If there is no A99II where do you go?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Edward
Acolyte

If there is no A99II where do you go?

Unread post by Edward »

Hi Folks,

I'm leaning towards the thought that Sony will never release an A99II, and the A99 is not being produced -- so where does that leave someone with an A850 and a lot of A-mount glass go? The e-mount with an adapter does not look like a rational choice.

I'm considering selling everything (while it still has some value) and moving to Nikon but could use advice on what to look at.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: If there is no A99II where do you go?

Unread post by peterottaway »

Why not use an adapter ? I have used the EA-2 and EA-4 for several years.
Edward
Acolyte

Unread post by Edward »

Because a small e-mount camera with an adapter and an A-mount lens is clunky, to say the least. -- If sony can't produce an A99II, then I'm done with sony products. They have kept us hanging on with an A99II announcement nearly 3 years ago, instead of telling the truth about the A-mount. Frankly I think they made that announcement to keep people from leaving Sony. Since then they have produced one thing after another, until its hard to define what business they are in. This sony behavior is an integrity issue.

Now which Nikon would you folks look at.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

To be honest if I move to Nikon it would be a D750. I've seen and handled a D800 and I found it just too big compared to the A99.
I have both A77 and A99 and at times I need the extra 1.5 factor of the A77 so it would likely be a D7200 and D750 combo. Not sure about the lenses though as Nikon, Sigma and Tamron lenses all have a vibration reduction system but Sigma zooms in the opposite direction to the native lenses.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

mikeriach wrote:To be honest if I move to Nikon it would be a D750.....
Yes, me too
Edward wrote:.... -- If sony can't produce an A99II, then I'm done with sony products. They have kept us hanging on with an A99II announcement nearly 3 years ago, instead of telling the truth about the A-mount. ...

Now which Nikon would you folks look at.
I have exactly same idea. :!:
Everything in the life unusual!
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

For me, who has a more modest budget, I would look to the d610. That being said, Pentax will have out a FF camera in a few weeks, and with IBIS, I would have to give it a good look.

Rumors are it will use a Sony 42mp sensor, and cost $2k.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Dusty,

The A580 was very good image wise but somehow I just didn't gel with it if you know what I mean. A little clunky and maybe felt a little fragile and I prefer double adjustment wheels. The images were good though.

The only reason I discount the D610 is the lack of moveable screen. I've got so used to the swivel/tilt of the A77/99 and I do use it for low angles and over walls so I'd really miss than feature. It appears to be a good entry level FF camera though and a few of my friends want one.

One feature I would really miss is the ability to review in the EVF. Even if I don't have my glasses or contacts in, I can still review easily by adjusting the dioptre wheel.

I see 36mp and 42mp around me but to be honest I'm happy with 24, it works for me.

We'll see what happens in the coming months.

Mike
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

[quote="mikeriach".......
I see 36mp and 42mp around me but to be honest I'm happy with 24, it works for me....

Mike[/quote]

Mike, I treat more MPs the way I treated medium/large format film - I can either use the higher resolution, esp with larger blow-ups, or I can use it as a crop factor. Going from MF to 35mm is about like going from FF to APS-C.

If the new Pentax uses the 42MP sensor, then I get 1.75 times the range on all my shots by cropping to 24MP.

I don't abide by the "takes too much storage" whining. I can buy a TB of storage now for less than I could buy 250GB when I bought my A350. The local computer shop has 3TB drives for $90. And the computer I now use has 4 cores and 12GB or RAM, so it handles large files better than the old single core w/ 2GB of RAM did the smaller ones.

Of course, I still want improvements in dynamic range, etc, so MPs aren't the end-all of a good camera. We'll all have to take a look soon, as it appears that Sony has abandoned the Alpha mount.

Dusty
sqarehole
Acolyte

Unread post by sqarehole »

If the only way is up, then Medium Format must be the way...'Blad H5? Back to film?
Alternatively you could just stick with the A99, maybe buy a couple for the future, for when your original breaks and can't be fixed. It does loads, with good lenses, and in the right hands it takes good photographs. Is newer always better? Or just newer?
Consumerism v Contentment: discuss.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Not much choice as the A99 broke down a couple of weeks ago. Currently waiting for a repair quote :(
Did have a look on eBay and other second hand dealers for another body but I'll wait till I have the cost first before I decide what to do. Might be a second body yet.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

sqarehole wrote:Is newer always better? Or just newer?
Consumerism v Contentment: discuss.
Well, My 580 does a much better job at higher ISO settings than the 350 or 700 did. And I do like it's sweep panorama. The reason I didn't buy one when it was new was because it didn't have the built in GPS that the 55 had, and that was the one feature I truly wanted. Being as it's the last OVF Alpha, that's why I now have it.

My a350's can still produce fine photos when held to ISOs under 800, and acceptable ones a bit above. And I'm the kind of guy who runs a car until the wheels are square, so you need to give me a good reason to update.

We're now in a fairly mature state of digital photography. My early digicams couldn't hold a candle to 35mm film, and were only used for convenience. If I still wanted a really finely detailed photo I'd have to break out my 4x5 and some film, but that's because I don't have a top of the line FF DSLR or MF camera, nor could I afford one! (However, anyone wanting to give me a Leaf of Phase One may rest assured I'll cherish it forever!)

There is surely a need for us to throw off old tech from the early days for serious work. That being said, how may photos are serious work, and how many are selfies/that's so cute I gotta post it to Facebook/etc.? I wouldn't shoot weddings with an A100 or similar, I'd rather go back to MF film. But my 350s did fine for that job, and the even better cameras of today do finer still.

As I've said before, in the old days, it was good glass, good film, and good technique that got good photos. I could do as well with my XGM as the guy with a Nikon F1-6, using the same film and the best lenses for both. Today that doesn't hold true as our film is fixed, in the form of the sensor we buy in the camera. If only we could interchange sensor module like we could film packs, we'd hardly ever buy a new body!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dusty
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

As I don't have a FF camera I don't go anywhere but it would be nice to have an A mount FF body turn up A99 might be an option s/h for me but I'm not unhappy with APS-C and I have completed my line up mostly. I'd sit this one out and wait
Edward
Acolyte

Unread post by Edward »

Once upon a time I had a Minolta X-700 and a number of D- lenses. When it became clear that auto focus was the future and that equipment would not be usable, a couple of Pros tried to tell me that I should move to Nikon since they promised their existing lens would be usable as a manual lens on auto focus Nikon bodies.

Today we have nothing showing up for the A-mount, and the expense of moving to the E-mount is the same as moving to say the Nikon D810 and new lenses. Why isn't Sony coming forward and saying what their plans are?
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Edward it's not quite the same thing back then your mount died your system did you had to move. With the ILC mounts (all of them) you can fit adapters and use lenses you're not quite as stuffed as you were then. Saying that I've no idea what Sony are up to and I bet they're not sure either

Worst case scenario Sony stop making A mount stuff then we have only two choices use what you have for the time being and buy an ILC model or some sort that includes E mount with an adapter, or move system. The last choice is the most expensive. I'm not overly fond of an E mount only future personally I find the bodies I've tried too small and the battery life pretty pathetic too maybe they can address those issues. I'd prefer to have A mount bodies but I'm not the one making the choices here. I suppose we'll find out soon enough what Sony's plans are or maybe they will subscribe to the "say nothing" strategy. Whatever happens I'm not dumping my lenses because of what some suit in Tokyo decides
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am guessing that any mount that has a significant number of lenses in people's hands will probably live on and have bodies from someone. In the case of the A-mount and Sony it might just be having to use adapters on mirrorless bodies. Or if Sony just up and decided to get out of the ILC business probably some other company would buy the rights to the A-mount.

I figure the same thing with m4/3. One of the really good things is that there are 2 major m4/3 body makers: Olympus and Panasonic. One can easily go from Olympus to Panasonic and still use all the same lenses. Or even switch back and forth depending on which company has the body you like at the moment. Or even use both at the same time. Also, Kodak (the Chinese Kodak) makes one or two m4/3 bodies. Blackmagic and JVC make video cameras using it also. And now DJI makes a drone that uses it too. Plus, Sigma, Tamron, Koiwa, Voigtländer (Cosina), Tokina, Lensbaby, etc. make lenses. I figure if both Olympus and Panasonic should decide to stop making bodies that someone would step in and make them since there are so many people with lenses out there who would want a body. Fortunately, m4/3 seems to be a very dynamic market since my head is reeling at all the products (bodies, lenses, etc.) that have come out since I first bought m4/3 in April 2012.

I think some company will step in and provide bodies for any mount that has a big base of existing users. That doesn't mean that the lens owners might not have many nights of worry though wondering what is going to eventually happen.... :lol: