Metal mount on A58

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Metal mount on A58

Unread post by classiccameras »

I read some where on another site, where some person had fitted a metal mount to his A58, he said it was easy to take off the plastic one and fit a metal one, lens fit was snug in his words. He never said where he got it from although $22 was mentioned, I wonder if it came off a A57?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Metal mount on A58

Unread post by bakubo »

Maybe it came off an old Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 5000.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Found this with a quick DuckDuckGo search: http://sonyalphalab.com/forums/showthre ... ETAL-mount!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
classiccameras
Viceroy

Thanks Dusty for posting the sonyalphalab post on metal mount for A58, It has made me reconsider buying a 58 body as they are quite cheap now and look for a mount.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You can do it but with ebay full of bargain A77's and A57's is there any point buying an A58?
classiccameras
Viceroy

Good point Barry!
mixxer
Acolyte

Unread post by mixxer »

In the unlikely event of anyone actually wearing out the standard lens mount on their A58 I would suggest using the mount from an old Minolta Dynax 3000i or similar, ~ £5 from a charity shop near you.
classiccameras
Viceroy

mixxer, I guess its more a cosmetic thing rather than making the mount stronger.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It was more to do with the super budget plastic mount Minolta's I didn't like them much and there wasn't any point (Dynax 4 fine but why bother the 5 was the better camera all round)

I don't doubt the mount will be fine it was the smooth cheaper plastics on the other parts of the body that really annoyed it just didn't feel that good (where as the A57 did feel pretty solid and much nicer) particularly the moulded plastic thumb section. What kinda killed the A58 was the weedy buffer though. Getting back on track what really stood out is whilst it was cheap so was the 1200d and that didn't have a plastic mount there is no reason to fall below a rival just to save 50 pence per camera made.