Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Unread post by classiccameras »

Never liked the colours on my A-37, I tried every tweak there is but it was never to my liking. My old Olympus E-510 is probably the best out of camera colours and that was with the Panasonic sensor. Later M/4/3 Oly's in my view still exhibit great colours but not quite as good as the older E series cameras, and guess what, the M/4/3 Oly's use Sony sensors. The Sony sensors are class leading in most parameters but I would argue their colours are not as nice. Nikon who use Sony Sensors have over the last 18 Months been fitting Toshiba sensors to certain models.
I find Canon colours are excellent for landscapes, but that's just my opinion.

Agree about Canon with their incremental updates, Nikon are worse, but it seems its a new model with a minor tweak every 6 Months, but I guess that's more to do with moving boxes off shelves to make money. Canon and Nikon have been and still are very conservative camera manufacturers, Canon won't change any thing unless its worth changing, so big leaps in technology are not Canon's way of doing things, they stuck with 18 mp for years ( still the best in my opinion ) but they succumbed to the pixel race because they didn't want to be seen trailing the competition, again its all about market sales and keeping up in a declining industry.
Most makes of camera have their signature colour and the Canadian lab who ran a 'Jpeg shoot out' on You Tube is well worth watching, I was surprised at the results.

I have to admire Fuji, they set out to simulate their old film colours, such as Velvia, Astia, and Provia and they more or less got it right,
That's one reason I have kept my old Fuji X10. Pity they dropped the EXR on later models

Kodak processed paid slide film is no longer available such as Kodachrome 25 & 64, but I'm not sure if Ektachrome E6 processing is still available. Fuji E6 is still available and they are reporting increase in sales across their whole range including Velvia.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Nikon has been using Sony sensors for years. And those Toshiba sensors actually ARE Sony sensors manufactured by Toshiba after #1 the Earthquake and #2 Tsunami that damaged Sony's own manufacturing facilities.

Toshiba was contracted BY Sony to fill the requests for product while it rebuilt and came back on line.

I saw this in a couple of different articles about Sony sensors... you can look it up if you like.

BTW, "Color" is more a function of lenses and processing than Sensors. For example, the EXACT same sensor found in a Sony and Nikon camera will record identically, but the processors will render different images.
Last edited by CHOLLY on Wed May 24, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Sounds about right to me, thanks for the info.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Sony a9: more speed, less dynamic range

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/72664 ... amic-range

It's immediately obvious the a9 is not ISO-invariant. This means the camera is adding a fair amount of read noise that results in noisy shadows, limiting dynamic range at base ISO. That's why, for the same focal plane exposure, performing analog amplification by increasing ISO in-camera gets you a cleaner image than performing that amplification (or brightening) in post-processing.

It's not the typical performance we've come to expect from Sony sensors and we suspect the higher readout speed is leading to greater noise. In other words, it appears this sensor was likely optimized for speed at the expense of low ISO dynamic range.

Just a trade-off that many people will not care about, IMO.
They have an update:

Sony a9: Studio analysis confirms limited dynamic range, solid high ISO

https://www.dpreview.com/news/006711289 ... -limted-dr
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

IF I read their tests correctly, then the A9 does better than the IDXII in nearly every category and as good as the D5 in most while almost as good in the rest.

At $1500 and $2000 less than those competitors respectively, I'd say that is pretty good performance.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I was at Bic Camera today in Japan (been awhile since I stopped in to a camera store) and they had an A9 sitting out with 24-70mm f2.8 attached and no one looking at it. I played with it awhile and took a couple of photos. No one posts on this forum anymore though so I won't go to the trouble of writing anything more or posting any photos.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bakubo wrote:I was at Bic Camera today in Japan (been awhile since I stopped in to a camera store) and they had an A9 sitting out with 24-70mm f2.8 attached and no one looking at it. I played with it awhile and took a couple of photos. No one posts on this forum anymore though so I won't go to the trouble of writing anything more or posting any photos.
Well, if you want to share with us, you can post a link to your website, or to a share-folder, Dropbox-like...
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I read the reviews of the A9 with interest and saw the awesome performance of this camera in the videos. I was tempted to invest in an A6300 to replace my NEX-6 and relegate my A6000 to support camera status.
Put the NEX-6 up for sale with a minimum price of £175.00 delivered UK. Not a single bid. This is still a good camera with poor software.
I then looked at some of the old images taken with the NEX-6 fitted with 16-50 pancake and 55-210 zoom and was impressed by the quality at 100% in PS.
There comes a time when enough is enough as far as progress is concerned. Actually what I have with A6000/NEX-6/NEX-5N and A58 as cameras and E-mount 10-18/16-50/55-110 lenses as well as Sony 18-250 Tamron 10-24/18-270 and 70-300 latest models will do me for essentially Alamy work. The A-mount lenses perform well on A6000 through LA-EA2. It is amazing what can be done with this equipment using LR/PS Cloud processing. Don't see any need to replace my RX100M3 either.
Sorry Sony, but no more spend until the current gear is worn out.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Wow, you have the whole Sony range almost covered, I just did the opposite, sold most of my Sony kit and got a Lumix Bridge camera, my poor old shoulders had been abused long enough with a bag full of bodies and lenses and I was getting neck problems. The Bridge with the Leica 25-600 does all I want. As I'm only a happy snapper, not a pro or even a camera club competitor
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Wow, you have the whole Sony range almost covered, I just did the opposite, sold most of my Sony kit and got a Lumix Bridge camera, my poor old shoulders had been abused long enough with a bag full of bodies and lenses and I was getting neck problems. The Bridge with the Leica 25-600 does all I want. As I'm only a happy snapper, not a pro or even a camera club competitor
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300?
classiccameras
Viceroy

DMC-FZ330.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:DMC-FZ330.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 = DMC-FZ330. Different parts of the world get different names.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Who cares, I like it whatever name it has. This site is almost dead, where has every one gone.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Who cares, I like it whatever name it has. This site is almost dead, where has every one gone.
I suggest you start a thread. Write something interesting and maybe people will reply.
classiccameras
Viceroy

What is Sony's road map for cameras and lenses, can they sustain 2 different mounts and expensive bridge cameras, not to mention the high end and expensive compacts, will A mount survive but only at the expensive pro end, Are the 3rd party lens manufacturers holding off until a clear map is in view or is it because of the general global decline, lots of questions?