A900 v A580

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jeffworsnop
Acolyte

A900 v A580

Unread post by jeffworsnop »

Question is whether the full frame format camera above would produce 12 x 16inch prints that are sharper and with better tonality than the A580 would when processing raw files in LR and printing from LR?
I ask because I spent a week photographing on a wet and windy island and the A580 suffered from the dampness whereas the A900 should have fared better. I have in mind to get a weather sealedcamera but can't afford a nice new camera body. Also it seems there are lots of high quality Minolta/Sony lenses Icould use on a full frame camera.
Any good info. gratefully received.
Cheers
Jeff
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: A900 v A580

Unread post by the_hefay »

I've never owned or used an A900, but my guess is that it would do better than the a580 in tonality simply based on it being FF and the flagship model. Keep in mind that I have nothing concrete on which to base my opinion. There are however other things to consider such as features that you might be used to on the a580 that are not present on the a900. You are probably already aware of that but thought it was worth mentioning just in case. I'm thinking specifically of live view, video, and focus check LV. Of course they may mean nothing to you.

You sited price as a reason for considering an a900. I'm not sure where you are located, but the last nine a900 cameras sold on ebay.com averaged $1050.00 after shipping. That's comparable to the a77ii new. It's also weather-sealed, but not FF.

Just some thoughts.
jeffworsnop
Acolyte

Unread post by jeffworsnop »

[quote="the_hefay"]I've never owned or used an A900, but my guess is that it would do better than the a580 in tonality simply based on it being FF and the flagship model. Keep in mind that I have nothing concrete on which to base my opinion. There are however other things to consider such as features that you might be used to on the a580 that are not present on the a900. You are probably already aware of that but thought it was worth mentioning just in case. I'm thinking specifically of live view, video, and focus check LV. Of course they may mean nothing to you.

You sited price as a reason for considering an a900. I'm not sure where you are located, but the last nine a900 cameras sold on ebay.com averaged $1050.00 after shipping. That's comparable to the a77ii new. It's also weather-sealed, but not FF.

[quote]

My A580 is back in full working order. It seems Scottish rain and spray were not the culprit for malfunctioning. A reset to factory default cured everything. So weatherproofing has become less important. But FF still has an attraction and is an aspiration for the future.
Cheers
Jeff
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Glad to hear it's working for you.