First LCD monitor

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
harvey
Oligarch

First LCD monitor

Unread post by harvey »

After nearly 11 years of trusty service I am going to retire my Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510 CRT which is still working well.

It looks like the 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2410 is a reasonable choice.

Does anyone have experience of this model, are there others in this price range I should be considering?

I will be using it as main display for a Windows PC but also Macbook pro and work laptop.

I have a Spyder2 and wonder if I need new calibration hardware for a modern LCD, it seems the
Dell comes pre-calibrated.

Harvey
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: First LCD monitor

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Spyder 2 is LCD compatible, I am sure. Dell's monitor is very similar to a Mac 24 inch or an LD 24 inch as used by Alamy for their quality control - basically, one of the best (the HP 24 inch is in the same class). My guess is that you will not need to calibrate it if you use the supplied profile.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

harvey wrote: I have a Spyder2 and wonder if I need new calibration hardware for a modern LCD, it seems the
Dell comes pre-calibrated.

Harvey
Hello Harvey,

Spyder2 works fine on LCDs and/or laptops. Even if your monitor comes "pre-calibrated", the monitor will change during it's lifetime. It is recommended to calibrate the monitor every 2 weeks (I try to do it every month...) because monitors will shift in color and brightness.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

I have been doing more research and another credible alternative is the HP LP2475w (perhaps the model David is thinking of).
Some people complain of a pink cast on the Dell. I found a site with very detailed reviews, for example...

HP LP2475 review

My Spyder2 will work with an LCD but some people are writing that it cannot handle wider gamut displays. A few sites mention that the Dell monitor has some sort of internal calibration and you need special software to calibrate it. I have seen references to ColorEyes software (see here) but I have no idea if this is overkill.

I take the point about frequent calibration, I think I was lucky with my CRT as it seems very stable and I only check every
3 months.

Harvey