Alpha memory card formats

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

What format of memory cards should Alpha support?

SD and CF
50%
SD and MS
31%
Just SD
No votes
Just CF
19%
Just MS
No votes

Total votes: 16

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Alpha memory card formats

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It's clear from the new A500 models, that Sony has moved to SD (and MS) support in consumer based DSLR's, this might make sense as SD is very popular. On the other hand, if we have dual slots, is MS the best option??

My vote goes to SD and CF support across the entire range ;-)
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Alpha memory card formats

Unread post by Javelin »

Voted SD and MS. CF's time has come and gone. theres too many reported failures, too many knock offs and some of the failures are in the cameras. Your film shouldn't be able to disable your camera. MS is far more popular now than CF as well so why continue to support a technology that people clearly don't want.

Had to replace my printer. the replacemtn had a card readerin it with slots for MS, SD and XD .. everything except no CF....so clearly the makers of devices don't beleive innthe future of CF either. any readers i've come across that even has a CF slot has been twice the price as well.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I would have voted CF for the A900 class, but what is now happening is that I'm acquiring more devices which use SD - Zoom H2 recorder, Sanyo XActo video, Nikon D5000 and so on. So I noe find it convenient to have an SD slot. Actually, I don't care much for MS, and would prefer the option show but which is not offered - SD and CF! But we know why that is not an option.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I like what I've got, which is MS + CF. To be honest, the MS doesn't get used except in emergencies, and that emergency has to blow through twenty gigabytes of CF cards fist.

The appeal of CF is the (currently) faster read/write speeds and the bulk. I dislike messing with the fiddly wafer-thin cards.

Before I migrate to a different format, that format will have to come in a product I want and allow that product out-pace my a700 backed by my current investment in CF cards, and I don't know of any other format that tops 45 MB/sec.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

The questions are a bit tricky, imo.
I cannot say which medium is the best. Most say that CF are the quickest, but I never needed such a speed (and I think nobody did :roll: ).
I voted for SD and MS. The former is quite widespread (I use it even in my car) and the second is directly linked to Sony. If it was for CF and MS, I prefer MS (less space, not bulky, doesn't have all those pins of the CF, which are quite fragile, and once you damage them...)
Deep inside I really hope and wish MS gets more popular.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

SD + MS for me.

I like CF, but as the Doc says, I am always worried about those little pins. But as Kevin says, I like the size. They used to be cheaper on the whole, but I am not so sure now. They also seem less likely to be included in various readers etc. (Interestingly Sony lcd picture frames seem to include slots for just about every card around :D .)

I really like the key-ring zip-up card holders that San Disk used to provide with their CF cards. Very useful for device batteries etc. Does anybody know if they still do this with their other format of cards?

SD is common in lots of devices, and there are lots of good deals on cards. I have SD cards about the place, so no stress there.

I seem to have a good collection of Sony devices and so I have a a few MS cards about as well. MS are not as over priced as they once were.

The (byte) size of cards moves on so quickly that I can't get too hung up about formats as what ever format investment I make, in 2 years time I will want new cards anyway.

2 slots, what ever the format, is good for me 8) It is good for back-up and for that "oh no, the card is still in the computer !" moment when you have just set up miles away from home - I hate that :evil:
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Couple of points to make here ;-)

Obviously ever prior Sony DSLR has been CF, so users will be pretty well stocked up on those. Now it's no shock that Sony have changed formats for the lower end stuff. On the other hand, does it really matter so much? Cost is very low for half decent cards, unlike 6 or 7 years ago when they were pretty pricey. I don't believe a format change will have much impact myself.

It could prove a slight annoyance to some, though SD is popular..and I have a few lying about (well more than a few), it's another type of card to carry, that won't work on your previous bodies.

Thus IMO CF and SD solves the issue, and would please current users more.

A note to the Doc, I am well known for not being a MS fan, but I have no problem with the format, or the fact sony started it. Truth is, and it's undeniable, SD is "the" main format, and is used extensively in many other non camera devices. In a perfect world, we would have had just one format card. SD is now king (why or how or if matter not) MS is of next to no use in non Sony products. IMO Sony should have the guts to just drop it, and follow the SD path. We're stuck with dual slots with one card format that is of less use to users (MS), for no other reason, than Sony are too stubborn to admit it didn't work! I'll wager anyone, the vast majority of new users buying these 5 new bodies, will be using SD a lot more than MS
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bfitzgerald wrote:A note to the Doc, ... In a perfect world, we would have had just one format card. SD is now king...
May I rephrase it, Barry?
In a perfect world, we would have at least 2 format cards :!:
And you would've agreed with me if you had lived in the Soviet Empire :wink:
As for the SD reigning for now, I totally agree with you.
If every card were SD, think of my son or wife taking my cards to use them for mp3... :?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr