Challenge 2: Long Shadows - Open to Submissions

A photo challenge starting January 5th 2009. One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Aster has been appointed moderator of this forum in recognition of her commitment to making it great fun. This does not prevent others from setting challenges!

Moderator: aster

Forum rules
One image only, normal size restrictions apply (1000 pixel maximum width or height recommended - if vertical we suggest 700 pixels maximum width). No followup images (comparisons) except by those who have not already posted their one image. Discussion welcome - please only repeat images in discussion posts if absolutely essential. Participants should provide basic camera data (body, lens, ISO, mode, exposure over-ride or WB settings), and details of raw processing and subsequent PP.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Challenge 2: Long Shadows

Unread post by bakubo »

I like the brick street. Is that in Ft. Worth? Tyler still has some brick streets downtown.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bakubo wrote:I like the brick street. Is that in Ft. Worth? Tyler still has some brick streets downtown.
My, how you travel! Yes, that is Fort Worth, a nicely sized city which is classy enough to remember its roots and preserve the dignity and character of older generations. We have some historic Stock Yards (yes, we capitalize it around here), the Will Rogers Memorial, and a sprawling museum district...oh, and some lovely red brick roads.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

KevinBarrett wrote: My, how you travel! Yes, that is Fort Worth, a nicely sized city which is classy enough to remember its roots and preserve the dignity and character of older generations. We have some historic Stock Yards (yes, we capitalize it around here), the Will Rogers Memorial, and a sprawling museum district...oh, and some lovely red brick roads.
You forgot such great shopping as CheaperThanDirt!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

May not be long enough shadows. Monochrome image after extracting green channel in PS7. Lens is SAL18-200.

Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/10
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Image Description: SONY DSC
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
Software: Adobe Photoshop 7.0
Date and Time: 2007:01:04 22:55:58
YCbCr Positioning: Centered
Exposure Program: Normal

With best regards,
Sury

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

KevinBarrett wrote:My, how you travel! Yes, that is Fort Worth, a nicely sized city which is classy enough to remember its roots and preserve the dignity and character of older generations. We have some historic Stock Yards (yes, we capitalize it around here), the Will Rogers Memorial, and a sprawling museum district...oh, and some lovely red brick roads.
I have lived in various places in Texas: Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Athens, and Tyler. Also, California, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Idaho, Louisiana, and Hawaii -- some as a child, some as an adult. Also, Morocco, Japan, and Canada. :)

I have not been to Fort Worth as an adult though. Maybe the next time I am in Texas I will try to stop by and take a look.
wormy1
Acolyte

Unread post by wormy1 »

Hi guys,

I like this forum very much. Wish to contribute a little.

Taken at Tokyo during a visit to a tample. A couple were having their tradditional wedding ceremony. The color not nice with backlight so I take them away. Left only the red umbrella to link with the long shadow.
17mm (Tamron 17-50)
F/6.3
ISO-100
1/500s
Sony A100
Attachments
shadow.jpg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

wormy1, that is a cool photo. I like it! Looks like Meiji-jingu,is it? I have lived in Tokyo and, of course, have been to Meiji-jingu many times. Tokyo is my favorite city in the world. Here are photos of people getting married at Meiji-jingu on various occasions in various years (no long shadows though):

This is scanned from film (Kodak Ektar 100, I think it was):

The rest are from DSLRs:

The whole gang getting their photo taken:
wormy1
Acolyte

Unread post by wormy1 »

It was Meiji-Jingu alright.
I visited there in mid-Nov 08. Too bad I missed the special festival where children go prayer in kimono. But the unexpected beautiful wedding ceremony filled the gap.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

From a walk in the park today. Tam 17-50/2.8, ISO200, F8, 1/320, SSS handheld. Tiny curve adjustment in IDC and "trimmed". In Elements: Levels adjust, cloned out some spots of remaining snow, and USM after resize.

Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.