A99 11

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: A99 11

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:No app on the Windows store from Sony so that won't be much use to me. The reason I have a windows phone is they are one of the few makers that have a decent camera in the phone! I've tried plenty out there too.
M2 Sony Camera Remote (https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrdg75p
I have it installed on my phone (Lumia 950) and laptops. I don't use it often (but it works)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Why were people so worried about the A mount?

Didn't Sony update ALL of it's A mount Full Frame lenses? Or at least most of them... with new, faster, and more accurate SSM's and Nano AR coatings to go along with improved MTF performance.

Why would Sony do that for a discontinued line of cameras?

And think about this; Sony said all along that the A mount was not dead; why would the company lie?

Finally, how long did it take Canon to update it's most popular professional camera, the 5DIII? 4.5 years?

Why were folk so nervous?
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

A99II should offer GPS via Bluetooth connection to a smartphone.

The A99II utilizes the A77II body (with a few modifications) and is compatible with the A77 Vertical Grip.

79 effective cross type autofocus points will give BLAZING fast AF speeds with both SSM and screw drive lenses. 12 fps with full AF and AE is EXTREMELY impressive.

And $3199 USD is the same price as the A7RII... but HALF the price of the 1DXII and D5... cameras that are accepted as state of the art which don't out perform the A99II in several categories.

I plan to grab one off the SECOND run... just in case 5 years development time wasn't enough to work out ALL the bugs. :D
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:No app on the Windows store from Sony so that won't be much use to me. The reason I have a windows phone is they are one of the few makers that have a decent camera in the phone! I've tried plenty out there too.
M2 Sony Camera Remote (https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrdg75p
I have it installed on my phone (Lumia 950) and laptops. I don't use it often (but it works)
I just discovered a new APP that do the trick -more sophisticated than M2.
Locana (https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh2t6h1)
Just installed on my PC, I'm about to install it on my Lumia 950.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

As to GPS, that's the most desirable non-photographic thing for me.

Often, I would take pictures of signs that describe wherever I am so that I can later connect the dots on trips. Photos of the sign that says museum of xyz in Cairo, Paris, Brasilia or wherever. Some time I didn't see any signs. And now I'm old and my memory fades....

With GPS, the photo is tagged. 100 years from now, my great grandkids can look it up and say On Aug 3rd, 2018, great-grandpa was on the north rim of the Grand Canyon taking these photos from the outcropping that's right here on the map.

Now, I look at some of my photos and go: "Uh. South America for sure!" Of course iconic places like St. Basil's and the changing of the guard at Lenin's tomb means I know it's Red Square, but try remembering where you took that toucan snap 30 years later!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

IF you have a smartphone, the images can be geotagged if Bluetooth is activated on both the phone and the camera....
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

CHOLLY wrote:IF you have a smartphone, the images can be geotagged if Bluetooth is activated on both the phone and the camera....
But my cameras don't have bluetooth, and my phone only makes phone calls!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

:lol:

I know the feeling when it comes to cell phones. My kids had to drag me kicking and screaming into the 2000's a couple years back when they replaced my 12 year old flip phone. :wink:

But Dusty, Sony didn't forget you. IF you buy the A99II and upgrade to a smartphone, then you will have your GPS and can geotag 'till your heart is content. :D
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

It doesn't geotag on the picture, rather a separate file that you may link to while post-processing. AFAIK.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr