Artisanat

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Artisanat

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

yesterday I posted the same under the subject 'Vernissage', the post, as well as others, got lost (explained by DK here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... f=31&t=862) so I am reposting them but under a different name. reason: 'Vernissage' is a name given by the public here, the real 'Vernissage' is in France... But if the public admits it as 'Vernissage' then it is it.
For example, we have a district in Yerevan, at the South West end of the capital and named "South-West District". In Armenian language that gets a bit long, and since it is located in a bit remote site the public called it... 'Bangladesh' (too far from us), and now even on public transport you'll see the inscription likewise.

Vernissage is at the heart of the capital, a vast open air place where people exhibit-sell their works (work of art). You could find paintings, wooden works, carvings on wood, carvings on stone, 'crochets', rugs, carpets (BTW this is an Armenian word), antiquities, oldies etc., even there is a section quite similar to the French 'marche aux puces'. You could also see old cameras, telescopes, binoculars and so forth (to see a picture of the cameras look in the Eye-Spy section here: http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... f=15&t=871

So here we go shot at the 'Vernissage'

These are all carved on wood.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Artisanat

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Now we know where Sony could come for their next carved wooden mock-up lens - it would be elaborately ornamented, but very well made!

David
Dr. Harout

David Kilpatrick wrote:Now we know where Sony could come for their next carved wooden mock-up lens - it would be elaborately ornamented, but very well made!

David
:lol: :lol:

Here's another one which I specially kept for you. In fact 2. Hope you like them.

And these are backgammon and chess boards

Flickr
Dr. Harout

One more shot if you don't mind.

Unfortunately there aren't many ladies here in this forum, and from the active ones I can only recall Yildiz (aster) and Shirley.
This potteries might interest them, and if yes then am glad to show this picture.

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Dr. Harout, :)

The matter of the fact is all of the images are good, it really doesn't matter about the genre. I admired every item displayed at the Artisanat.
For those who don't know, 'sanat' means 'art' in Turkish. So what the doctor actually wrote as the title means 'artart' to me.

Dr. Harout, is 'sanat' a common word for both Armanian and Turkish or is this a cute gesture of yours? I've been meaning to ask all day...
As for the pottery, the fact that they are true handcrafts with very earthen colours gives warmth and a homely quality. I can imagine serving delicious desserts and beverages in them either cold or hot.

I'm curious about the drawings and shapes on them, are these derived from some pre-historical wall drawings. The figures are used repeatedly on each item with no alterations, so maybe there's a meaning for each figure?

Thanks for sharing, I almost feel like I have visited your weekly art market place.. :D
Yildiz
Dr. Harout

aster wrote:Hi Dr. Harout, :)

The matter of the fact is all of the images are good, it really doesn't matter about the genre. I admired every item displayed at the Artisanat.
For those who don't know, 'sanat' means 'art' in Turkish. So what the doctor actually wrote as the title means 'artart' to me.

Dr. Harout, is 'sanat' a common word for both Armanian and Turkish or is this a cute gesture of yours? I've been meaning to ask all day...
As for the pottery, the fact that they are true handcrafts with very earthen colours gives warmth and a homely quality. I can imagine serving delicious desserts and beverages in them either cold or hot.

I'm curious about the drawings and shapes on them, are these derived from some pre-historical wall drawings. The figures are used repeatedly on each item with no alterations, so maybe there's a meaning for each figure?

Thanks for sharing, I almost feel like I have visited your weekly art market place.. :D
Yildiz
Artisanat derives from French (artisan = craftsman). 'Sanat' or 'Sanaat' has nothing to do with the ending of the word in 'Artisanat' (sorry to disappoint you).
As for the shapes, you are quite right, these are from ancient and prehistoric wall paintings/drawings.
And thank you very much for your kind words Yildiz.

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I see.

Well, we also use that word for craftsman as derived from French but spell it 'artizan' much like it actually sounds in French.

Thanks for cllearing this out.

Yildiz
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

aster wrote:I see.
Well, we also use that word for craftsman as derived from French but spell it 'artizan' much like it actually sounds in French.
Yildiz
Actually, artisan/artisanat or artesano/artesanía (spanish) come from the Latin artesanus, and this from the latin ars; artis
don't we use tailor/tailoring in English for craftsman?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

those backgammon and chessboard look awesome, I play both really badly but I still love to play.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

pakodominguez wrote:
aster wrote:I see.
Yildiz
Actually, artisan/artisanat or artesano/artesanía (spanish) come from the Latin artesanus, and this from the latin ars; artis
don't we use tailor/tailoring in English for craftsman?
Tailor/tailoring is only for making suits of clothing for men. We use craftsman, crafts, artisan, arts & crafts, handiwork, work - but for fairs, typically 'crafts fair' would be the equivalent. When everything is amateur, or not for sale, in the UK it is called a 'show' or 'exhibition'; when it is amateur, for charity, it may be called a 'sale of work' and that often includes knitting, baking, jams, wines. 'Art fair' on its own (without crafts) means paintings almost to the exclusion of other types of art, but can include photography and photo reproductions of paintings.

What we are lacking is much regional or ethnic craft work - any sort of tradition. You'll find treen (carved wooden spoons) in Wales, jet jewellery in Whitby, things made using reeds in Norfolk but nothing like the sort of national or local traditions of decoration shown in Dr Harout's pictures.

David
Dr. Harout

Some more shots.

Stone carvings

For drinks

Pictures from flower petals (as the inscription says) and small rugs at the background

Flickr