Sony A77 II Shooter’s Report

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Sony A77 II Shooter’s Report

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/s ... art-ii.htm

Seems to be a hot topic of discussion I can't comment a lot as I've only had a play with the A77II a few times, and I rarely put cameras to much use for cont AF or tracking subjects (just not my type of shooting that often) Bit surprised it didn't fare better, though there are a lot of settings in the camera for AF.

If it's close to the mark (did they test with the new firmware?) bar the bigger buffer maybe less appealing for action shooters after reading this.

Thoughts?
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Re: Sony A77 II Shooter’s Report

Unread post by Heidfirst »

The best APS-C action camera is the 7D MkII. It has the best AF, good buffer & whilst Canon's sensors are beaten at low ISO by Nikon/Sony's the gap closes up at higher ISO which is where you need it for action. & of course a wider range of teles than Sony. The body is twice the price but the long lenses are cheaper. For a pro I would imagine that the choice is pretty clear.
The D7100 possibly has better continuous/predictive AF than the A77 II but has an useless buffer. Rumoured to be replaced by a D7200 imminently.

They all have their pros & cons & they don't really go head to head.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A77 II Shooter’s Report

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It's inevitable that comparisons will be made between the 3 models (even with the price difference on the Canon) Nikon's model suffers from having an entry level SLR buffer which isn't acceptable for that type of product and I think they know that too.

It is unlikely Nikon will give the D7200 a massive buffer but who knows if they pitch it higher it should at least have a reasonable one (ie 15 shots or near there raw) Canon have a user base to play to (or rather exploit) with the 7dMkII the price I think is quite ridiculous for a crop body. Sony can't really hope to compete as they don't really have the lens line up to do so.

However I have seen conflicting reports on the AF performance of the Canon and the Sony