Unable to access some features of A200?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
DavidM
Acolyte

Unable to access some features of A200?

Unread post by DavidM »

Hi all

I've had an A200 for a few years but it has hardly been used other than the basic settings, I have recently started using it again but have noticed that I'm having trouble getting some of the settings changed...

Specifically, I can't change the ISO manually, shoot in burst mode, change the white balance, or change the menu display (it seems to be stuck in basic display mode). The buttons which should give me access to these settings don't seem to be broken, as when I press them in image preview they return me to the "home" screen, but for instance the ISO button won't bring up the ISO menu no matter what mode I'm on or seemingly what other settings I change.

Has anyone come across this sort of issue before? Does it mean the camera has a fault or have I just locked myself out of some settings? Apologies if these seem like daft questions, I'm still very much at the beginner stage.

Thanks

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Unable to access some features of A200?

Unread post by Dusty »

Welcome to the forums, David!

I don't have an A200, but just a thought (don't have any of my Alpha's with me today, so can't check) - What mode are you in when trying to make changes?

Make sure you're not in Program mode, some of the cameras don't have program shift. Can you not see the ISO settings in the menu, or are they there but won't change? A little more info on what you've tried may help us to help you!

Happy New Year,

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Same thing occurred to me Dusty. If in P mode I'm sure some functions are locked out but I couldn't say which as I don't have a 200.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
DavidM
Acolyte

Unread post by DavidM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

ISO is set at 100 in Manual mode and Auto in all other modes, but pressing the ISO button has no effect in any mode. The camera does change the ISO itself when taking pictures. According to the manual pressing the button should bring up the ISO selection menu.

I would expect this to mean the button is broken, but when reviewing pictures or in the menu, pressing the ISO button returns me to the home screen, so it isn't a completely dead button (hopefully).

Thanks again

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

DavidM wrote:Hi all

I've had an A200 for a few years but it has hardly been used other than the basic settings, I have recently started using it again but have noticed that I'm having trouble getting some of the settings changed...

Specifically, I can't change the ISO manually, shoot in burst mode, change the white balance, or change the menu display (it seems to be stuck in basic display mode). The buttons which should give me access to these settings don't seem to be broken, as when I press them in image preview they return me to the "home" screen, but for instance the ISO button won't bring up the ISO menu no matter what mode I'm on or seemingly what other settings I change.

Has anyone come across this sort of issue before? Does it mean the camera has a fault or have I just locked myself out of some settings? Apologies if these seem like daft questions, I'm still very much at the beginner stage.

Thanks

David
I'm sure you can change the ISO in P mode (also A mode) while M mode the ISO can be changed (I think, if it's the same as the A100) but in M mode regardless of what it says on the screen it meters at 100 ISO when using flash (again if it's the same as the A100).
I think your camera is in [Auto] mode myself, and if so you can't set ISO at all, the camera takes charge of that (and a few other settings) in [Auto] mode.
Greg
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

David,

I had a quick glance at the DPreview of an A200.
You have to press and HOLD the ISO button whilst rotating the front finger dial at the same time to change ISO.

Hope this works.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

On the A200 just pressing the button should bring up the ISO options something sounds wrong maybe try a re-set of the camera
I had one for a good few years with no issues, though I preferred the Km5d overall handling wise still there are plenty around s/h for very little if the camera is faulty
DavidM
Acolyte

Unread post by DavidM »

Thanks very much for your advice everyone, sadly pressing or holding the ISO button seems to have no effect in any mode, and I've reset the camera more than once - looks like a fault after all :(

Thanks again

David