make them a bit more compact) now this has turned up it's pretty much obsoleted every other E mount body they'll have to add IBIS to all their range now including APS-C bodies.

I'll plod along with A mount though but at least it has addressed one major gripe losing IBIS the future is looking at least a little bit more interesting
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Well the Marketing and Finance people certainly be hoping that the A7 II convinces a lot of people ( including some photographers ) that this is a must have upgrade. I think for the time being I'll be sticking to the my current A7r, RX 10 and A77. The A77 will probably be my last A mount and is really only being retained in case I need to do some events based photography. There are times I would like the RX10 to focus quicker but even here I can't see any reason to replace it anytime soon.

At this point I am more interested in adding a couple of extra FE lenses like the 90mm macro and even selling the A mount 16 - 35 zoom when the price of the FE 16 - 35 / 4.0 comes down in price a bit.

I would like to think that the announcement more of the updated A mount lenses would mean that there will be less negativity about the future of the A mount cameras but I seriously doubt it somehow. The replacement lenses certainly seem to indicate that there will for the next few years be newer enthusiast models appearing even if it is rather pointless in competing against all the bottom feeders still in the Canon and Nikon warehouses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The updated lenses are well needed but they don't address the holes in the system which is a problem
Pricing wise this looks £1500 odd which is above current entry level DSLR's for FF so nothing earth shattering there.

Optics wise E mount is pointless for native lenses simply because the prices are too high, it makes a lot more sense to use current A mount lenses and you'll likely get better optical performance as they will sit further away from the sensor.
As it is though nice to see IBIS (should have had it from day one) but I prefer to stick to A mount the form factor and weak battery life of E mount are other issues
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

I'm not sure comments about longer / shorter flange distances is of much relevance in itself. It would be simply a lens design consideration for certain lenses.

As to cost, this much depends on what you are buying and where - so is certainly no general argument point. I didn't go shopping for the lowest price anywhere but to the offerings of a particular Australian dealer selling Australian sourced stock including tax.

Sony A7 II assuming the same introductory price as the A7 was AUD 1999. Sony CZ 16-35mm f 4.0 AUD 1499 ( just recently available ). Sony CZ 24-70mm f 4.0 AUD 999. Sony G 70-200mm f 4.0 AUD 1450.

Canon alternative kit. Canon 5D Mark III ( no IBIS ) AUD 3392, 16-35mm f 4.0 IS AUD 1276, 24-70mm f 4.0 IS AUD 1397, 70-200mm f 4.0 IS AUD 1457.

Nikon alternative kit. Nikon D750 ( no IBIS ) AUD 2379, 16-35mm f 4.0 VR AUD 1405, 24-70mm f 4.0 VR AUD 1395, 70-200mm f 4.0 VR AUD 1899.

Now if you wish to carry around an A99 or the supposed to be coming A99 II with the group of new f 2.8 lenses be my guest. It is an area that I no longer have any wish to go. Not only am I slowing down but so is most of my photographic style and output.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:Canon alternative kit. Canon 5D Mark III ( no IBIS ) AUD 3392, 16-35mm f 4.0 IS AUD 1276, 24-70mm f 4.0 IS AUD 1397, 70-200mm f 4.0 IS AUD 1457.
You could get the price down by getting the 6D instead.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Yes especially if I waited a couple of months and see what Canon will run out the 6D or for that matter the 5D. Given the latest round of rumours / wishful thinking about Canon and the 46 MP super sensor.

But I was making an assumption that overall the 5D was genuinely closer in real world performance to that the A7 II will deliver than the 6D.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Interesting article about the A7 II.

Why Announce a Camera You Can’t Get?

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/why ... a-you.html
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Thom seems to have been short sheeted by the latest information on SAR. Claims that the camera will be available in Korea from 2 December as well as Japan. I would suspect some will be made available in Hong Kong and perhaps Singapore before Christmas. The US may get some but from Sonys own figures, mirrorless is not a major seller for them south of Canada and north of Mexico.

There have been several sales of the A7 family in Australia in the second half of the year - perhaps there isn't that much stock left to clear as Thom seems to assume. Sony after all is not a mass manufacturer on the scale of Canon or Nikon. And as initial trial models Sony may have decided to limit potential losses if they turned out to be a lemon market wise.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:Thom seems to have been short sheeted by the latest information on SAR. Claims that the camera will be available in Korea from 2 December as well as Japan. I would suspect some will be made available in Hong Kong and perhaps Singapore before Christmas. The US may get some but from Sonys own figures, mirrorless is not a major seller for them south of Canada and north of Mexico.
I wonder, if maybe did you stop reading part of the way through? About 2/3 of the way down there is the Update section where he writes about the A7II being available outside of Japan in December.

I haven't heard of how the mirrorless sales in Canada and Mexico are going. Do you have some info?
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

I would much prefer to try out a real life camera rather than have a debate over semantics. But there is available as in go to any photo dealer and buy a camera there and then and available but since the one camera we managed to get has gone you need to put in your order and wait one / two / three weeks.

Thom is far from the most US centric commentators but still does suffer from thats not how its done in the good ol' USA.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

There is really BIG news about the A7II! It allows both the IBIS and ILIS to work at the same time. That is a first for the camera industry. Earlier KM, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, and Panasonic bodies with IBIS would not work in concert with ILIS. You had to choose one or the other. With the A7II are we talking about 6-10 stops of IS now? I somehow missed this news.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Agreed.

Of course the most fantastic news would be if Sony were to produce an LA-EA 4 type adapter for Canon EF and Nikon AF-S lenses. Then something would be hitting the fan in large amounts.
After all what's a knife in the back between friendly rivals ?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:I would much prefer to try out a real life camera rather than have a debate over semantics. But there is available as in go to any photo dealer and buy a camera there and then and available but since the one camera we managed to get has gone you need to put in your order and wait one / two / three weeks.

Thom is far from the most US centric commentators but still does suffer from thats not how its done in the good ol' USA.
I was just commenting on your comment. It didn't seem like you had read all of the article. Anyway, do you have some info on Canada and Mexico sales? Probably it's out, but I don't know. I thought you meant you did have info.