HDMI questions

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: HDMI questions

Unread post by Javelin »

Wow you folks are all arguing about different subjects as if they were the same, i'm not even sure your all reading each others posts correctly.

Pal looks better than NTSC for the same reason HDTV looks better than digital. Off air broadcasts are all about signal strength on analog, and if you max out the signal NTSC off air looks better than other sources because in a lot of cases the other sources are compromised (i'm talking cable. VTR. set top digital boxes be it satellite or cable) but it can only look so good without more resolution to throw into the equation and that’s where the different flavours of HDtv come in. David is right when he says thee isn't as big a difference between PAL and HDTV than there is between NTSC and HDTV.

HDTV will quickly be compromised too as soon as they (the broadcasters) jack the compression up on digital sources to fit more channels in and that’s where you will see compression artifacts and halos, drop outs ect.. and this isn't by any stretch any thing there going to advertize beyond the more channels aspect.

Even off Air NTSC could be compromised because the whole reason we got stuck with NTSC is that they transmit other traffic over the bands at the same time as the video colour and sound signals. the farther you are away from the transmitter the more cross talk among the bands ect.

Plain cable TV is compromised by the quality of the infrastructure and signal strength by the time it reaches the TV after going through all the noise filters and boosters to get to your set.

Digital TV gets more compressed the more data (channels) are added. And satellite digital sources get compromised by weather/atmosphere unless your receiver dish is pointed straight up at 90°

HDTV can be had off air or through a digital box and is still subject to the above pressures. It still has to get to you somehow. and the entities that bring it to you are not necessarily interested in supplying you the best quality.

In a lot of ways your all right on practically everything you've posted.

Oh and to make this on topic. The best source you might ever have for your Digital TV may be the A700 with it's HDMI connection so it may look better than anything else your likely to see.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Tell me where I dissagreed with you anywhere below. You sure you dont drink Coffee? You've basically said I lied in one second and didn't know what I was talking about anywhere else (get a clue) and implied I was dumb in the last lines (Duh!) So again show me where I dissagreed with you anywhere. Bascally I want you to explain yourself here and why you treat these topics so hotly

David is right when he says thee isn't as big a difference between PAL and HDTV than there is between NTSC and HDTV.

You are so full of shi* it's ridiculous! the resolution increase is still massive!

HDTV will quickly be compromised too as soon as they (the broadcasters) jack the compression up on digital sources to fit more channels in and that’s where you will see compression artifacts and halos, drop outs ect.. and this isn't by any stretch any thing there going to advertize beyond the more channels aspect.
Get a clue.....it still BLOWS AWAY any Pal or NTSC signal...Step into the real world...

Digital TV gets more compressed the more data (channels) are added. And satellite digital sources get compromised by weather/atmosphere unless your receiver dish is pointed straight up at 90°

Get a clue...I get only a couple outages a year and have had digital satellite since 1996...

HDTV can be had off air or through a digital box and is still subject to the above pressures. It still has to get to you somehow. and the entities that bring it to you are not necessarily interested in supplying you the best quality.
Get a clue...some HD services are MIND BLOWING..Off Air, satellite, and Cable!

Oh and to make this on topic. The best source you might ever have for your Digital TV may be the A700 with it's HDMI connection so it may look better than anything else your likely to see.

Duh! We have already been there and done that....David thinks HD is no better than standard def. and he also thinks you need a Sony Bravia to see a mind blowing picture from the A700..read his first post in the thread and beyond to get a load of the true for gosh sake.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Justin Smith wrote:I`m surprised this "Sonalta" guy isn`t edited off this forum.
I`m not interested in replying to someone so ill informed and, frankly, objectionable.
I`ll leave it for others to read my site and make their own minds up as to whether or not I know what I`m talking about.
Thank You and Good Night.
Don (Sonolta) is not edited off this forum because no-one is. At the best, he can be very helpful and show good examples of work. At the worst, he can be so obsessive that threads become unreadable or unpleasant for visitors. A lot of our members know Sonolta from other forums he has been banned from.
David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Sonolta wrote:I'm out on this one...I don't have any more time to waste on this semi-circular, chaff filled discussion. After reading this thread, if someone still can't believe, understand, or concept the amazing picture/image quality that HDTV provides from several different input sources, God help them.

-Sonolta

Dernit .. and it was just starting to get interesting again :/

Ya don't sweat that Sonlolta guy. he's part of the background noise here and can be more interesting (alright maybe abrasive too) than the 3 versions of CSI that are on HD right now :) Also he does have a lot of knoledge and experience in the main subject of this site. Every Hobbyist Forum I've ever been on back to the BBS days always had one of these kinds when they first get started up.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Yep.. go buy a new 50"plasma.. new surround audio to go with it .. nice new cable subscriptions with the PVR box. and you think great. then Comcast jacks up the compression (but not quite enough to keep the bitrate from dropping) and suddenly Hillary's face is 2 diferent colours and her nose doesn't move at the same time as her head... at least with snow I could turn the rabbit ears a bit
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

You have to change your avatar picture Oh Grand Caliph Sonolta :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr