Close to home in Scotland (A900) - updated

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
braeside
Grand Caliph

Re: Close to home in Scotland (A900) - updated

Unread post by braeside »

Yes, I do recall the CA on the 24-85mm even with the KM5D. I have checked a few of my wide angle shots on the Tamron 17-35 which were shot at reasonably small apertures on the A900 for signs of blurring at one side, but so far all seem fine, I suppose it may be that I have a lens with some defect that corrects for a non parallel sensor!

I always suspected that some of my A700 shots were worse on one edge, but was not sure if it was lens or sensor problems. I must say I am very impressed by the Tamron 17-35mm, a joy to use and doesn't suffer from the amount of Red/Green CA that the Sony DT 11-18mm had at 11mm. I do notice a small amount of purple fringing on high contrast edges however.
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You may have a perfectly aligned camera, or lens. There will always be small variations and the very smallest become visible with the A900.

I may check my A900 more closely for alignment but the 35-200mm, which has a rotating front group, stays slightly softer at the right side - with a rotating group, you could reasonably expect any lens decentering to shift round the pic, and it does not. The degree of difference I am talking about would hardly be noticed by anyone not trying to analyse the images technically. I used the 17-35 for the A2 reproduction in Photoworld and the CZ 16-35 is going to have to be remarkable to persuade me I need it!

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Thanks David, I was going to comment on the Photoworld A2 photo that seemed excellent, my feelings towards the forthcoming 16-35 are similar, I just don't think I need it given the results from the 17-35. PTlens now supports the A900 and automatically only selects lenses that have been calibrated for FF. The Tamron 17-35 is already calibrated and I tried PTlens on some of my shots and it works very nicely, taking out the barrel distortion. There is very little CA to remove, but purple fringe is still a slight problem against bright skies.
David
braeside
Grand Caliph

David,the poster on DPR who thought his 24-105mm was better than his CZ 24-70mm, has now tested more thoroughly and has shown that clearly the Zeiss wins at the edges by a mile.

http://www.dboyd.com/Photos_08/3lenscomp/3Lens_test.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I thought his judgment was too rapid. You could get a good impression from some shots. I've just ordered a s/h RS 28-105mm to try out (keep it if it works well, sell it if not). I begin to think that the best way to tackle the A900 is to get hold of as many lenses as possible and try them.

David