OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:38 pm

OVF Only, drop the EVF
0
No votes
EVF Only, Drop the OVF
1
13%
BOTH
7
88%
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
Atgets_Apprentice
Viceroy
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Atgets_Apprentice » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 pm

With the latest news on SAR, Sony appear to have discontinued the a900, meaning there are no OVF cameras left in the range. Is this a smart move. or should they continue to run OVF & EVF side by side?
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....

User avatar
Atgets_Apprentice
Viceroy
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Atgets_Apprentice » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:59 pm

It may be a small sample, but it says something Sony should be listening to.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....

User avatar
Dr. Harout
Tower of Babel
Posts: 5833
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Contact:

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Dr. Harout » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:It may be a small sample, but it says something Sony should be listening to.

Depends. If you have in mind a 1960s TV serial "Eight is enough" then fine. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr

User avatar
Atgets_Apprentice
Viceroy
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Atgets_Apprentice » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:13 pm

It is simply about having a choice, and not a Sony "Take it or leave it" choice.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....

User avatar
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy
Posts: 2309
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Dusty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 pm

I have no problem with Sony bringing a new technology to the photo world, but I do have a problem with them saying "Our way or the highway".

I'll take the highway. I want a STILLS camera. I want an OVF. If you put video into it and it doesn't impact my stills shooting, I'll still buy it. But I DO NOT want an EVF. It ruins my night vision when working at night. It takes power just to look thru the camera.

If you bring a new technology to the field, one that has both pros and cons, and offer only that technology in the future, you disenfranchise all those who used the old technology because of it's pros. Since DSLR cameras are systems, not individual items, you severely impact anyone who doesn't/can't make use of your new tech. In effect, you lose them eventually because if they cannot use your system, and another is available that they can, they will switch.

As it is now, I didn't buy an A580 because it didn't include GPS. All future Sonys will, but if all future Sonys are EVF, I'll not be buying one. I'll pick up a second hand 850 or 900 to extend the life of the system I have, but when it breaks I'll eventually switch to Pentax or Nikon.

Now if Sony comes out with an A750 w/ OVF and GPS, or an A950 with like features, I'll stick around.

However, I seriously think Sony overestimates the impact of SLT and underestimates the desires of OVF system users to have a fully updated OVF camera.

You may sell the single SLT with 16-50 or 18-250 to a user who wants the latest tech, but the users who buy multiple cameras, multiple lenses and multiple flashes are the guys who make you a 'real' camera company, instead of just an electronics producer.

Sony needs to change it's mindset on DSLRs or find out the hard way that it blew a chance to grow it's market by ADDING a new technology that SOME people will want.

Dusty
A couple of a350's, an a700 and now an a580, plus even more lenses.

User avatar
Atgets_Apprentice
Viceroy
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Atgets_Apprentice » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Dusty wrote:I have no problem with Sony bringing a new technology to the photo world, but I do have a problem with them saying "Our way or the highway".

I'll take the highway. I want a STILLS camera. I want an OVF. If you put video into it and it doesn't impact my stills shooting, I'll still buy it. But I DO NOT want an EVF. It ruins my night vision when working at night. It takes power just to look thru the camera.

If you bring a new technology to the field, one that has both pros and cons, and offer only that technology in the future, you disenfranchise all those who used the old technology because of it's pros. Since DSLR cameras are systems, not individual items, you severely impact anyone who doesn't/can't make use of your new tech. In effect, you lose them eventually because if they cannot use your system, and another is available that they can, they will switch.

As it is now, I didn't buy an A580 because it didn't include GPS. All future Sonys will, but if all future Sonys are EVF, I'll not be buying one. I'll pick up a second hand 850 or 900 to extend the life of the system I have, but when it breaks I'll eventually switch to Pentax or Nikon.

Now if Sony comes out with an A750 w/ OVF and GPS, or an A950 with like features, I'll stick around.

However, I seriously think Sony overestimates the impact of SLT and underestimates the desires of OVF system users to have a fully updated OVF camera.

You may sell the single SLT with 16-50 or 18-250 to a user who wants the latest tech, but the users who buy multiple cameras, multiple lenses and multiple flashes are the guys who make you a 'real' camera company, instead of just an electronics producer.

Sony needs to change it's mindset on DSLRs or find out the hard way that it blew a chance to grow it's market by ADDING a new technology that SOME people will want.

Dusty


Beautifully put.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....

GeirJ0909
Acolyte
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby GeirJ0909 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 pm

I have the a100, a350 and a850. IMO the only OVF worth keeping are the ones in the FF cameras. The OVF in the a350 is small and dark and if I am to buy another APS camera it will definitely be with an EVF.

User avatar
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:36 am
Location: Southern California

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby UrsaMajor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:15 am

GeirJ0909 wrote:I have the a100, a350 and a850. IMO the only OVF worth keeping are the ones in the FF cameras. The OVF in the a350 is small and dark and if I am to buy another APS camera it will definitely be with an EVF.
Personally, I have no complaints about the OVF in the KM 7D and the one in the A700. I am also able to work with the EVF in the A2, although I would choose the viewfinder of the A700 in preference to the viewfinder of the A2.

I have not seen the A77 viewfinder performance, so I cannot compare it to the viewfinder of the A700, but I am willing to consider a camera like the A77 with an EVF if my personal evaluation finds its performance acceptable. At this time I am withholding judgment until I can use it myself. If the EVF of the A77 meets my needs, I will consider purchase of the A77. If it does not, I will not.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

User avatar
Atgets_Apprentice
Viceroy
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Atgets_Apprentice » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 am

I have used the OVF in the a100, 200, 300, and currently the a580, and have never had any cause for complaint. I've tried the EVF in the a55, and found it better than my wifes' Fuji bridge, but still not as good as an OVF, and even with the improvements in the a77, I would simply like to have a choice from Sony, not just a choice between a Sony EVF and buying a Canikotax with an OVF.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....

User avatar
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 3573
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Ok only a small sample but conclusive result that says "both"
I've no problems with SLT you can buy them I won't. No OVF models no sale simple as that.

Choice is good I'm with Dusty on this one Sony are telling users what they can have not giving them a choice. As a result of SLT I bought a Pentax, Dusty check out the K-5 it's a damn fine body and has everything you could want and maybe more. I'm def going to pick one up shortly funds allowing.

User avatar
Atgets_Apprentice
Viceroy
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Atgets_Apprentice » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm

I would probably be interested in switching to Pentax, if their future seemed secure, but having gone from ownership by Pentax, to Hoya, and now Ricoh, all in the space of a few short years, they might not be around by the time I am looking to replace the a580.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....

User avatar
Birma
Tower of Babel
Posts: 6679
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Birma » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

It is over a couple of months since I used a VF, either optical or electrical, and I can't say I miss it. I realise that I'm probably in a minority in my style of shooting using a 'pod rather than hand holding etc., but I'm now much, much less concerned about a lack of OVF.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.

User avatar
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy
Posts: 2309
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby Dusty » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:I would probably be interested in switching to Pentax, if their future seemed secure, but having gone from ownership by Pentax, to Hoya, and now Ricoh, all in the space of a few short years, they might not be around by the time I am looking to replace the a580.


That's also my concern with Pentax. I don't want to be switching from a company that has abandoned making the type of camera I want to one that has abandoned making cameras altogether!

I don't know why you have to be so big these days to create a photographic system. In the old days there were a plethora of camera companies. Now it seems like if you aren't selling a million cameras a year you can't keep your doors open.

Dusty
A couple of a350's, an a700 and now an a580, plus even more lenses.

User avatar
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 3573
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 am

Well play it by ear Ricoh can be a bit of a mixed bag but the signs are encouraging they do seem interested in developing the system.
Hoya never were that interested in Pentax it was just a case of wanting the medical/optical division.

I'd not be too worried about K mount going away.

wwind_chan_200
Acolyte
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Sydney, Au
Contact:

Re: OVF & EVF: What should Sony do?

Unread postby wwind_chan_200 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Being a long time a200 user, having purchased an a850 lately, and using an a65 for a short for extended time over the weekend I'm finding the OVF penta-prism of the 850 to be supreme. The a65 EVF bothered me in shooting, especially in the high contrast scenes.

I'll never go back to a penta-mirror, but I would happily accept a Sony EVF in it's place in that sort of camera (entry level). In an advance body, I don't think an EVF only lineup will cut the mustard.
V. Nguyen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/suyen-sunset/


Return to “Opinion Polls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron