APS-C Primes

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

Would you buy an APS-C-only prime lens?

Yes.
21%
No.
59%
Maybe.
18%
I already own one!
3%

Total votes: 39

Brad Smith
Acolyte

Re: APS-C Primes

Unread post by Brad Smith »

I would have loved the A300 to come with a prime when I bought it but 99% of entry level DSLR buyers would prefer the zoom. You can't take away something they had on their P&Ss.
Mike
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike »

I am only buying FF lenses despite the fact that I currently have a A350. It is only a matter of time till I get a FF camera body and I want them all to work. IMHO if the camera body cost more than the lens you are using you have miss allocated your money. Obviously there are a few exceptions as is the case if you currently need FF resolution, five frames a second, low ISO performance, etc. But history shows the glass is where to invest the money. The laws of physics are not changing but the current state of electronics production is constantly improving. I see an a900 equivalent costing $500 in five years but a SAL-135F18Z costing as much as it does now.

The reason that the number of mega pixels (MP)is compared is because it's easily quantifiable while optics quality is hard to put a handle on. If you shop based on MG you tend to end up with high resolution fuzzy pictures. I wish I had a dollar for every time my Sony DSC-F717 with only 5 MP outperformed a 8-10 MP camera with poor optics.

It's the same reason LCD TVs are advertised by resolution (when glare, refresh rate and contrast are much more important) and surround sound systems are advertised by Audio output power (when you should be focusing on audio distortion) .

The reason that cameras kits have a zoom is that most people buy a camera and use it for one vacation, maybe a prom and then it sits in the closet. They want to pick it up and use it, God forbid you should have to read the instructions!

Mike
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Mike wrote:I am only buying FF lenses despite the fact that I currently have a A350. It is only a matter of time till I get a FF camera body and I want them all to work. IMHO if the camera body cost more than the lens you are using you have miss allocated your money. Obviously there are a few exceptions as is the case if you currently need FF resolution, five frames a second, low ISO performance, etc.
There's also the obvious exception of "what I need right now is a 50mm".

Here's another: "it was cheaper, but only because I bought it so long ago." As it happens the other day ran across the original box for my 35/1.4 -- including a $359 price tag!