Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Unread post by sury »

After about 5 years to the month, I decided to get the A77M2. It is expected to arrive in the next
2-3 weeks. It is a brand new unit for which, I paid 20% more than the cost of HVL60M flash.
or about 25% less than the current best deal. :) I had a chance to get A7R2 for $800 discount but decided
to pass it up (for now :D )

As I read more and more about the camera and 4D focus etc, I find this camera a bit more sophisticated than
A700 that it going to "replace", I would appreciate any pointers, do's and do not's, anything else that I should
keep in mind.

I found this http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-gb/L ... index.html quite
useful and not having the camera yet, I started getting glazed eyes. I am seriously thinking of taking the A77M2
to my upcoming trip to Machu Pichu in April 2016 rather than A900 which had been my staple for the last
five years of my travel.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Unread post by the_hefay »

The biggest don't that I know of is this: Don't leave it on the shelf. :D

Oh, and do make sure it's attached to the tripod unlike me :oops:
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =30&t=8481
the_hefay
Viceroy

Also, unless you always use the in camera wifi, put it into airplane mode. It's on by default. And congrats on your purchase!
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have no doubts about your general technique having seen your postings, but it is too easy to forget that you have doubled your MP count. And problems not so apparent at 12 MP will draw attention to themselves.

Just like those purchasing 36/42/50 MP full frame cameras you need to keep an eye on what you are doing until it becomes second nature to you. On the plus side the sensor is capable of better quality at higher speeds so you are not loosing anything when having to use an extra stop in speed.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you Jeff and good point about tripod and such. I am very paranoid and even when I am (not) using a tripod, the camera strap is always around my neck. I will be extra vigilant and thanks for the wifi tip.

Peter, good point and for most last five years my A900 has seen more use (~66000 clicks versus 15K on A700) and am presuming the caution you are talking about is applicable to both. But do you see a difference and could you elaborate on keeping an eye on what
I would be doing, i.e. I should (not) be doing due to high MP count, if you don't mind, please? Thank you in advance.

My main motivation in picking up this one over other options I had (A99, A7R2) is that I do not have high MP APS-C camera and 77II will nicely complement A900 till such time that my A900 dies or A99M2 is announced, which ever is earlier. I have also ordered a ADP-MAA so that I can use my HVL-58AM and HVL20-AM flash if need be. One immediate use I see is using my 70-400G (first gen) for some BIF since till now I could either have reach and low MP or High MP and low reach.

Hitherto, I was thinking I should send my A100 for IR conversion and may be I should send my A700 for IR conversion so that I can at least put it to an occasional use.

With best regards,
Sury
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

A 24 MP APS-C sensor is the same as a 50 plus MP full frame camera so the demands are somewhat different. Also the sensors are different, my now elderly Minolta 28-135 to me performs better on my A7r II than it does on my A850 or A77.

Now that may be my imagination, the sensor, that DxO is more refined in processing RAW from the A7r II or a combination of all three. It is harder to tell the A7r from the A7r II especially when printed only to A3 plus or A2 but even here less effort is required in processing most of my shots.

Even with 24 MP vs 24 MP full frame each generation is somewhat better in its sensor / processor combination and the A850 / A900 is now rather elderly. It will not be as sharp as a hot off the press new model and so you have to accept that some imperfections are going to be more obvious. None of which is to say that an older 12 MP or 24 MP is no longer capable of delivering the goods.

A very long winded way of saying anything much more than a 24 MP APS sensor is not the same as a 24 MP full frame sensor and even then it is only one of a number of variables.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Peter,
Aah. I see what you mean. Since the newer cameras better capable of capturing details, the imperfections will be
amplified as well and what hitherto went unnoticed will become more pronounced. For example, a portrait shot that
I thought was nice may start making my Missus not like it everything else being same since now she can see her imperfections,
(and for the record she has one - me :lol: ) that were not present.
The reason I am buying A77II is to have better shots and that reason will have unintended consequences, albeit some undesirable.
Excellent point. Need to retrain my thought process as you mentioned. Thank you for taking time and expounding the concept.

With best regards,
Sury
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

So far I use a77M2 for work more than one year, to be accurate almost 2 year.
Great camera, it's not FF, but has perfect autofocus system and acceptable noise level. I did compare with a99, a7 series. So far a77M2 - has better AF system and its most important personality for me. Of course you can make better quality picture with new a7 cameras, especially "static" shots, but again not so big difference. you can see a big difference for sport shots and any fast moving subjects. That part of a77M2 continue surprise me.
As you ask Sury about some help and an advise you can read Gary Friedman book
http://friedmanarchives.com/alpha77II/ - very good manual

Other good reading and may be just for information about the best lenses for a77II

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-len ... ny-SLT-A77
Everything in the life unusual!
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you Valery, for your insight and the links. Will do as suggested.
I have few good MA lenses and not in a particular mood to add any. But
your second link piqued my curiosity. Let see what it say. After all LL is
is always lurking beneath somewhere... :lol:
the_hefay
Viceroy

Sury, just one point about the IR conversion you mentioned for your A100 or A700. I'm not familiar with the a700 but with the a100, IR is more difficult. For instance, the a100 does not have live view. This means you can not see the composition until after the shot. If you get a full spectrum conversion and use IR filters in front of the lens that solves the composition problem, but you are always taking off and putting back on the filter. With an internal IR conversion, a/f can recalibrated for IR and you won't need an IR lens filter, but you can't see what you're shooting because of the internal IR filter unless you are shooting the sun. So, that being said, if the a700 doesn't have live view, then the same applies for it. It's not impossible to use an a100 for IR, but there are plenty of cameras that are much easier. Just my $.02. Others might disagree.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Sury,

I'm glad your GAS kicked in just before Christmas. It always makes it easier to to justify that way!

"It's the season of giving, I just gave it to myself!" (since I'm the sole breadwinner, all my presents are really from myself, anyway.)

Just be sure you don't short the wife this Christmas, that will ease any feelings of jealousy.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury

Unread post by sury »

the_hefay wrote:Sury, just one point about the IR conversion you mentioned for your A100 or A700. I'm not familiar with the a700 but with the a100, IR is more difficult. For instance, the a100 does not have live view. This means you can not see the composition until after the shot. If you get a full spectrum conversion and use IR filters in front of the lens that solves the composition problem, but you are always taking off and putting back on the filter. With an internal IR conversion, a/f can recalibrated for IR and you won't need an IR lens filter, but you can't see what you're shooting because of the internal IR filter unless you are shooting the sun. So, that being said, if the a700 doesn't have live view, then the same applies for it. It's not impossible to use an a100 for IR, but there are plenty of cameras that are much easier. Just my $.02. Others might disagree.
Thank you Jeff. A700 also does not have live view. Let me figure out what can I do with the additional bodies lying around on the shelf.

Sury
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

sury wrote:Thank you Valery, for your insight and the links. Will do as suggested.
I have few good MA lenses and not in a particular mood to add any. But
your second link piqued my curiosity. Let see what it say. After all LL is
is always lurking beneath somewhere... :lol:
Do you mean MD manual focus lenses too? They work better with SLT than with standard DSLR system. SLT cameras as a7 + has "Picking". Second link, as I say, just for information as your existing lens going to work with a77M2. :)
Everything in the life unusual!
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Sury, as someone who has been well past the point of imperfection for many years don't take it bad. I call it character :D . I would offer the suggestion that the A850/A900 remains a good portrait camera and not simply because it is OVF to revisit an old argument :mrgreen:

When the A77 II came out, I didn't see much point in buying it as I was satisfied with the original A77. However time has gone by and there is uncertainty about the A mount and I have just purchased the A77 II myself to ensure that I have what I think I need. Even if Sony come out with an A9 which improves on/ replaces the A7rII I don't think the price / performance would work for me in comparison with what the A77 II offers now in combination with my current A7r II.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Valery,
I have about half a dozen MD lenses including a Minolta 50/1.4, Tamron 70200 f2.8, Minolta 100/f4 bellows, Vivitar
90f2.5 with 1:1 extender and few more I cannot recollect in addition to about 5 of the list in the second link. If you are saying MD lenses do job with SLT cameras then I kick myself for not buying it earlier.

Sury