A99 11

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

A99 11

Unread post by classiccameras »

Sony announces new A-99 Mk 2 full frame 42mp, So they still have faith in A mount it seems. All we need now is a decent spec/build A-58 Mk 2
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A99 11

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - I am surprised they kept the SLT.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

The flash system is not compatible with A900, right?

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Flash system should be the same as a99 or a77-II
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Interesting seems to have it all ie loaded up for photo and video..at a price that is. Good to see something though. It might keep the A mount is dead folks quiet for a while at least.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I admit I was wrong, A mount is still alive. :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Edward
Acolyte

Unread post by Edward »

sury wrote:The flash system is not compatible with A900, right?

Sury
There is an adapter. It came with the A99V. Don't know if it ships with the A99II. They are $25.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you Valery and Edward. I have A77II and have an adapter from Sony for my HVL-58 flash.
I am covered if I get the new body. :D

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bfitzgerald

Couple of areas to note though AF assist light gone (please Sony stop following Canon's dumb design ideas) granted they say it's good for EV -4. No GPS..why they take this out I have no idea one of the more useful bits I have found a use for. £3k price will make many cringe. That aside something is better than nothing and it might keep some folks happy.

NFC and Wi-Fi have an eyefi card so not that useful. Two slots is nice to see.
Other than picking up a bargain FF body later on it convinces me APS-C is the best place for me to be. Still they put something out when some said they would not, just wish they had an affordable FF body for buyers minus the snazzy extras I think that would be welcomed. FF on A mount isn't affordable which limits it long term appeal
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I like the fact that with the battery grip attached you have 3 batteries at one time. As far as GPS, I've never thought of it a that important. However, there seems to be a lot of people that either desire or need it. After doing a little searching on the usefulness of GPS in a camera, I came across this post with a little different perspective on how to utilize GPS, NFC, and smartphones. I've just copied and pasted his post.

11-23-2013 07:21 PM edited {1}

GPS, becoming LESS and less important ... because of the growing use of Mobile.

WIFI/NFC is FAR more important.

Particularly with A7r/A7 ... you can just send your images from a location (even if you shoot in RAW , you can send "just" a small JPG to your Smartphone) to your Smartphone, any smartphone.

In theory , Your smartphone can TAG GPS to your images ... AND it can Upload them to a site in a folder by Location. So, then you NOW have also a Back up. Critical when you are on location. Doing a Paid Job.

With the "now" OPEN Sony API ... a APP could make this seamless , like you are taking the images from your Smartphone (this is the way is should be fyi).

It "could" have Drop down menus ... that let you choose from Pre-Sets you created ... with TAGS , Hashtags, Even Watermark. ... Have a constant WiFi connection from A7r to Smartphone, so it is Uploading "As you Shoot" and Taging , to a Folder you name.

Think of the power of "That" ?

Just GPS , does not save you Time like that would ... and your boss could see it as you shoot it.

APPs could change the Smartphone , Camera dynamic. Where High Res cameras with the proper LENS become as easy to put something on the WEB as Smartphones do.

Its not about Hardware ... It's about Software.

Right now the A7r/A7 can do it. It's just the APP/Software is clunky ... and when you send it ... it does not seem to keep the connection (Camera to Smartphone) Open. and it certainly does not have Pre-Sets to make Repetative JOBS easier to do. ... but, that can change, and fast , because it's Software on a Open API.

The other issue is ... you WILL need a lot of Batteries Smiley Happy

Hope this helps,

HG

Ross Hamamura
#SuperUserbySony
"
bfitzgerald

No app on the Windows store from Sony so that won't be much use to me. The reason I have a windows phone is they are one of the few makers that have a decent camera in the phone! I've tried plenty out there too.

I don't have a problem with Wi-Fi really don't need to transfer photos to a phone to the PC yes that is useful in some ways but hardly a must have if you have an EyeFi card which I do. The appearance of GPS in the Nikon and Canon equivalents does make me think they did their market research if there was no demand then they wouldn't have bothered. If I am correct the new Pentax FF also has GPS. Must be a reason 3/4 cats prefer GPS in their cameras? :D
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Barry, I could point out that Canon,Nikon and Pentax ( back from the FF crypt ) as the surviving SLR troika are hardly what you would consider to be at the leading edge for anything. :twisted:

I am personally not that interested in GPS or WiFi or NFS etc etc and etc. Just the camera doing what I think a camera should do. I have just bought a Series ! Apple Watch as I could see no reason to pay another $100 plus for GPS and a bit of water resistance. And it will go with my iPhone SE and not with the latest all singing / all dancing iPhone 7, simply, I don't need it.

Well if I do eventually buy an A99 II at least my A77 vertical grip will work with it ! If I had bought the original A99 with VG I think I would be rather narky about that. Although to be pragmatic, there are probably a lot more A77 VG's out there in the world than A99 VG's. And the A77 is quite large enough without going for anything bigger.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Well I'm glad to see the Sony commitment to A mount and something which seems to major on the shooting. I'm with Barry, don't need WiFi but would miss the GPS. I appreciate the knowledge transfer on ibis but yes I also cringe at the cost. Just too much for me, I won't be buying this until maybe 3 years time.
I'm happily running with my Nikon D750 for the moment at a very reasonable price.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

peterottaway wrote:Well if I do eventually buy an A99 II at least my A77 vertical grip will work with it !
Are you sure about this? The grips look completely different. The a77 grip has a section that slides up into the battery compartment, whereas the a99ii grip does not. Maybe it could work, but at first glance, they are two very different grips.
bfitzgerald

The size is close to the A77/A77II models quite a bit less than the first A99 not a bad thing a bulky camera in some ways.
I doubt the grip will fit the A77 or A99 seems a new grip is being released for it.

Wi-Fi sucks battery power hugely when used far more than GPS does. Not the end of the world but at £3000 something I think should be included. I was tempted to get an A77II before the sensor supply problem struck..the lack of GPS did make me think twice. Maybe an A77III might have enough extras to warranty a look if it turns up next year.

I wonder if Sony will start releasing A mount lenses. Might be a few sick E mount users who switched from A mount now this is out. I said some time ago whilst A mount was sleeping at least you could use A mount lenses on ILC bodies and the E mount Sony ones, you can't fit E mount lenses on anything but E mount bodies and they're expensive too. Perhaps those who did hold out and held their nerve had the right idea.