As a beginning

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

As a beginning

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Armenia is a very very very old country, and the capital Yerevan is quite old too, in fact older than Rome by one year.
So as a beginning let's begin a journey with history:

1- Biblical Ararat

2- Ceremony hall of Erebuni fortress which (the City) was built a year before Rome was

3- A monument erected for the 1700th anniversary for the adoption of Christianity in Armenia (301 AD) and proclaiming as state religion, thus becoming the first Christian nation

Hope you like them. :?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: As a beginning

Unread post by Javelin »

Is ararat within Armenia ? It's alwasy intersting to see new places and learn a little about them
Dr. Harout

Javelin wrote:Is ararat within Armenia ?
Not in present Armenia, unfortunately.

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Dr. Haroout, :D

I like them, infact I believe that on a day when the sky is a bright blue and the air is free of a grey mist -if you get the chance and the time of course- you can shoot even more attractive and striking frames of the Mount Ararat. It is a very beautiful old volcano and has lots of changing moody expressions within the course of a single day at times. I hope I can get a chance to shoot it some time myself. I was too young when we visited the area and have no photos of my own of this beauty.

The fortress is also very interesting, I would love to see more of it or the likes of it in the area...

Would love to see lots more of your whereabouts and traditions too. Thanks for sharing..

Yildiz
Dr. Harout

Thanks Yildiz (aster in Latin).
i've been on your side of the mount, but frankly the view differs.
As for the fortress, it is from the same people and time as you have it in Van.
I'll put other pictures too and thanks for the kind words.
:D

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Armenian stonework is worthy of studying with its unique characteristics. The ones I saw closely had me looking at them for long times trying to understand what they may have conveyed to the people of that particular period. Always having an enigmatic quality ...

:D I would have guessed that being a medical doctor who studied Latin terminology and being familiar with Turkish a little perhaps, you would uncover what my name stood for in no time at all !! You're very observative...I'm afraid I'm not as good with Armenian names, except for the Harry Daniels that David Kilpatrick nicely converted your name to the other day... :D I hope to be better in the future.

Looking forward to all that you plan to upload.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I like number 1 especially - I look forward to a sunny day version.

Congratulations on becoming a Grand Caliph! It sounds as if some fancy new head-wear is called for :)

From a humble acolyte.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

aster wrote: ...and being familiar with Turkish
Oh yes I am, and quite well I would say.
And thanks again Yildiz and Birma :D

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Dr. Harout wrote:
aster wrote: ...and being familiar with Turkish
Oh yes I am, and quite well I would say.
It seems we can soon open a turkish subforum, arkadaşlar! :mrgreen:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Oh my Goodness! Indeed, this is coming as a sweet surprise...Teşekkürler arkadaşlar (Thanks friends)

Almost all of you are well-founded with the Anatolian qualities and language one way or an other! And may be I should post my messages in both English and Turkish languages and you can choose which one to read through... :D This is very humbling...

Thank you all for your good-natured, cheerful responses, I hope I can get more familiar with the rest of the forum members' languages as well.

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here's a goatherd on Kavak mountain south-west of Mugla, Minolta Dimage A2, and a whole mass of telephone and power lines removed from the sky:

I don't know any Turkish but learned a few traditional saz chops from a music teacher in Bodrum, in return for showing one his guitar pupils a Scottish tune on guitar. I've got a good CD of Anatolian folk tunes, mainly saz, and one Turkish folk guitar CD by Mustapha Ozkent which I like more every time I hear it. I also have a very nice looking dilli kaval but it won't play in tune with other instruments. My saz is a cheap one and the neck has bent :-)

There is a really good photo festival in Turkey which I get invited to, but I have never had the time to go. My one ambition in life (or in retirement?) would be to travel through all the countries of Europe, Asia Minor and beyond, taking photographs and learning traditional music. The Armenian duduk is not on the menu - like the Indian sitar, it is a virtuoso instrument which requires complete immersion in the tradition for many years - but it's one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi :D

First and foremost, my apologies to Dr. Harout for stealing his show...but I've got to admit that it was his knowledge of Turkish and Turkey that started all this and no doubt the responders are all with good-intentions adding colourful new dimensions to this thread. And I believe Armenians and Turkish have very similar traditions and life-styles to some extent.

Thomas and David;
The photos you uploaded are beautiful, right from the heart of Anatolia where people are still honest and down to earth. Unfortunately, the phone and power lines issue is one of the next-in-line-to-get-rid-of in a long list of things-to-do by the government. I hope you realize that dream journey of multi-interests David, and there would be enough material of music and photos afterwards to start a true exhibition too. I heard your playing on your other website the other day and you really do the instruments proud! :) Maybe a concert with all these Turkish and Armenian folk instruments to take place after that long trip too...who knows?

Have to admit, goats make very cute photo subjects where and whenever they make their entry...
Thanks for sharing
Yildiz