Challenge 1: Wheels within Wheels- Open to Interesting Ideas

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Challenge 1: Wheels within Wheels

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I won't remove it, but I declare Henry the winner of the London Eye bout as his shot includes Big Ben/the clock, and therefore has loads of wheels, gears and other stuff within the big wheel!

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I dug through the archives and found one that I made work. The pulleys, flywheel cover and even exhaust pipes, placed between the drive wheels, satisfies the challenge. Had I been taking it for the challenge, I would have been directly behind and lower.
wheels2c.jpg
Having just bought my A350, and going to Denver for a week to work, I of course brought it along. A coworker and I had just come back from shooting at Red Rocks when we saw a local burger joint having an evening car show.

What looks like a VW Bug sans motor cover is actually that back half of a motor-trike.

Originally shot in JPEG, not RAW, I cropped it in PhotoScape and slightly adjusted the exposure, then used IfranView's Swap Colors tool to change the RBG to GRB, turning a light blue vehicle to purple. and the ignition components from red to green. I fell it has more "pop" with this color scheme.

A350, 1/160 sec, F5.0, ISO 100, 18-70 kit lens at 22mm.

Dusty
Last edited by Dusty on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I won't remove it, but I declare Henry the winner of the London Eye bout as his shot includes Big Ben/the clock, and therefore has loads of wheels, gears and other stuff within the big wheel!
Wow, thank you! I want to take this opportunity to thank all the little people who helped me along the way. :)

Hey, Murph, I really like that second photo of the Eye you posted!
MFS
Heirophant

Unread post by MFS »

Gongrats Henry, a true wheels whitin wheels.

Btw I did not attend, hoped the challenge would be open a little longer. But no worries, a true winner we got in Henry.

After I said in my first post that I did not understand quite well enough I did some googeling and I found that the "Wheels whitin Wheels" Could be from the Bible as you can read here http://www.gracecathedral.org/enrichmen ... 0606.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John.

Sony A700 - KMD7D + Grip - HS5600 D and some Minolta Lenses
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Sonolta wrote:I would like to see one day a contest where the submissions are *anonymous* until the winner is declared ...
That's a really great idea! (though your squirrels, cats & cheerleaders would give you away, Don :mrgreen: )
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

MFS wrote:Gongrats Henry, a true wheels whitin wheels.

Btw I did not attend, hoped the challenge would be open a little longer. But no worries, a true winner we got in Henry.
I didn't interpret David's remarks as meaning the challenge was over. Unless he says not to I say go ahead and post a photo!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I did not mean it was closed! I just meant that on the London Eye skirmish, there was a winner on points - more wheels! Better keep my mouth shut.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

And the winner gets to keep David's prized Aston Martin.. ;-)

http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/thecars/dbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The challenges don't have to close, there was never an intention to have a 'winner' - that was a joke. The original suggestion was to run a weekly challenge, but it seems people are happier just pottering along adding their picture without a sense of urgency. I guess a challenge can be closed at any time if it seems to have run its course.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Now, assuming that this sphere, in two dimensions is actually a wheel and assuming that there are other spheres or wheels inside, this photo could qualify!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/228 ... 8d8d_o.jpg

Or call it 'Triangles in glass-bowls' if you prefer :mrgreen:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Where and what? It looks like something we could do with in Scotland, preferably one for every garden.

David
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Enough clocks/watches.......hiccup!
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Are computeranimations allowed?

Plantery Gears

The animation is pretty choppy until the download is complete and then smoothes out.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

That's a very good 3d animation Winston. :D
I like the smooth transitions between various combinations you implemented. Interesting to learn about an other artistic side of you, the 3d Art.

Congratulations
Yildiz
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

aster wrote:That's a very good 3d animation Winston. :D
I like the smooth transitions between various combinations you implemented. Interesting to learn about an other artistic side of you, the 3d Art.

Congratulations
Yildiz
Thanks Yildiz.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, I have a few more that you can find here.

Note to David: I won't pollute your forums with this stuff again.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3