Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Unread post by classiccameras »

I went down the ILC route with a A6000 and used my old A mount lenses via an adaptor, it was crazy, poor balance, heavy, large and it removed the whole object of an ILC. Some sites even said with some big E mount lenses, the camera looked like a credit card glued to the end of a beer can. I sold the lot and stayed with my A mount and run my EM-10 when I need small and light.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

bfitzgerald wrote:When I say PJ photojournalist that means press snapper too and yes they use flash constantly. To assume anyone who works as press just takes sports shots is a little off the mark in fact the sports stuff is niche compared to the other shots.

BTW there is one thing the camera industry should do but has not and that is allow direct use of lithium cells 2 x 18650's will do though shorter ones possibly. That's the only way you're going to get real endurance on battery life. Too much cash to make selling overpriced OEM cells using off the shelf batteries in a plastic case. It's a massive rip off of the highest order
If I remember your quote correctly... weren't you concerned about a flash being able to keep up with 20 frames per second? :?:

Again... what photojournalist... sports or otherwise... shoots flash when they are doing bursts?

BTW, have you seen some of the new high power LEDs? THEY could handle fast bursts because they can be set to constant/continuous illumination.

Problem solved. :wink:
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

BTW, I think a LOT of professional photojournalists will be moving to Sony because of this camera. The feature set, price point, and performance will be irresistible. And make NO mistake; this camera is aimed SQUARELY at the photojournalist and sports photographer market.

Those people are more into RESULTS than they are brands. I know guys who have flipped between Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Nikon, and Canon, buying the gear that works best for their particular situation.

Well, Sony's A9 is going to fit the bill for a LOT of people in that line of work... watch. 8)
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Photo journalists probably don't need 20fps my point was that it's not just sports shooters there are other jobs in that area. Robustness is a factor these people abuse their gear quite a bit bodies and lenses a very rough life. I raise the flash area two reasons ie compatibility yes you can shove any flash on the MIS but it's not dedicated. The plastic shoe is also a problem I've no idea why they have not made a metal one.

LED's are fine I often use a torch for some shooting and I have a lot of them (I test torches for some makers) LED panels also pretty good for some tasks PJ's are not going to carry them around for that type of work so they rely on fill flash a lot.

I wouldn't replace my A mount stuff with an ILC body if I want small I take a smaller body. It's a shame the line-up is so limited there is room for a smaller body in there and something else too. I'd be really surprised if Sony make any big inroads into the market place at least for still shooters they might grab some mixed shooters who do video and stills. I'm wondering why they didn't make a larger body for this type of shooting integrated grip etc it makes more sense than the similar smaller E mount bodies. That's what shooters who do this want they don't really need small solid and tough lots of grip yes small no
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Aye, we will see how things evolve. Looking at a couple of the videos available through Sonyalpharumors, the combination of A9 with that 100-400 did not look bad. Quite a nifty lens to look at and not too heavy looking. If you can manage with the kind of min. depth of field this lens can produce at f4-5.6 then it can be quire versatile for sports. After all, with the A9's ISO performance you can up that quite a bit to get the shutter speed required. Also, with that 24Mp quality sensor there is room for cropping of the final image even if a highish ISO has been used. I can imagine that some of the photographers can manage with that and perhaps one of the A7s with a wider lens. Could be quite a weight gain compared with Nik/Can gear. What about the paparazzi?
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

bfitzgerald wrote:Photo journalists probably don't need 20fps my point was that it's not just sports shooters there are other jobs in that area. Robustness is a factor these people abuse their gear quite a bit bodies and lenses a very rough life. I raise the flash area two reasons ie compatibility yes you can shove any flash on the MIS but it's not dedicated. The plastic shoe is also a problem I've no idea why they have not made a metal one.

LED's are fine I often use a torch for some shooting and I have a lot of them (I test torches for some makers) LED panels also pretty good for some tasks PJ's are not going to carry them around for that type of work so they rely on fill flash a lot.

I wouldn't replace my A mount stuff with an ILC body if I want small I take a smaller body. It's a shame the line-up is so limited there is room for a smaller body in there and something else too. I'd be really surprised if Sony make any big inroads into the market place at least for still shooters they might grab some mixed shooters who do video and stills. I'm wondering why they didn't make a larger body for this type of shooting integrated grip etc it makes more sense than the similar smaller E mount bodies. That's what shooters who do this want they don't really need small solid and tough lots of grip yes small no
This is primarily a SPORTS camera that can also do other things well. Photojournalists will LOVE it. I mean SERIOUSLY; compare the price of a D5 or 1DXII then compare the features and performance of the A9 to both and canikon comes out on the losing end.

This camera isn't THAT much more expensive than the 5DIV, and it COMPLETELY blows that thing away in EVERY respect. :mrgreen:

I am a really big guy with large hands. The A7RII did NOT work for me. And I prefer the larger size and feel of the A99 over the A77/77II body which the new A99II is based on.

But I will live it, just like I live with my 77's. 8)

Would I buy the A9? If my business was geared towards sports and photojournalism then YES! Emphatically!! Do I think all the white and black lenses will be replaced by cream in the near future? NO. But enough will start to make that switch and that's a GOOD thing for those of us who use other Sony products. ;)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Many pro photographers these days just rent the gear,
bfitzgerald

The most interesting thing is the dual dials and second dial under the left hand one. Looks like they've started to go back to Minolta thinking..took long enough.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I may be one of those who are tending towards the " elderly gentlemen " status these days. But I am quite happy to cart around a Nikon F6 or the Canon EOS 1v when required. And for my basic setup with the 16-35 / 4, 24-70 / 4 and 70-200 /4 together with the 21,35 and 90 when they are more suitable, the A9 sized camera is very good. I can even comfortable use a 300 /4 or 70-300 zoom but I rarely use the 70-400 these days let alone any of the 400,500,600 exotics or the 200-500 /5.6.

I just don't see the A9 size and design as being suitable for a general purpose pro body.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

bfitzgerald wrote:The most interesting thing is the dual dials and second dial under the left hand one. Looks like they've started to go back to Minolta thinking..took long enough.
During the press event they made a REALLY big deal about how Sony "Listened to their customers" and addressed the wants and wishes most expressed for the A7XXX line up.

More lenses, bigger battery with longer life, IBIS, a joy stick, movement of the movie button, a dedicated AF-on button on the back, a LAN port AND a PC sync port, plus the dedicated drive mode dial. AND they further streamlined the menu system, included a "my menu" option that lets you put together your favorite menu items in one register, distortion free silent (electronic) shutter and 4K without the overheating problem.

I think Sony has been working hard to keep it's consumers happy... :wink:
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

For those of you not built as Tarzan or superman the A9 looks attractive. Just look at the comparison of size here
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-a9-i ... -back-now/
The Canon 1D is over 1.5 Kg and the Nikon 1.4 Kg whereas the A9 is 673g or less than half the weight.
I imagine that the CAN/NIK managements are seriously worried about the future unless they can compete through miniaturisation of their products.
"Many pro photographers these days just rent the gear," - Interesting point by classiccameras. So CAN/NIK users can rent an A9 with a lens or two to try it out and if they like it purchase what they require if they have frequent use.
Won't predict anything, but I think that Sony are holding the strong cards just now. Nikon is particularly exposed, not being an electronics company and dependent on outsourcing sensors.
Sony will have determined likely demand and adjusted their production schedules accordingly. They are playing a long game. They are here to stay and cover all users now. There will be more lenses for FE for sure.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Other than the impressive numbers (and lots of footnotes) what I find as a game changer is
a) Sony introduced the camera as "Professional"
b) Sony is "expanding" the Pro support program, adding support for Canada and opening two walk-in centers in the USA (New York and Los Angeles)
Why all this ring a bell? because there is no mayor sport event in the USA (no Olympics or FIFA world cup) in the near horizon, meaning, it is not seasonal service.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classiccameras
Viceroy

I heard rumours from a Nikon rep in my local store that Nikon might team up with Mitsubishi, who have made sensors and other components for Nikon, so there is some history there that could develop.

Canon in a way are a 'Maverick' company with most things made in house. They are also quite a conservative company often saying it it aint broke don't fix it and joining the pixel race if only to stay with the rival brands sales proms was pointless. They were always against the pixel race but we can see they have succumbed and jointed the race.

It was only a few years ago that Nikon said they could see no advantage in higher counts than 12mp and future research should be more about the cameras processor, that never lasted either.

I suspect that Sony at least initially will not like their cameras rented out, as its lost sales, they would have to agree to it, plus the abuse rented gear some times suffers.

Love or hate a particular brand of camera for whatever reasons is fine, its our choice but I would hate to see a brand go under like Samsung has, its a bad day for the industry when that happens.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

The NX-1 was a FANTASTIC camera too... well before it's time in terms of performance and specification. :(

Not enough lenses... but if Samsung had stuck with it, I'm sure there would be a decent selection by now.
Last edited by CHOLLY on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald

Samsung blew it big time to put it very mildly. No staying power you have to be in this game for the long term, they bailed. I feel a bit sad for those who invested in the system.
The company has a lot of resources so it's a mystery why they dropped their entire camera line. I think 1 or 2 other makers will also quit at some point there are not enough buyers to support them. As makers ramp prices even higher sales will continue to deline.
As per my first comment I think the A99II is a better bet for most it's not cheap but I'd doubt anyone would need more