HDMI without an Alpha?

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: HDMI without an Alpha?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The Sony configuration which works best is a current Bravia set with the Photo-TV function, combined with the PlayStation 3 Pro. This will accept your A700 memory cards directly, or you can create CD/DVD/BluRay discs containing the photos. The Playstation remote control provides incredible seamless, flowing movement round the picture including zooming and instead of just using the basic HD function (1920 x 1080) you can use the entire JPEG - zoom in, scroll round. Sony's own staff use the PS3 to show the pictures.
Will a Sony Bravia or PS3 be able to view ARW picture files from a DVD?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No. The Bravia can view ARW files from the camera, using the embedded large JPEG. The PS3 can't see ARW files at all (in fact, it has serious problems seeing anything as a valid digital image unless you get the filenaming, directory structure JUST right for the system).

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I wonder if that was improved on the 2 newly released PS3 units?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Unlikely - I got the version 1 PS3 because it's better than the version 2 at handling media and files, with a full range of card reader slots and USB ports. But they may have restored some of the functions of the original, which were missed from those on sale recently.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I don't know anythig about them. My daughter wants me to get one instead of just a blu-ray player and I had noticed the new ones they announced.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

We got a PS3 last Christmas. Great at bringing the PC in to the living room , so to speak. Very easy to show people your photos in the comfort of the lounge on a big screen. Blu Ray movies are great. Also handy for browsing the internet on the big screen. Nothing like seeing Gustav's kingfishers on a Sony HD tv :D . My wireless network is not up to streaming HD video so that is the only let down. I justy have to plug a usb stick with the videos in to the front instead. The PS3 web browser is compatible with YouTube and BBC iPlayer, often better than the scheduled tv broadcasts. We don't really use it for games :shock: .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

thats good to know. i'll probably get some use out of it myself then. I won't game on it either I don't think.. game controllers are a horrible thing to play games with :)