Sony a77II discontinued

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Sony a77II discontinued

Unread post by the_hefay »

The following was posted on B&H's website.

Bad news: Sony Alpha a77II has been discontinued.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Re: Sony a77II discontinued

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Does that mean that the A77III is in the works? Or that Sony will focus ALL it's A Mount manufacturing capacity squarely on the A99II?
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I would assume that given that Sony has announced the A6500 that an A mount A77III based on this will be offered. Given the apparent built up demand for the A99 II then it may not be available until April/May 2017 even if announced say in January 2017.

Sony may not have put the A77 II back into production after the damage to its production plants assuming that they had enough in stock to cover themselves at the then current sales rate. The A99 II may have given a boost to the sales of the A77 II as it indicated that Sony was still serious about its A mount cameras.

And as the same body will be used for both cameras, it means that a USD 3000 camera will have priority over a USD 1600 camera.
And at that price to me an A77 III is better value than an A6500 and for many a better choice than the A99 II. Pity that there so few really decent APS lenses on offer, but most people buying cameras in this price range seem to prefer FF lenses.

Always the optimist, Peter.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

The page is confusing. The top of the page says it is discontinued and shows 9 listings. The first one says no longer available. The subsequent ones say "In stock" or "more coming".

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N ... av-Search=
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

That confused me also. I think it just means that once the warehouse is empty, there won't be anymore coming.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Introduced in May 2014... yeah, probably it is at the end of production. Still available at B&H and Adorama doh...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It was out of stock for months on UK sites only recently come back. With the £ sterling crash it's not really a very appealing buy for most considering it's 2.5 years old bar a blow out price. I think I'd wait for a MkIII to see if there are any major sensor updates (should be going on the E mount bodies) I suppose they need to throw in some 4K and slow motion video modes to keep it up to date maybe a few extra bits.

There is room for a III version if they decide to make one
Evildogsofdoom

Unread post by Evildogsofdoom »

30th November, B&H is listing the A77ii as in stock, no sign of it being discontinued now.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Problem is it's too expensive for a 2.5 year old camera it was getting pretty cheap then the sensor factory problem etc ramped up the price to over £940 (best UK price) which is as of today what it's selling for. A bit higher than the street price over 2 years ago.

You can get a D7200 for a lot less (cash back etc) or 80d etc. If Sony are to continue the product it needs a heavy price drop to appeal even to current A mount users. It's worth about £700 to me around there not a lot of point paying out for one if a new model comes out next year. Saying that all this Brexit stuff has wiped out the £ so it's far more expensive to buy stuff now. Glad I got most of what I needed before the massive pound slide the second hand market looks to be the place to dig around for deals now.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

It depends on what features you are looking for as much as its pricing in the market. I would rate the cameras capabilities somewhat above the Nikon D7200 and more in line with the Canon 7D Mark 2. And the Canon is still rather more expensive around here than the Sony, even though the Canon has simply an adequate sensor.

When you get to this level of camera you are no longer in the entry level camera with cheap 70 - 210 lens package on special for Christmas type deal. But if you can sell your production rate at $1400 rather than $1200 then why not ?

For most things below say semi pro to pro sports then the A68 is a very decent camera. Slightly under specified in certain areas. but still decent value.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:It depends on what features you are looking for as much as its pricing in the market. I would rate the cameras capabilities somewhat above the Nikon D7200 and more in line with the Canon 7D Mark 2. And the Canon is still rather more expensive around here than the Sony, even though the Canon has simply an adequate sensor.
I was doing some comparison checking of the Sony A900 FF sensor to the Olympus E-M10II m4/3 sensor awhile back, both have Sony sensors. Different generations, but the m4/3 sensor is actually better:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=8925

I also looked at the A77II sensor and mostly it is not as good as the m4/3 sensor either. With later Sony sensors used in cameras such as the A6300 though an A77III would jump ahead again.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Everyone has their own list of priorities and acceptable levels of compromise - personally I would go for the Nikon D 7xxx family over the D 5xxx because the 7's are able to use the older screw lenses, to others this doesn't matter. And yes in terms of convenience a modern M43 with its somewhat smaller and lighter lenses can make more sense than older bulkier gear.

I still have my A850 and as it is a backup and usually shoot at EI 200. That there are better sensors out there is not that important to me, and of course your end use requirement also can be important. If I was to take the A850 out today with a weather forecast of slightly cloudy and temperature to 27C, I would be running the RAW through both DxO 11 and Capture One 10 for comparison and most likely print to A3 to A2 plus.

With those requirements many cameras will produce decent results although side by side comparisons examined closely will give indications of sensor size and performance and the software programming choices the camera companies have made. An example with a new camera in the Fujifilm X-T2, there has been a comment made that the camera does not separate the greens as well as the reds and blues.

Now that is something that a prospective buyer may wish to check with his or her shooting style and lens collection. But it also a comment made in the course of a review of the camera where slight differences will be highlighted and needs to be interpreted as such. You only have to look at some of the silly comments about the sensor performance differences between the A7r II and the A99 II on DPR and the way they are constantly churned out in spite of attempts by some more experienced people to explain the differences.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I agree with what you wrote. You are the one who brought up sensors though:
peterottaway wrote:And the Canon is still rather more expensive around here than the Sony, even though the Canon has simply an adequate sensor.
So that is why I responded with some info concerning sensors. It has been a long time since I have had any concern about sensors for m4/3, APS-C, and FF -- Sony, Canon, Panasonic,etc. sensors. All for the last few years have been pretty darn good, IMO.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Actually I'm not the one to bring up the DxO claims about sensors for the latest M43 cameras.

However I'm now going out to do a tour of the local garden centers to see if I can find a couple of showy Bouganvillaea for the courtyard part of the garden.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Interesting topic which I am following, I guess as its been said we all have our own priorities concerning camera performance, sensors can end up making you paranoid as seen on some other forums.
I currently have and old 10 mp Olympus E-510 with the rather good F/2.8 14-54 zoom, a A-37 with kit lens, a A-6000 with no lens as I use my A mount lenses via adaptor, but no IBIS which is a pain and E mount APS-C lenses are a bone of contention for me, and a Olympus OM-D EM-10 with just one lens, a Panasonic 12-32. System wise both Nikon ( and I like the D5300 because its small and light and DX is enough for me ) and the M/4/3 are the best systems to buy into IMHO. I also think Sony A mount has a far better system choice at reasonable prices as compared to E mount

I just shoot land and river scapes, air plane museums, classic car and bike rallies and other such stationary subjects. So I need a sharp pictures that reveal good detail and pleasing colour, My old Oly 510 wins every time. followed by the EM10, both Sony cameras especially in Jpeg are not as pleasing for colours, yet are supposed to have the best sensors out there. Its how the sensor is used and here I think Nikon gets the best out of a Sony sensor followed by Olympus. They all have there ups and downs and there is no perfect camera but some are better than others but that's subjective depending on what area of performance is important to you, mine Is sharpness and colour followed by DR

As for Fuji, it went all down hill for me after they abandoned EXR.

Bottom line, its a dilemma to which system to spend the money on and which to let go.