Ipad being used?

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!
motor
Heirophant

Ipad being used?

Unread post by motor »

How many people are using the Ipad for traveling? What/ How do you use it/For :?:

Apps, camera kit by Mac, workflow, storage, transfer, size etc?

Motor
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Ipad being used?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

No IPhones, IPods or IPads that IPaid for.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
-----Nod-----
Heirophant

Unread post by -----Nod----- »

Dr. Harout wrote:No IPhones, IPods or IPads that IPaid for.
ISecond that, IDon't even know what an IPad, IPhone or IPod is and strangely enough, I use my Phone to make calls and my Camera to take pictures! Oh, the perils of being old !
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

-----Nod----- wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:No IPhones, IPods or IPads that IPaid for.
ISecond that, IDon't even know what an IPad, IPhone or IPod is and strangely enough, I use my Phone to make calls and my Camera to take pictures! Oh, the perils of being old !
iAgree.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I'm not an Apple product lover. I consider that paying 500+ for a tablet is a waste of money, since you have a new and better model every 6 months (or less). I was interested on tablets for a while and I bought an Archos 101 last spring. I pick that model because pricewise it was the best deal around. I'm fine with Android and 2.2 is just OK.

But this summer Sony launch their Tablet S. I went to the SonyStyle store here in NYC and play a little with it; the experience with Android 3 is much better, and the hardware is great, specially the screen. Then, it offers a great compatibility with other Sony products. @Sonyelectronics (https://twitter.com/#!/SonyElectronics) on Twiter organized a contest for the pre-launch of the tablet called "catch the tablet" -you must take o picture of the tablet and post it on the web. An I got the tablet! http://twitpic.com/6gi1c9 My sister is enjoying now the Archos 101 and i use the Tablet S more and more: I only turn on the computer at home if I need to "work".

When I'm traveling or "on location" I don't really want to edit my work. I do back up the files on a 40 GB Flashtrack (that I will need to upgrade soon) I use RAWDROID (https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... 2Ryb2lkIl0.) in order to see RAW files and extract the embedded JPG in case I wan to share it. There are a couple of apps that you can use for resize pics, you can install the photoshop touch app, or many other free apps that allow you to work on your pics. Then you can install the Wordpress app for your blog, the Google+ app, the Facebook app, the Twitter app that will publish your pics at twitpic or another service. There is also a nice app for flickr...

just do not expect to process pictures
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Since we may develop apps, and I need to see what one of my clients is doing with my material, I have an iPad now. It has wifi which is mainly what gets used, but also has a 3G mobile broadband SIM installed which cost me £20 including some usage - so far, I have not bought any extra usage.

It's proved useful but if the same SIM was in my laptop that would be just as good. I did mange to pair a MacBook with one of our mobile phones with a 3G SIM to sent photos and text to a publisher from on board a cruise earlier in the year. So far I can't really find a way to make the iPad substitute for a laptop but it has many functions and I have not really used them to the full.

David
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I find the iPad absolutely indispensable as a communications device (internet, email, Bloomberg, sound control, RSS feed, newspaper, document and Kindle reader, etc) and i use it as such when travelling because WiFi is pretty well ubiquitous now. I do not use it for photo processing and only for selective photo storage. The lack of usb interface makes it a poor choice for back-up in my view. I no longer make presentations but Keynote would be invaluable if I did. I do, however, use it for Board meeting papers.

I could not now imagine being without it. It is undoubtedly the most useful and user-friendly device I have ever owned.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

We use the IPad mainly as web browser - it's so much more comfortable to lie on the sofa and use it rather than sitting at a desk or using the laptop. It doesn't get used for any phorographic tasks, though (other than reading phoyo forums on the web :mrgreen: )
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

I agree with several of you on different points. First the iPad will never replace the laptop for me but it does have a use. I do a lot of traveling in the summer and I like the iPad for two main reasons. One: Charging. I have a new Ford 250 and under each seat is a USB charging station. The iPad and even touch are so nice to charge while on the road. If not there are several companies (griffin) that you can insert a liter adapter and it turns it into a dual power usb supply for the iPad and iPod Touch. I love my macbook Pro so much I am afraid to buy and aftermarket charger for the truck. I just don't trust them. I have heard to many horror stories. The second thing I like about the iPad is the size. I use it on the road mainly to keep the kids entertained in the back seat. Being on the East coast and traveling across country after 5000-8700 miles or so on a trip the kids do need something to play with. I pull a fifth wheel usually for 2-3 sometimes 4 weeks and hit a ton of National Parks. We are not afraid to go where there is no electricity, sewer or water so being able to charge and use for multi purposes is critical. They can only look out the window so long. I personally like the size, I know others don't but we can all watch movies, play games, listen to music, read books, listen to audio books, etc together at night or they can do it comfortably in the back seat and I can swap the iPad and iPod touch back and forth if needed. Having the same hook-ups is so nice. All the I... are the same.

My workflow is simple. My wife is always on my back to view both her photos an my pictures that we took that day so the mac camera kit works very nicely for the iPad. I use the usb dongle from the photo kit and hook up the camera with the usb cable and Bowtie hookup supplied with every camera and I can upload them onto the iPad and she can view them every night. I agree that the iPad is not for enhancing photos but to quickly view them and to use the app ( Snapseed Mobile) to basically enhance them is a nice feature for me. I actually like snapseed. I use PS5 with a lot of Nik software plug ins and snap seed is a simple combination of all this plug ins made by Nik Software. This also gives me a idea what photos I really want to work when I get home. I do sometimes need to drop photos onto the iPad if I do run out of SD cards but that doesn't happen very often. I have several 16gb and a 32GB and 64GB cards so I am fine as in SD storage.

Last, I purchased it from Apple so I can now get month to month internet. We don't have a smart phone. Infact all we use is a track phone. I buy 3 months of internet 3G while on the road during the summer and then turn it off for the remaining of the year. This is also a nice feature. When using the iPad for internet it is a comfortable machine to use and If we need a quick view of a map etc while on the road the iPad works nice since we don't use smartphones.

For me it is tool. We only really use it traveling but I do travel a lot so it is a nice tool for me with my photography and entertainment. Can I do this with an android yes! I love mac. I know it is more expensive but for me I like them. I am not saying one is better than the other I just use iMac and book pro so I buy one app and can use them on both the touch and pad. I also buy one cable and can use it on all of them.

Motor
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I was not going to mention investments but that is one reason I wanted the iPad for travel. It's not the ideal solution as some sites need Flash, but it is very secure and I will not use Windows devices for security reasons.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote: I will not use Windows devices for security reasons.
really?
There is not that many devises running windows and their main problem is not "security" but the fact that the actual OS (windows 7) is not designed for the touch experience. The new windows mobile is a totally different experience, and windows 8 promises to be a great contender in the tablets world.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

The next Ipad will be suitable for photography usage I'm pretty sure. I'm looking forward to get one if the resolution of the screen is good (It should be the same density of the Iphone 4, if this is true, it will be insane :-) ). For the moment only my girlfriend has the Ipad 2 and for me this is not a good tool enough to justify bringing it with me anywhere. I have to to logmein on my computer at home if I want to browse or do modification on RAW files and the resolution is till missing to really manipulate and see the image properly in lightroom.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I was not going to mention investments but that is one reason I wanted the iPad for travel. It's not the ideal solution as some sites need Flash, but it is very secure and I will not use Windows devices for security reasons.
FWIW, I was in a meeting at Boeing Aircraft where one of the employees asked a high-level manager if there was any chance that the company would issue iPhones to management and product support staff instead of the Blackberry phones that are currently issued.

The reply was that the company's IT staff had been asked to look at this possibility, and also at the possibility of offering "Electronic Flight Bags" for flight crew on iPads instead of the hardware on which it is currently sold. The IT department's evaluation was that the security of both the iPhone and the iPad is so poor that the company could not risk using them. He also said that this had been communicated to high levels at Apple who had promised to "evaluate the possibility of taking corrective action" - although the results from such action would not be available for a long time, if ever.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

That's easy enough Tom, Blackberry uses encrypted text messages on a private system, which is why they are the favourite device for insider trading, drug dealing and why they were used to co-ordinate the British summer riots and looting. Because they exist outside the SMS/phone network. I think Apple's iO5 is perfectly secure enough, but it uses conventional SMS and relies on third party providers like Orange, T-Mobile, Vodaphone etc to route its traffic and store things like answerphone message and communication logs. It's all the public things Apple depends on which are not secure.

Blackberry is not logged the same way and government agencies (or newspaper hacks!) can't get information from them to aid investigations. When their network went down last year for a few days, it had some effects in the City and Wall Street.

David
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I will not use Windows devices for security reasons.
Ah, and Apple or Android is? Based on? These devices are really popular, what makes them perfect targets for criminals, just as Windows is.

Do you know what happens to the data send from your iPad or Android tablet when they hook up to a marketplace or iTunes? What happens to your data when you upload it to the iCloud or Gmail? Right, it's getting abused for advertising and marketing and your data is in the hands of a the company you stored it at.

I was present during a seminar with a journalist who shared insights into an investigation he did into storage in the many cloud solution there are for enterprises. His employer, a European based company, asked Google if they could disclose what happened to their data and in what geographic location it was stored. They got no answer. Then, they contacted a branch office in the USA to ask the same. That company got full disclosure and was asked in which state they wanted their data to be kept! Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

This all sounds pretty paranoid, but it is a reality. Privacy doesn't exist when you use an internet device nowadays. So yes, some devices may be hardened for virusses, malware and hacks, but you are NOT safe from information and identity-theft.

Have said that, I too am a user of Facebook and Microsoft Skydrive for storage, but I use it with awareness of what services I use, what information I disclose and store. I even am considering using a tablet.

Mark