a450

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

a450

Unread post by TheOldHobbit »

Just as an introduction I am very much the amature and have been snapping away for a few years now. I started out with a Canon 450D but for some reason I could not get results that I was happy with, so I switched to sony only because the SSS was built into the camera. I have and still use my old a200 but also use my trusty a450 as my primary body. I have been fairly happy with it as an entry level camera but thinking of maybe changing. Does anyone else use the a450 ?
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: a450

Unread post by the_hefay »

What features are looking to add? Are you wanting something new or is used okay? The a580 and a57 are excellent cameras and are both nice upgrades from the a450. Of course they have been discontinued so you would have to purchase one used. If you want new, then check out the a58 or for a more advanced camera the a77ii.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Hi and welcome, I had a Canon 450D and it had exposure problems, it was over exposing by almost a stop and was burning out the high lights, living very near Canon UK I took it in to be checked and they said it was a trait of that model and to set the EC to -7, not good, I sold it and got a A-37 and later a A-57, superb cameras and no exposure problems. Hefay has given you some good advice.

Pete
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Thank you both for your welcome replies and very sound advice. I have had my 450 for about 3 years and although I don't know that much about photography, I do like to snap away and every now and then get a photograph that I am very please with. My reason for thinking about a change is because I have just bought the SAL70300G and am not altogether pleased with the initial results. Perhaps I had higher expectations but it does not produce the sharpness that I had hoped for. I had read very good reviews before buying and wondered if a change to a more up to date body would help.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Can you explain what issues you are having with the lens or in what ways it seems to be underperforming? Low light, CA, softness overall or in specific areas, etc. I've never used that lens but I'm sure that there are several here who have. Also, does the lens perform the same on the a200 and the a450?
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

I am experiencing a certain softness to my pictures and note fairly high ISO unless in really bright sunlight. I have a Sigma 75-300 SSM and I was hoping the G would be much better, its not a significant difference but cost nearly £400 more. I feared that perhaps my 450 was suffering a little back or forward focusing but its the same on the a200. I have seen some really excellent pictures taken with the G but have no information on which camera it was bolted too. The good news is that my lovely lady has agreed that a a77ii can be considered and I may be able to announce the good news soon.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Are you using full auto settings? If so, put your camera into aperture priority mode try a few shots of the same scene with iso 100 and varying f-stops. You will probably find that closer to f/8 (just a guess) will give you the best results. If you shoot just jpeg, I suppose that in camera noise reduction could be what is making the images softer. I'm not sure what options are available in the a450, but you can try turning off or turning down the noise reduction to see what happens. If you are not able to get satisfactory results with the lens on either body, then the chances of doing so with a new body are slim, unless you are able to pinpoint the issue.