32 bit Applications in 64bit OS

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

32 bit Applications in 64bit OS

Unread post by sury »

I came across this little utility for extending memory from 2GB to 4GB on 32 bit applications running on 64bit OS.
I was having difficulty running a free noise removal program on my A900 image in PS7 and it came down to not having
enough memory. Based on the suggestion of the author of Ximagic denoiser, I searched the net and came across
this utility. I ran it and my denoiser worked perfectly.

http://maketecheasier.com/increase-memo ... -64-bit-os

The utility can be downloaded from here.

http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

As always, please use your judgment, caution and discretion. Please use it at your own risk. I have no interest in either Ximagic
or in ntcore in any way shape or form.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
harvey
Oligarch

Re: 32 bit Applications in 64bit OS

Unread post by harvey »

I'm guessing that the magic patchers are just setting IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the header which is something that the microsoft developer tools can do.

Would it not be better for the author of the denoiser to provide a version linked to use large addresses if that is supported for the 32-bit version?

If I guessed wrongly then I would be interested to know what the real issue is.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Harvey,
Is that what it is, then. Thanks for the info. I don't know enough about Windows to even hazard a guess.
In fact he is the one who pointed out what needs to be done and also mentioned that the patch tool I mentioned is irreversible in its change. He said he is working on a version of that utility that is reversible and also provides info. on how much memory is being allocated etc., I am expecting an update from him.
Also, I did not realize the situation till I ran the denoiser in PS7 and found it would not run on my A900 files complaining that memory is not sufficient. When I changed the memory setting in PS7 from 60% to 10%, I was able to run a file below 40MB (reported by PS) but still one
method eluded me. After the patch, I see no issues anymore. Since i have the PS7 disc, irreversibility was not an issue for me.

His plug-in itself is already available in 32bit and 64 bit versions.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

For those who are tech savvy like me, here's an article about increasing the memory useable by applications on a 32-bit platform, aptly called "Memory Management - Demystifying /3GB". The articles target is Microsofts server platform. It it applicable to desktop products as well.

@harvey: as the use of >2048 Mb of RAM for 32-bit platforms is a restriction of the OS, and Microsoft doesn't advocate the use on a desktop platform (or server for that matter), it's not a good idea for a third party vendor to configure that option from it's software.

Mark
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

Mark, note that you are addressing a different scenario from the one under discussion here.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

harvey wrote:Mark, note that you are addressing a different scenario from the one under discussion here.
I do? Please enlighten me, because I'm missing it...