Sony a77II discontinued

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony a77II discontinued

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The sensor point is a valid one A77/A77II not much difference of course other reasons might be there to consider the II. If there is a III then the high ISO could be quite a lot better hence appeal more. Even at a knock down price unless you need the snazzy AF and buffer it's not must have least for me. Not a hope I'd pay a little less than £1000 for one so I expect them to gather dust on shelves until Sony work out people won't buy it.

Let's hope a MkIII turns up next year then the II price should drop a lot
As much as I like Fuji the lack of IBIS is a major downside once you factor in the fake ISO ratings and price (nearly £1400) you might as well buy a FF camera at that level. Anyway I've never paid full price for any camera they're massively overpriced and not worth buying until some time has passed ;-)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Who would choose one of these over a Nikon or Canon, especially at the quoted price, Sony are living in a dream world where they think they can out do the big 2,
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Having shot the D7100, D7200, 70D, 80D, and 7D mks I & II I can say that the image quality from the A77II is superior to ALL but the D7200 and then the all-around performance and flexibility of the A77II makes it the better camera.

EXCEPT that is, in very low light with moving subjects.

As for OOC JPEG quality... well; that depends on whether you choose to use in camera profile changes (Picture Effects and Creative Styles) or edit jpegs in post.

This is of course, MY opinion... but when Nikon and Canon shooters handle MY A77II, they AGREE with these assessments.

As for whether there will be an A77III and or an A88; that remains to be seen and will depend in LARGE part on the 6 month sales data from the A99II..................
classiccameras
Viceroy

Good observations CHOLLY, superior IQ or not its their market share on a world stage, My A6000 delivers superb IQ ( if you can afford the right lens ) but the Jpeg colours are not to my liking even after tweaking the default settings, I much prefer my Olympus for Jpegs.

When I lived in Canikon land I preferred Canon colours to Nikon, although my old D-80 had superb colour rendition, ( the D-90 that followed didn't in my opinion ), but I think they went down hill after that re colour. Same with my old Canon 450-D, again superb colours which carried on into the 500-D and 550-D, but IMHO Jpeg colours really did not improve much if at all as pixel counts increased.
I never use Default Jpegs on any of my cameras, they are all tweaked in one way or another and I still PP if needed.

A lot depends on how much Sony are prepared to continue with large body A mount when their A-7 FE cameras are so good and popular, however, their price is beyond my budget and the lenses are crazy. I just cannot see Sony having 3 fingers in the pie so to speak and one is going to eventually fall by the way side, they won't survive with 3 systems, 2 may be.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

2 systems; A mount and E mount.

And with the A99II, they have integrated the best features (and electronics) from both into one camera.

By re-using the A77 body for the A99II they have cut manufacturing costs as well.

This makes them MORE competitive... and because the ranks of Sony users has increased due to the success of it's mirrorless offerings, expect people to try the A mount due to it's superior specification/price point ratio.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Which E mount APS-C or FF, or both, even though certain aspects of both are not compatible
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

There are full frame E mount cameras just like there are full frame A mount cameras. The lens mounts don't change due to sensor size... but the lenses do.

And with Sony cameras and lenses, you can use full frame and APS-C designated lenses on both full frame and APS-C sensor cameras. Interchangeably.

I'd LOVE to see sales figures for 2015 and 2016. I'll bet Sony is a close second in unit sales to Canon....
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

The only difference is as far as I can tell is the actual camera body.Excluding of course the actual sensor unit. I am rather confused as to what point classiccamera is attempting to make.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I just wondered if one of the Sony Systems E mount APS-C such as the NEX/A6XXXX, E mount FF or either A mount APS-C or A mount FF, is going to survive, some photo writer on another forum felt Sony are running too many alternatives and felt one of them won't survive in a diminishing market. Sony sales world wide over all model types could well be the No 1, but in DSLR sales they are trailing Canon & Nikon by quite a margin so I read, but even they are experiencing a big fall in DSLR sales. Sony may have to consolidate its camera operation to keep its head above water in the ICL market
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

???
bfitzgerald

Evidently there was a high demand for A99II bodies so they had to ramp up production to meet that. (just what I read in an article)
A77II is end of life of should be this year I would expect a new body so little point in looking at one unless it's at a bargain price and currently at about £900 it's overpriced for it's age.

I read another article predicting that camera sales will continue to decline over the next 5 years, if that is correct it would be quite likely some more makers will be kicked to the curb. Samsung completely screwed up their camera division due to lack of knowledge in the area..and that's despite deep pockets. I'm still thinking long term Olympus and Panasonic might have to merge in some way or form. Sony will probably keep A mount "ticking" over yet the problem is they are not trying to expand it (a few new lenses or more bodies would help)

I don't intend on changing mounts again so whatever happens I'll stick around.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Where do you see Canikon heading, I thought the Canon EOS M5 was a brave step, and I cannot see Sony running 2 mounts for ever.

It would make sense for Olympus and Panasonic to merge, both are M4/3 formats. Panasonic are big enough to buy up Olympus or at least Olympus optical, but with Sony being the largest share holder there may be some problems.
bfitzgerald

Canon are a bit different they have fingers in other pies in particular the office area and last time I looked over half their profit comes from that division which has nothing to do with camera sales. Nikon managed to pick up a bit end of last year but sales are down. What they are doing is trying to get more profit with higher prices it's not sales driven people are buying less stuff be it bodies/lenses/accessories. Furthermore the China flash makers have really attacked the OEM's they offer models far cheaper that are near enough as good as the premium models. I'd not buy an OEM flash again or a Metz I'm converted now pay less get almost as much.

Damn shame someone in China doesn't have a complete system I'd dump everything in a heartbeat if it were any good.
They'll probably weather it out. Oly has medical interests not really sure what Sony will do with their share it's hard to see two makers on micro 4/3 long term. As for the rest Pentax/Fuji will tick along probably as will A mount with more attention to E mount. I've nothing on my must buy list and I wouldn't have regardless of mount. I just have most of the stuff I need and the bodies are up to what I want them for. Other than burning cash not really much point lashing out new A99II looks nice enough can't justify the price at this time.

There is still money to be made in cameras, just not as much and with less sales. Same applies to lens makers too. It's a combination of factors high growth at the film transition era which was not sustainable. Then the camera phones got a lot better and the camera makers did very little to counter than particularly at the consumer end of the market. Funny thing is there is a bit of an "indie" film revival youngsters playing around with it that have never used it before. I said years ago it would survive as a niche format where most predicted a total death. Doesn't really matter to me what happens with the industry bar the high prices which I won't pay bargain shopping is the way to go ;-)
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

classiccameras wrote:Where do you see Canikon heading, I thought the Canon EOS M5 was a brave step, and I cannot see Sony running 2 mounts for ever.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep in mind that Sony has run 2 mounts since 2010 and sales of the A99II are ABOVE expectations.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I suspect that at the Pro end of the A mount cameras it will be a small niche market even if sales are above expectation, I hope it continues for Sony's sake and its loyal users, not for me though, I'm going smaller and lighter and that may not be Sony.