A 70-400mm sample for you

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: A 70-400mm sample for you

Unread post by mikeriach »

[quote="David Kilpatrick Also, I won't have access to the 70-400mm for another six months - when they release the final version.

David[/quote]

I take it you are suggesting a spring release?
Any idea of cost? Similar to the C 100-400 or N 80-400?

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

mikeriach wrote:[quote="David Kilpatrick Also, I won't have access to the 70-400mm for another six months - when they release the final version.

David
I take it you are suggesting a spring release?
Any idea of cost? Similar to the C 100-400 or N 80-400?

Mike[/quote]

They are saying Jan release, I suspect that means closer to Spring availability. The price will be in four figures UK, they have got a provisional figure but it may change a lot between now and January. After all, my chosen bank suddenly became worth nothing last week and ended up being part of Lloyds TSB. Anything can happen to prices this winter, and probably will.

David
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Unread post by Buttoneer »

If the dollar falls again, this one will be worth a weekend in New York and a trip to B&H.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Both main competitors equivalents are a smidge under £1k at Warehouse Express so I'd expect similar for the Sony. Admittedly it's a fair jump from the 70-300G in cost, weight and size but I find that when shooting aircraft, I work better with "substantial" lens rather than a compact one. The extra mass seems to smooth my poor panning technique!

This lens and the A700 are probably the real interest for me continuing with Sony line so I'm very interested in the launch.
The only purchase I've made recently is a Tamron 70-300 to replace my old Mk1 version which sadly passed away after giving good service. I'm still soldiering on with a pair of A100s till I can convince myself to upgrade.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

mikeriach wrote:The only purchase I've made recently is a Tamron 70-300 to replace my old Mk1 version which sadly passed away after giving good service. I'm still soldiering on with a pair of A100s till I can convince myself to upgrade.

Mike
Hi Mike, :)
I happen to own the A100 at the moment also, would you elaborate on your new purchase, Tamron 70-300mm, please? Are you happy with the lens' performance and what sort of subjects do you usually shoot with it?

Thanks,
Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

aster wrote:
mikeriach wrote:The only purchase I've made recently is a Tamron 70-300 to replace my old Mk1 version which sadly passed away after giving good service. I'm still soldiering on with a pair of A100s till I can convince myself to upgrade.

Mike
Hi Mike, :)
I happen to own the A100 at the moment also, would you elaborate on your new purchase, Tamron 70-300mm, please? Are you happy with the lens' performance and what sort of subjects do you usually shoot with it?

Thanks,
Yildiz
Congratulations with your new degree Yildiz. :D
As for what Mike shoots, well he gave us a hint with his avatar picture. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Dr.Harout! :D

That's what I was afraid of! I have no preparations whatsoever for the fast-approaching titles l'll be acquiring eventually... :D ..the grand caliph...or the ambassodor and all those that require grandure...totally unprepared, that I am!

Mike shoots only birds then? Am I to assume he shoots birds and birds-in-flight with his Tamron 70-300? If so, then I would also like to know if this lens is fast and sharp enough for this particular task... :)

Yildiz
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Tamron 70-300

Gents

I usually use it to shoot aircraft and occasionally wildlife.
It is a reasonable lens (excellent value) with good overall performance as several others have mentioned here.
The biggest drawback for me is relatively slowish focusing compared to the Minolta 100-300.
It is fine for static or slow moving subjects.
Fast movers are fairly good but if it looses focus (more common at the 300 end) it won't find it again before the moment is lost. The 100-300 is better.
It occasionally looses focus then refuses to retry unless I zoom back or move the focus spot.
Image quality is quite good for a budget lens.
I'm really after a big step up to either the 70-300G or 70-400G for the future.

Mike
DSC03787a.jpg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I too am thinking (once in a while) which one should I pick, 70-300 or 70-400? Don't know yet, probably the former so to economize for the A900. Let's see.

By the way, a beautiful shot. I like shooting planes. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr