Challenge 1: Wheels within Wheels- Open to Interesting Ideas

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 1: Wheels within Wheels

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Winston,

Very nice animations. I like mechanical things and your rendition of these 3d animations comprise some good interactions. I bookmarked your website and will study the content.

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote:Now, assuming that this sphere, in two dimensions is actually a wheel and assuming that there are other spheres or wheels inside, this photo could qualify!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/228 ... 8d8d_o.jpg

Or call it 'Triangles in glass-bowls' if you prefer :mrgreen:

I don't know at what level this nice bubble corresponds with the theme of the thread but I like this architectural contribution, especially because it is transparent and is very capable of blending in with its surroundings. Looks like a 'time-travel' ship from this far...at port to accumulate some solar energy to move onto its next galactical port perhaps? At 'galactical orbiting unidetified object' level I think it might fit in nicely with wheels within wheels.. :D Orbits...orbits..orbits...Yes, I think it fits. :)

Nice shot!

Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Where and what?
That's the biosphere (supposed to be self-sufficient) in the harbour of Genova, Italy, a two hours drive from here. We spent a few days there last February.

Genova is not the most beautiful of Italian towns, but loaden with history, old buildings, museums. Paganini lived here and we saw his violins. There is also a great aquarium in the harbour area.

See here for more pics:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readf ... e=26907357

and here for the aquarium pics:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readf ... e=26907381
MFS
Heirophant

Unread post by MFS »

My interpretation of Wheels within Wheels. As this guy P&S the sunset, he made me set my wheels in motion by doing the same, yet now the point and shooter is the subject. Whit his action he invoked another action, my action to do some P&S too.

Shot with A700 and Minolta AF 200/2.8 HS G. Some PP in LR, enhancing the warm tones, some sharpening, clearance etc. Oh yeah before I forget, it's a crop.

Date/Time 07-Jan-2009 16:11:36
Model DSLR-A700
Flash Used No
Focal Length 200 mm
Exposure Time 1/500 sec
Aperture f/3.2
ISO Equivalent 100
John.

Sony A700 - KMD7D + Grip - HS5600 D and some Minolta Lenses
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Challenge 1: Wheels within Wheels- Open to Interesting I

Unread post by Dusty »

Check this out all the way, and you'll see why I posted it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=cuIJRsAuCHQ

Dusty