Projection

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Projection

Unread post by aster »

Javelin wrote:Hey thats not Turkish!
aster wrote:Congratulations, c'est tres bonne mes amis!
Yildiz
Oh,well! :D

Here you go then.

'Tebrikler, bu harika arkadaşlar!'

Yildiz
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

David, its been a couple of months now since you ordered your projector and I'm curious to know how you're getting on with it as I'm looking into aquiring one myself for photo projection.

Philip
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I will report on it after the magazine article has appeared. It's excellent, the Sony VPL-EW5 works well with the A700 or A900 plugged straight in but even better with a Playstation 3 and the files transferred to a DVD/CD or memory card. I did a demo with it at Edinburgh. For the money, nothing matches it except Sanyo and Epson similar models (HDMI, WXGA res, three-LCD, 1600-2000 lumens, 1.2X zoom, auto keystone, built-in keystone shift at neutral position). They are all very similar 1200 x 800 res machines with 720p video, HDMI connector, and cost around £600-700.

I can not fault the sharpness, colour or general image quality. It's quite large but very lightweight and comes with a gig bag. I think the Epson has direct card slots, which the Sony does not, and that is a potential plus point.

David
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Thanks for the initial feedback David. Look forward to a more in depth review later.

Philip
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

So we are now years on from this discussion.

What could I buy today that would compete with my 20 year old Kodak Carousel projector that is
perfectly good at delivering bright horizontal and vertical images on a square screen.

Harvey
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

A Reflecta Diamator. I have one bought from a car boot sale, and after getting it, sold my Leitz Pradovit. But then I found an original Leitz Prado in its wooden case with manual slide change for £10!

David
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

I mean digital projector. The Kodak one still works!

Harvey
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Nothing. Nothing looks like a slide projector - sadly. But I use a decent Sony WXGA model which was affordable and does a good job - the VPL-EW5. It is not a long throw machine, it sits fairly close to the screen relative to traditional slide projectors but has excellent keystone correction.

David
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

Good job on the car-boot Pradovit! God I lusted after those. However, I remember a show where the presenter had two Prados and got slide jams all night. What a disaster.

Perhaps the potential of a slide projector is great(er) but there are so many problems. Even with a decent projection lens the problems with edge-to-edge sharpness never went away for me. Slides went out of focus as they heated up and the AF got them back, but it was a distraction. Worst of all, of course, was that you were stuck with the original slides you took and could not edit the scratches out, the highlights down and the shadows up.

Even an 800x600 digital projector is surprisingly good in comparison. When you add the ability to edit digital photos, I really think the digital system wins by a mile. Of course now it's all moot - you can't use a Prado for your A99.

I'd be interested to hear what people are using now. I use an Optoma 800x600 for nature club shows and an HD flatscreen at home (boy do I spend a lot of time editing and cropping), and would like to improve the club projector.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
Eiffel
Initiate

Unread post by Eiffel »

I'm using a JVC D-ILA projector (HD750), which, once calibrated, gives very good results for photos and videos. I haven't used my Pradovit P2000 for years now, even though, when all stars are aligned (CF lens, KR slides, etc.), it is a lovely device.

The JVC projectors are unique within the world of digital projectors in their ability to show inky blacks without using an iris and are the closest thing to the traditional CRT projectors... without the tuning and size challenges.
Proud owner of DK's dearly missed A900 ;-)