Software for Creating Photo Collages or Layouts?

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
chriznatch
Initiate

Software for Creating Photo Collages or Layouts?

Unread post by chriznatch »

Can anyone recommend a software program that lets you create photo spreads where you put a bunch of different digital pics together in a one-page spread in various layouts? Some wedding photographers create albums with a lot of interesting layouts -- what software do they use? I use PS Elements 6 right now, but it doesn't give very many layout options. Many thanks everyone,

Chriznatch
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Software for Creating Photo Collages or Layouts?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have asked Phil Flowers, who has a lot of experience with programs like this and markets a couple of them in the UK (acting as an agent), to join the forums and respond here. He may take this up, and if he does, don't complain about the commercial link because he is very good on this subject and he also has an internet-based on line training system for such programs, where he does one to one paid training 'taking over your computer' as you work with him - amazing stuff, but real, and it works worldwide. It is not free and it is intended for professionals (as are most programs like this).

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Picaza has a collage maker application built in. it's simple to use but all your collages will look the same.
Phil Flowers

Unread post by Phil Flowers »

/Thanks David for the nice intro, It's all true OK if I understand the orginal post correctly your looking to have predefined pages for an Album ?? so you can drag and drop, job done !
Well if you are photographic based you could try any of the progs that the Album Manf' offer mostly free, but that ties you into there stuff, if you want more flexibility then take a look at Timeexposure.com ProSelect 4 (yes I am an agent, but after I bought the prog cos it's the best thing I know for doing a work flow for my studio :lol: )
It offers page make up and production thru Photoshop scripts (Min req CS) so if you have PS CS or Later then look at that.

If on the other hand you want this option in layouts only on an ocassional basis then look to Desk Top Publishing. Most of them now are moving into this area,
One I have used for years is Serifs Page Plus, it comes with some clever bolt ons for photography "PhotoPlus" its priced well and is very flexible. But as with all software as it matures over the years, more and more features are added, so the learning process gets tougher and tougher, so in it's curent version you will need a little time to learn it, but a couple of weeks should see you get what you want. or......." I refer you to Davids comments"
chriznatch
Initiate

Unread post by chriznatch »

Wow, thanks everyone for the responses. Phil, you understood my original post correctly, I'm looking to generate pages for a photo album. I want to drag and drop my photos into predesigned templates so I can work quickly. I've been using PS Elements, and since there aren't many templates available, I've had to design my own layouts, which takes forever. I don't have PS CS, so it looks like Serif Page Plus may be the answer. Many thanks for joining the forum and answering my post! (and thanks David for bringing Phil into the forum)

Chriznatch
883robert
Acolyte

Unread post by 883robert »

If you haven't made up your mind yet, I suggest you look at Fotofusion by Lumapix.com. They offer three versions, from free to photographer level to studio level and it's excellent.
I've used the middle version for a couple of years now and find it does everything I need, both for my own albums and for cllients' collages. It's interface tries a little too hard to be 'easy' for non-computer people, but you soon get used to it.
Robert
Thick as a Brick
Acolyte

Unread post by Thick as a Brick »

This is a late post, just having a look around and came upon this. You're more then likely sorted but for reference, have you tried Microsofts Auto College: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... tocollage/

I use it and it works a treat and has face recognition. I've used it on WinXP, Win7 32bit and Win7 64bit.

Just a thought

Cheers

Adam